How do you stop people from lobbing?

This user has no status.
Hello, I'm a wheelchair table tennis player and almost always play against abled body players, currently i can beat everyone i play apart from one. This is because that player chooses (quite smartly) to lob high balls to me, which makes it very difficult to play against, i've tried a few things to try and break up his lobbing returns such as: drop shots, blocking and switch directions, changing up the spin to make it harder for them to judge placement and miss the table. Drop shots and constant spin variation trip them out a bit enough to make the matches somewhat even. But I wonder if anyone else has any tips or ideas of ways to interrupt the flow of a consistent lobber?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Hello, I'm a wheelchair table tennis player and almost always play against abled body players, currently i can beat everyone i play apart from one. This is because that player chooses (quite smartly) to lob high balls to me, which makes it very difficult to play against, i've tried a few things to try and break up his lobbing returns such as: drop shots, blocking and switch directions, changing up the spin to make it harder for them to judge placement and miss the table. Drop shots and constant spin variation trip them out a bit enough to make the matches somewhat even. But I wonder if anyone else has any tips or ideas of ways to interrupt the flow of a consistent lobber?

Tell this player to stop being a dick😂

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021

Para table tennis - Wikipedia

I just read Wikipedia on Para TT and there is no rule that forbid lobbing for sitting players ( players who are wheelchair bound ). I guess you just have to deal with it. My only thought so far is to give him short balls.

Keep on pongin fellow TT player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
If you're playing against lobbers, you should start expecting the lob and be ready to start heading back for a smash of a lob at any time. Practice anticipating when you see your opponent begin to drop low before hitting high into the lob. If they're constantly lobbing, consider playing a couple steps back or so at the kitchen line. You can always take a step forward if necessary, and by taking a couple steps back, you'll be that much closer to smashing the lob back at them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

hi goldenflame
i have trained with some high level wheel chair guys, and of course i lobbed in matches with them with some varied success. But its very hard work because they are all very good and patient blockers twiddling and varying length and pace
i think. yr best bet is to develop a consistent counterhit twiddle strategy. Your comfort zone is the rapid pace wearing down of yr opponent so to slow things down and tempt you to to overhit they lob. Its a classic tactical clash with a very high level of skill required by both sides. If you search for Colin Judge an irish wheelchair you should find some videos which should help a lot
good luck

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
If you're playing against lobbers, you should start expecting the lob and be ready to start heading back for a smash of a lob at any time. Practice anticipating when you see your opponent begin to drop low before hitting high into the lob. If they're constantly lobbing, consider playing a couple steps back or so at the kitchen line. You can always take a step forward if necessary, and by taking a couple steps back, you'll be that much closer to smashing the lob back at them.

with all due respect but there is NO quick-stepping when sitting in a wheelchair

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.

hi goldenflame
i have trained with some high level wheel chair guys, and of course i lobbed in matches with them with some varied success. But its very hard work because they are all very good and patient blockers twiddling and varying length and pace
i think. yr best bet is to develop a consistent counterhit twiddle strategy. Your comfort zone is the rapid pace wearing down of yr opponent so to slow things down and tempt you to to overhit they lob. Its a classic tactical clash with a very high level of skill required by both sides. If you search for Colin Judge an irish wheelchair you should find some videos which should help a lot
good luck

Thank you so very much, yes i'll watch some of their games. And yea I love to block too, I find it just works so well when you are low and so close to the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

Thank you so very much, yes i'll watch some of their games. And yea I love to block too, I find it just works so well when you are low and so close to the table.

i just noticed that you seem to favour tenergy both side.
i would suggest that if you are aiming to play tournaments that some sort of combo setup would be more effective though it would require many practice hours.
you need a setup that maximises your. ability to keep the ball on the table.
some tactical thoughts:
Dealing with lobs
Dont feel that you have to kill the ball. learning to block keeps the opponent close in and vulnerable to fast punch shots
General direction of play: down the middle because it cramps the opponent, Be aware that playing towards corner can give opponent opportunity for winning angles out of your reach.
STudy your own capabilities: Your extreme bh corner is likely to be a weakness because you have to reach across your own body, so position yr chair to get best out of fh and bh reach wise. A slightly longer racket handle could be considered
If changing hands mid rally is something you can manage it could be worth the practice time - a fun skill to have too

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have no experience with that but here is a world class wheelchair player playing a pretty good player (2100 German TTR according to video)

https://youtu.be/Q-RlmS8GMy0

Obviously that player doesn't really lob but still the wheelchair player often uses a kinda soft block directly off the bounce mixed with some hard punch blocks.

​​​​​​Maybe that could work against lob too.

Last edited: