Ma long serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022

In 3:53 Ma long serve side under serve but his racket angle is very similar to side topspin serve. I'm curious how it's even possible to create backspin with nearly vertical racket angle? Many chinese players do that but idk how.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
ML's bat is moving downwards slightly this adds backspin, he also 'shakes' his wrist at impact which adds some more spin.

Okay, that's really hard to see. I was also very impressed with fang bo serves .
https://youtu.be/2NFvEqTxt0E
For example first 2 serves are intresting. Second one is quite easy to tell that's with topspin but first one is very tricky. I don't even see a movement that could create a backspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
It's not a side under serve, but a float/no-spin serve. Joshida's flick clips the net probably because he tried to flick the ball aggressively while keeping the return as low as possible and did not quite compensate for the lack of spin on the float serve.

I think his serve has some spin, maybe little but it is not a float serve. What about Fang bo serve?

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I’ll concede to vvk1 & Tony, they are much better players than myself!! On closer inspection there is a slight push forward.
On my part it was watching but not seeing. This is one of the major aspects of reading spin.
We think we are watching the serve and ball like a hawk but actually we don’t