Back to Forum
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Doum is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 3 13
    D
    Doum is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 13 3
    #1

    Return board

    I build a return board to practice with my outdoor table. I bought cheap rubbers on Aliexpress, and i already had the wood.

    It's fun and good practice. It really improved my BH topspin.

    Anyone else practice with a return board?

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3bl2jimvk...23438.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by Doum; 06-30-2022 at 11:28 AM.

  2. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,857 4,265
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 4,265 2,857

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    4,265
    2,857
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #2
    Looks great and very strong.

    i've always wondered, how long can those cheap rubbers last.
    obviously, yours is outdoor, so the durability might be shorter.

    How much did it cost you?
    I'm eager to find out, what is say the total cost over 2 or 3 years (maybe factoring in changing rubbers over x time frame to work out the total costs over a long period?)
    TTT

  3. Doum is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 3 13
    D
    Doum is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 13 3
    #3

    For 12 rubbers (Kokutaku 868) it cost me 35$ USD delivered, and maybe 10$ more for hardware. Obviously i don't leave them outside, so i think durability will be good. A few years maybe. And i keep my old rubbers, i will add patch if needed.


  4. harty is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 48 163
    H
    harty is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 163 48
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Doum

    For 12 rubbers (Kokutaku 868) it cost me 35$ USD delivered, and maybe 10$ more for hardware. Obviously i don't leave them outside, so i think durability will be good. A few years maybe. And i keep my old rubbers, i will add patch if needed.

    Great thing for practicing topspin !!! I trained a lot myself, my teammates admired my topspin.


  5. DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 292 580
    DukeGaGa's Avatar
    DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 580 292
    #5
    I trained using rebound boards for quite some time. I’d say training your topspin isn’t the most important feature of it, the feedback is. When training by yourself, the thing you lack the most is feedback, the rebound board will provide that.

  6. harty is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 48 163
    H
    harty is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 163 48
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeGaGa
    I trained using rebound boards for quite some time. I’d say training your topspin isn’t the most important feature of it, the feedback is. When training by yourself, the thing you lack the most is feedback, the rebound board will provide that.

    This is certainly true, but they will learn the topspin technique well. As an intermediate, you will learn topspin faster.
    Even the best players have a "multiball slave", that's the basis !!!


  7. DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 292 580
    DukeGaGa's Avatar
    DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 580 292
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by harty

    This is certainly true, but they will learn the topspin technique well. As an intermediate, you will learn topspin faster.
    Even the best players have a "multiball slave", that's the basis !!!

    I’m saying they learn it well because of the feedback the board provides. If you are only hitting with a robot, the only thing you know is whether the ball landed on the table and in what position, you don’t know what spin or how much spin is on the ball. A rebound board will give you that information, and it also gives you a target to focus on, you’ll learn to control you stroke much better with a rebound board to generate the spin you want because you have the feedback from it.


  8. harty is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 48 163
    H
    harty is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 163 48
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeGaGa

    I’m saying they learn it well because of the feedback the board provides. If you are only hitting with a robot, the only thing you know is whether the ball landed on the table and in what position, you don’t know what spin or how much spin is on the ball. A rebound board will give you that information, and it also gives you a target to focus on, you’ll learn to control you stroke much better with a rebound board to generate the spin you want because you have the feedback from it.

    we do not understand each other. I agree with what you say. you do not take into account the different game levels.
    the board is only used to play topspin against the block and in forehand and backhand combinations if you have two boards. the board doesn't offer other options, that's why I quoted multiball.
    I would not question the bounce plate at all. As a basic routine, it is excellent.


  9. DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 292 580
    DukeGaGa's Avatar
    DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 580 292
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by harty

    we do not understand each other. I agree with what you say. you do not take into account the different game levels.
    the board is only used to play topspin against the block and in forehand and backhand combinations if you have two boards. the board doesn't offer other options, that's why I quoted multiball.
    I would not question the bounce plate at all. As a basic routine, it is excellent.

    You are right, we don't understand each other. Because all I'm saying is, the rebound board is helpful because it provides feedback, anything you learn from it is because of the feedback, it's called a rebound (return) board, you get feedback from the ball it rebounds (returns) to you, that's why it is helpful. It has nothing to do with your level, because all it does is bounce the ball back to you, where the spin and speed of the ball is due to your input, and the type of rubber you put on the board. That is, if it returns a ball with lots of spin, that's because you gave it lots of spin, if it bounced off the table, it's because you hitting too hard, or added unwanted spin on the ball, and that's how you learn, from what the ball does that is returned to you by the board, not from just hitting the ball and see where it lands. And I have no idea why you want to bring multi-ball into this discussion, as it has nothing to do with the board at all, if you want to compare it would actually be single-ball practice as the board is meant to be a replacement for a coach/player that blocks your ball back to you.

    Also, you are wrong that the board can only be used to practice topspin, it can be used to practice short game pushes as well.

    Last edited by DukeGaGa; 06-30-2022 at 05:24 PM.

  10. Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 518 803
    Gozo's Avatar
    Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 803 518
    #10
    My return board practice session.

    I recalled that during the Covid Pandemic lockdown period, I played on the return board everyday to pass time. This was how I develop my FH topspin game ( NB: At that time I have not engaged any professional coaching yet )

  11. Kolev is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 106 349
    K
    Kolev is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 349 106
    #11
    I am pretty sure the return board helps improving consistency and maintaining a good phisical condition. There are endless drill possibilities. The things that we can't practice with the RB are pushes, chops, lobs......or defensive shots in general

  12. IB66 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 631 1,189
    I
    IB66 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,189 631

    User Info Menu

    #12
    Never used a return board, played against a wall !!! Which sends your spin back at you similar to LP. Play a top spin and return ball is like a chopped ( back spin ) ball. Adding the rubber surface to the RB does actually ‘reverse’ the spin, so returned ball has top spin. Nice!!!

  13. DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 292 580
    DukeGaGa's Avatar
    DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 580 292
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolev
    I am pretty sure the return board helps improving consistency and maintaining a good phisical condition. There are endless drill possibilities. The things that we can't practice with the RB are pushes, chops, lobs......or defensive shots in general

    You can practice pushes, if you position it correctly, the other ones not so much. Just watch the video on the front page of https://wallyrebounder.com

    Last edited by DukeGaGa; 07-03-2022 at 02:51 PM.

  14. Littledragonman7 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 14 41
    L
    Littledragonman7 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 41 14
    #14
    i have seen a return board at a friend's place, but did not ask to try it (trip was to hit with him, not against the board)

    is it possible to use anti rubber or pips (of different lengths) to practice against?

    just wondering ...

  15. Kolev is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 106 349
    K
    Kolev is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 349 106
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledragonman7
    i have seen a return board at a friend's place, but did not ask to try it (trip was to hit with him, not against the board)

    is it possible to use anti rubber or pips (of different lengths) to practice against?

    just wondering ...

    I have tried to glue different rubbers together , LP, SP, inverted but it didn't work as expected. The rubbers must be the same type


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.