Performing the Falkenberg Drill

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Brilliant performances.
Of course living in a provincial town of a 3rd world country I never even saw multi-ball done in our clubs.
My only exercise is with my robot.

I wonder if in this Falkenberg drill the feed is known to the receiver and is always the same routine or will the coach try to
catch you out by serving "unpredictable"

I kindof bought the habit of multi ball training to South Africa.
together with that, I also imported my own branded balls - half the price of any quality brands, and of the same quality too.
But mutliball is still not used enough, maybe people can't feed properly.

The quality of training partners is low, so training is limited in terms of quality and number of hits in a rally.
So multiball is crucial to push the player far enough to improve.

Most multiball or fixed drill feed - the receiver knows what is coming.
For advance players, the coaches could add a surprise here or there, or also push/place a ball into a more uncomfortable position.

There is a danger to moving too early, because it is not realistic.
So the feed needs to also be correctly paced and slowed down a bit to go for those wider angle balls.

I tried to promote the culture of multiball, get 2 or 3 players in a group, and then you have your training group.
1 feed, 1 hit, 1 pick up balls.

cross over is feet - correct, same as pivot is a footwork.
we say pivot fh, cross over wide fh etc.

maybe for beginners, I may need to be more clear on the terminologies.
but for any one with former training, I think the above terms should be easily understood

Different nationality different terminology. For instantaneous on this forum all strokes with topspin are called loops. For me a loop must have have dominant spin on the scale for spin/speed ratio. Actually in the old days almost only brushed hits were considered loops. All other strokes with topspin were called drives. Not to mention all the Chinese terminology…

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: VictorMoraga
In my club it’s reserved for payed sessions with a trainer. Most session are too crowded, so it’s not convenient. Anyway I think it’s a bit overrated when I’m just there for having fun and a bit of exercise. I can compete anyway.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Different nationality different terminology. For instantaneous on this forum all strokes with topspin are called loops. For me a loop must have have dominant spin on the scale for spin/speed ratio. Actually in the old days almost only brushed hits were considered loops. All other strokes with topspin were called drives. Not to mention all the Chinese terminology…

Cheers
L-zr

I'm talking feet, you talking hand since my first post.
Footwork has no conflicting names in many countries I've been to.
pivot is the same, cross over is the same.

Someone else already explained above, you can't pivot and then 2 side steps to the wide forehand
It is too old school, too slow.
Today's game, is to cross over step to reach a far ball.

If the multiball feed in OP was top spin feed, or if it was a right hander feed, placing the far fh at an angle, how can you get to it without cross over?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Nope never heard crossover before. I’ve been doing this for almost 50 years.

that is very sad then
table tennis has evolved a lot, so have a lot of skills sets, especially footwork.

So if you can't cross over to attack a wide forehand,
what do you teach the players there by you?

Go over and scoop the ball in the air and start playing a lobbing game?

Last edited:

that is very sad then
table tennis has evolved a lot, so have a lot of skills sets, especially footwork.

So if you can't cross over to attack a wide forehand,
what do you teach the players there by you?

Go over and scoop the ball in the air and start playing a lobbing game?

Or attack with BH… I don’t teach anybody anything and what the kids are thought today I have no idea. Not interested really…
You should check out the veterans World Cup that is ongoing and see how grown ups play…

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Or attack with BH… I don’t teach anybody anything and what the kids are thought today I have no idea. Not interested really…
You should check out the veterans World Cup that is ongoing and see how grown ups play…

attack with BH on the far forehand side?
okay, i'm starting to think you are joking with me.
sure, let me check the grown ups play, especially that BH on the far FH side.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
just fyi, the Chinese name of this practice is 推侧扑, which literally translates to push - side - pounce, that’s why usually the feed should be downspin - topspin - topspin, because it’s used to simulate a third ball attack and follow up counter: opponent downspin serve -> push or loop depending on distance -> opponent loop to your backhand side -> side step loop -> opponent counter loop to forehand corner -> cross step loop.

attack with BH on the far forehand side?
okay, i'm starting to think you are joking with me.
sure, let me check the grown ups play, especially that BH on the far FH side.

No we were talking about cross over to get to play FH from the BH side and I said crossover is a recipe for disaster.

• Haha
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
No we were talking about cross over to get to play FH from the BH side and I said crossover is a recipe for disaster.

No, playing a FH from the BH side is called a pivot.

When your opponent plays the next ball to your wide FH side, the footwork that you can then do to get to it is called crossover footwork (or cross-step).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Lazer,

Just curious, if cross over is undesirable for you to play a wide FH shot whilst you are at the far BH corner, what method of locomotion do you do to recover to get that wide FH return?

Are you telling me, that I can "cross over"??? No Lazer, I'm telling you, when you are ready, you won't have to!

• Haha
Reactions: Richie
Are you telling me, that I can "cross over"??? No Lazer, I'm telling you, when you are ready, you won't have to
😀 😁This discussion is silly. You can get Your answer by looking at the posted videos. This will tell you who is in any shape to perform this “acrobatic circus act” 😜

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Lazer,

Just curious, if cross over is undesirable for you to play a wide FH shot whilst you are at the far BH corner, what method of locomotion do you do to recover to get that wide FH return?

some guessing

1. watch the ball go pass
2. use two side stepping movement to get to a position, but will be too slow and late, but maybe can try and lob the ball back/scoop the ball in and start being in a defensive position
3. learn cross over step

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I really like that you do Falkenbergaren with Stellan. At my first camp in Falkenberg i remember him using a scissor and cut a players shoe where the big toe is so the players could practice despite his hurting toe.

I do not believe the cross step is used much anymore since everyone is so backhandoriented. If you are very forehandoriented i think it still is relevant.
I try to have more focus that my players step around at a good ball and makes the ball after they have pivoted so good so they do not need to do the cross over step.

But again, depends on how you play and different ideas i believe.

We have one old chinese coach that teach it but another friend of mine have coached top 10 players in the world and he finds it old fashioned.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
https://youtu.be/hTLuhix7KVotoo much waffle but after looking at this short video it all make sense............................I never learned it but do it automaticallybecause it must be the natural thing to do

How/where you, and especially the dominant foot, land after the cross-over move and FH hit, decides how well you can recover for the next shot. There was this video on youtube, I can't find anymore, perhaps not available anymore. It was with demonstration, and description/explanation about this detail. But here, Seth Pech speaks about it too. I am posting it, because in the video you posted it appears a bit sub-optimal. Perhaps because they wanted to show just one hit.

I agree and I think too in a sense it is natural, to land a bit lower, and land with the dominant foot a bit wider, functioning as a kind of a brake, and then you can quickly rebound, which is the objective. Anyway, I thought I'd mention it, and I think Seth Pech demonstrates it very well.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
How/where you, and especially the dominant foot, land after the cross-over move and FH hit, decides how well you can recover for the next shot. There was this video on youtube, I can't find anymore, perhaps not available anymore. It was with demonstration, and description/explanation about this detail. But here, Seth Pech speaks about it too. I am posting it, because in the video you posted it appears a bit sub-optimal. Perhaps because they wanted to show just one hit.

I agree and I think too in a sense it is natural, to land a bit lower, and land with the dominant foot a bit wider, functioning as a kind of a brake, and then you can quickly rebound, which is the objective. Anyway, I thought I'd mention it, and I think Seth Pech demonstrates it very well.

Thank Latej,
As I am a lefty, normally when i do get one of those wide shots they do not come back. This is for several different reasons:

a) the opponent is so stumped that his shot gets returned he/she freezes up and goes and picks up the ball
b) my return FH shot is complete shit and lands far away from the table, the opponent has a laugh but still goes and picks up the ball.
c) .....and this happens very rarely, my return shot is placed so my opponent can not get at it at all,,,,,,,,,yes, you guessed it, he/she has to go and pick up the ball 😁