TTD Equipment reviews

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Reactions: DukeGaGa

NDH

says Spin to win!
Anyone else miss the TTD equipment reviews like cra/quote]
No, people are not calibrated machines so the reviews are just opinions.

How do you know if the review is accurate. It is just an opinion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute
Do you ever look back on your posts and try to look from a different point of view?

Without trying to be patronising, I think you’d find it quite useful.

Are things like equipment reviews perfect? No. They are not.

Is having the same people review lots of different equipment with the same drills extremely useful to “most” people? Yes, I’d say it was.

TT equipment is not cheap, and to have any sort of semi professional opinion before you buy a new rubber or blade is clearly, very useful to a lot of people.

Now, one off reviews from people are less useful. You have no benchmark, no understanding of their opinions on other blades or rubbers, so you are having to take a single view without context.

But if you’ve watched the TTD reviews, you already know what they think of the other rubbers, and you can compare their thoughts with something you’ve used (hopefully).

So even if you disagree with them on something, it’s still useful to be able to reference that in future reviews, knowing you have a difference of opinion on X or Y.

says Rozena! You complete me.
Anyone else miss the TTD equipment reviews like crazy? They cost me a lot of money in new blades and rubbers, but no one does the reviews better.
Sorry MtCollins,

Perhaps my post here is not directly in response to your query, but I just want to say a few words from my personal experience. With the money that one wishes to spend on equipment, it is better to be spend on engaging a professional coach. I am speaking from personal experience. Confession from a former Equipment Junkie.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
Sorry MtCollins,

Perhaps my post here is not directly in response to your query, but I just want to say a few words from my personal experience. With the money that one wishes to spend on equipment, it is better to be spend on engaging a professional coach. I am speaking from personal experience. Confession from a former Equipment Junkie.

Why don't you consider an option to try different equipment and engage coach at the same time?😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Sorry MtCollins,

Of course you're right, but unfortunately there are no coaches within a 3hr drive of my home. I just enjoy trying new equipment and every time I try something it seems I learn something new. There's fun in trying new stuff, and I figure fun is half the reason most of us play.

Reactions: jammmail
says Rozena! You complete me.
Of course you're right, but unfortunately there are no coaches within a 3hr drive of my home. I just enjoy trying new equipment and every time I try something it seems I learn something new. There's fun in trying new stuff, and I figure fun is half the reason most of us play.

So sorry to hear that you have no access to coach. I hope this situation may change in the future. The feeling of buying new equipment to test and still losing to your club mate is not so fun compared to maintaining a single good equipment set up that a professional coach recommends based on his reading of your style of play and start to win your club mates after taking several lessons.

Reactions: ClimbK2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Do you ever look back on your posts and try to look from a different point of view?

Without trying to be patronising, I think you’d find it quite useful.

Are things like equipment reviews perfect? No. They are not.

Is having the same people review lots of different equipment with the same drills extremely useful to “most” people? Yes, I’d say it was.

TT equipment is not cheap, and to have any sort of semi professional opinion before you buy a new rubber or blade is clearly, very useful to a lot of people.

Now, one off reviews from people are less useful. You have no benchmark, no understanding of their opinions on other blades or rubbers, so you are having to take a single view without context.

But if you’ve watched the TTD reviews, you already know what they think of the other rubbers, and you can compare their thoughts with something you’ve used (hopefully).

So even if you disagree with them on something, it’s still useful to be able to reference that in future reviews, knowing you have a difference of opinion on X or Y.

The same can be said of all reviews on this planet.
Is it helpful - yes, but you need to know how to look at it.

I can't imagine a world today, where anyone (other than a selective few), who will disregard reviews of say restaurants for example, as none of it is calibrated machines, but of peoples opinions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

There is nothing wrong with trying things out and having fun.
table tennis doesn't have to be a pro system/structure, and getting a coach, taking part in tournaments etc. It can also be entertainment and fun.
Just like those collectors, who love collecting different things.

I mean, if you can afford it, why not.
People have different hobbies and it is fine to follow your passion.

TTD is a lot quieter than before, not much equipment review compared to yester years.
You may just need to explore few forums, or even get onto overseas (non English forums) and use google translate.
There is a lot of info out there, just need to know where to search.
Of course knowing Chinese and English is a bonus.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

I feel you, I always say if you can’t be a pro level player, then at least you can get pro level gear, so you can be 1/2 pro. 😉

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
So sorry to hear that you have no access to coach. I hope this situation may change in the future. The feeling of buying new equipment to test and still losing to your club mate is not so fun compared to maintaining a single good equipment set up that a professional coach recommends based on his reading of your style of play and start to win your club mates after taking several lessons.

I'm the total opposite.
I don't care if I loose.
I'm long past the days of winning or loosing and getting headache over it.
If I wanted to focus on winning, I won't stop playing when I finished school and continue to train.

TT for me over the past decade (I came back into the sport in 2012), other than coaching, is for the purpose of exercising.
And I found out that while coaching, or acting as a sparring partner, I can also get a good work out.

But my body is not the same as before. Feeding 500 or so multi balls inside 30 mins to a top U15 player few days ago (with my new - lighter setup) was very straining.... does that mean I am getting old? 😭

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
The fun of TT is to do it, testing reviewing practice playing are all part of the fun, i used to play table tennis as a fun and hobby when i was younger say 17-24, but when i graduated from the university back in 2004 when i was 24 and had my second child and getting a job it turned my life upside down and i left TT for almost 10 years, through that 10 years i went to the university like once or twice every 1-2 years to meet a coach there and play with students by his permission, wasn't fit or into the game, not even with any assembled rackets.

By 2015, specifically or specially when that ITTF tournament was being held and happening in my country i had the trigger pulled for me to return back to TT, by that time i started to register or sign in the forums like this to ask and research, and i bought several products for tests, something i was happy with and something i wasn't, and i kept going, but about 3 years ago or 4 i slowed down because i got into astrophotography, and reviews are in everything even astro, so i couldn't waste longer more time for reviews about TT and astro and even microscopy, and by that i bought less and less products, now i am trying to buy like last batch of items/products i can and then i will never search again, i already have two nice blades i like very much, i just need to buy rubbers for them all the time it went dead, but last year and this year i transferred to defensive style and i started to like that more and winning more games by that, and for that i started shopping again only for defense.

For defensive style, i started looking at reviews again, including rubbers for FH to attack.

Reactions: Mtcollins
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
I didn't enjoy reviews from players or reviewers, no offence for you guys but sometimes I really like information from someone who buy unknown not hyped good equipment like Zwill or aliastheaka did with Tuttle rubber or even buying handmade blade from small company in Japan. Big respect for guys who are buying different type of equipment, not only ALTERNATIVE FOR TENERGY or VISCARIA

Reactions: ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I would like to ask Dan about some of his reviews. Dan is obviously a very good player that has played with lots of different equipment. One thing I have noticed is that Dan never has anything bad to say about the equipment.

I would like to ask Dan, what equipment does he use and why.
A follow up question is what can you do with your favorite equipment that you can't do with an alternative. For instance, what can you do with Dignics or T05 that you can't do with a Rakza 7? These rubbers are obviously different but not that different. There is no impulse that can generated with one that can't be generated with another.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
A follow up question is what can you do with your favorite equipment that you can't do with an alternative. For instance, what can you do with Dignics or T05 that you can't do with a Rakza 7? These rubbers are obviously different but not that different. There is no impulse that can generated with one that can't be generated with another.

practical experience

Tony using T05, on same blade and top spin (same me) to my practice partner. Has more difficulty in return the ball - ball goes off most of the time
Tony using Rakza 7, on same blade and same top spin (same me) to my practice partner (same person), he returns balls a lot more easily.

So what can't you do?
Well, I can do everything with both,
only difference is the quality of the ball and the result.

So how did I generate with one and not the other? Need scientists to research for me.
I'm doing the same things, but with different results

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.

I'm the total opposite.
I don't care if I loose.
I'm long past the days of winning or loosing and getting headache over it.
If I wanted to focus on winning, I won't stop playing when I finished school and continue to train.

TT for me over the past decade (I came back into the sport in 2012), other than coaching, is for the purpose of exercising.
And I found out that while coaching, or acting as a sparring partner, I can also get a good work out.

But my body is not the same as before. Feeding 500 or so multi balls inside 30 mins to a top U15 player few days ago (with my new - lighter setup) was very straining.... does that mean I am getting old? 😭

No, it means that 500 balls in 30 minutes is an inhumane amount, especially for the trainee🤣
I went back to training with my coach today, and relived my PTSD of one-one drills

This user has no status.
I didn't enjoy reviews from players or reviewers, no offence for you guys but sometimes I really like information from someone who buy unknown not hyped good equipment like Zwill or aliastheaka did with Tuttle rubber or even buying handmade blade from small company in Japan. Big respect for guys who are buying different type of equipment, not only ALTERNATIVE FOR TENERGY or VISCARIA
Maybe an alternative for ZJK ZLC?😉

This user has no status.

practical experience

Tony using T05, on same blade and top spin (same me) to my practice partner. Has more difficulty in return the ball - ball goes off most of the time
Tony using Rakza 7, on same blade and same top spin (same me) to my practice partner (same person), he returns balls a lot more easily.

So what can't you do?

So how did I generate with one and not the other? Need scientists to research for me.

It’s a certain feeling to tell if a piece of equipment is right. Reviews help guide us in that direction so we don’t have to buy thousands of rubbers.

Reactions: Mtcollins

practical experience

So what can't you do?

Your actually not doing the same thing, Your subconscious is holding You back because of lack of confidence. That’s why you need equipment that suits You. But You know this already…

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: brokenball
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Your actually not doing the same thing, Your subconscious is holding You back because of lack of confidence. That’s why you need equipment that suits You. But You know this already…

Cheers
L-zr

hahaha, funny

so that confidence will make that rakza 7 more powerful than me with half the confidence but with my primary FH rubber?
or maybe I am very confidence but that rakza 7 is no match to the power of my primary FH rubber
My primary FH rubber is DHS H3 Neo BS national, 41 degree, 2.1mm.

Rakza 7, T05 etc, is just too soft/musy for me for FH