New trend: Close to table aggressive attacking style

says Rozena! You complete me.
Dear coaches and trainers,

This post is more targeted at you guys / gals. If you are one, please response. I first heard about this new trend a while ago but never paid any attention to it until very recently. The context as follows:

1. My coach is telling me to come closer and closer to the table to hit my topspin shot ( Both BH & FH ). Close to table as in my hands are inside the table.
2. The timing is to hit just off the bounce. In his words, " Don't wait, hit it as soon as it bounce ". By the way the term hit is too generic, what he actually wants is for me to drive the ball ( meaning hit with spin; not mere flat hitting )
3. Don't stand behind to wait for the ball, you need to come forward and drive the ball back. Do not wait for the ball to come and hit you.

This style is naturally very uncomfortable to me, it feels very hurried and really mess up my laid back enjoy the moment have cup of coffee timing. I love to stand a little bit behind the table and let the ball come to me and plenty of time to hit it back, something like a tennis base line hit. Whereas my coach wants me to volley all the time. ( to borrow the parlance from tennis ).

Now comes to my question. Are the coaches teaching this style to your students these days en-masse. I am under the impression this style is more for girl players due to their weaker body strength. Do you also teach this style to male players who arguably can hit harder and from a further distance.

Discussions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Key-word: Aggressive, Counter-hitting / driving, Close to table or Inside table.

p/s He was teaching me how to do the Miu Hirano Hook / Shovel serve yesterday which I evidently sucks at. That is why I chosed the Miu Hirano video above.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
There is different zones to play the game.

1)The further back, the quicker/better footwork you need to have to reach a much wider ball.

2) Most points for weaker players are complete after 3 to 5 balls and most of these are near the table Thus, what is the purpose if you can hit hard and far away, but you have a weak 1~5 ball game.

3) This kind of style is not a new trend and has been around when I was still a baby.
Maybe it is a new trend to someone new to the sport, surprised that ERT think it is new, maybe he is young or new to the game.

Days before inverted rubbers on both sides, days of short pip chinese penhold attack players for example this style was common.
European style was the push out, far and beyond and top spin game.

4) judging by your videos and your level, your opponents ball are all pretty weak, so your coach is not wrong where you must come into the shot. Otherwise, there is literately no power from the ball you can use.

5) as a coach, and bought up with the Chinese style, close to table play is very common fundamentals for any beginners to learn to play.

Last edited:
There is different zones to play the game.

1)The further back, the quicker/better footwork you need to have to reach a much wider ball.

2) Most points for weaker players are complete after 3 to 5 balls and most of these are near the table Thus, what is the purpose if you can hit hard and far away, but you have a weak 1~5 ball game.

3) This kind of style is not a new trend and has been around when I was still a baby.
Maybe it is a new trend to someone new to the sport, surprised that ERT think it is new, maybe he is young or new to the game.

Days before inverted rubbers on both sides, days of short pip chinese penhold attack players for example this style was common.
European style was the push out, far and beyond and top spin game.

4) judging by your videos and your level, your opponents ball are all pretty weak, so your coach is not wrong where you must come into the shot. Otherwise, there is literately no power from the ball you can use.

5) as a coach, and bought up with the Chinese style, close to table play is very common fundamentals for any beginners to learn to play.
Oh! Thanks for your clarification / input.

Unless you are competing nationally, any style can thrive. Many of the top players in our province play mid distance looping.
I too have envisioned myself playing mainly mid distance looping. So this come closer and closer into the table is somehow strange to me at first until Tony explained it to me as above.

says Footwork footwork footwork
My coach also tells me the more “modern” game is closer and more square to the table with stronger emphasis on backhand than previously. We’re not to the point where I’m attacking everything off the bounce though...

My comfort zone is a step or two away, but really working on breaking that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
My coach also tells me the more “modern” game is closer and more square to the table with stronger emphasis on backhand than previously. We’re not to the point where I’m attacking everything off the bounce though...

My comfort zone is a step or two away, but really working on breaking that.

I would suggest that you completely trust your coach. Do as he says. He knows your weaknesses and strengths the best. That is what a good teacher is all about. Also, I 100% agree with what Tony has mentioned above. For amateur players, the game is much closer to table then back since we don't have that amazing footwork or correct positioning shot per shot basis.
Many people ignore the timing part when they think about power. It is always better to hit a quick stroke than a hard stroke and quick stroke is based on timing and not always power.

Reactions: Rock-Climber