Back to Forum
    says Spin, Not Speed

TTD Member 0 6
    G
    says Spin, Not Speed

TTD Member 6 0

How do you stop people from lobbing?

Hello, I'm a wheelchair table tennis player and almost always play against abled body players, currently i can beat everyone i play apart from one. This is because that player chooses (quite smartly) to lob high balls to me, which makes it very difficult to play against, i've tried a few things to try and break up his lobbing returns such as: drop shots, blocking and switch directions, changing up the spin to make it harder for them to judge placement and miss the table. Drop shots and constant spin variation trip them out a bit enough to make the matches somewhat even. But I wonder if anyone else has any tips or ideas of ways to interrupt the flow of a consistent lobber?

says TT-CLOWN, old git

Elite TTD Member 490 1,341
    L
    says TT-CLOWN, old git

Elite TTD Member 1,341 490

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame
    Hello, I'm a wheelchair table tennis player and almost always play against abled body players, currently i can beat everyone i play apart from one. This is because that player chooses (quite smartly) to lob high balls to me, which makes it very difficult to play against, i've tried a few things to try and break up his lobbing returns such as: drop shots, blocking and switch directions, changing up the spin to make it harder for them to judge placement and miss the table. Drop shots and constant spin variation trip them out a bit enough to make the matches somewhat even. But I wonder if anyone else has any tips or ideas of ways to interrupt the flow of a consistent lobber?

Tell this player to stop being a dick😂

The Following 3 Users Like lodro's Post:

cytivrat, driversbeat and 1 other

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,871 4,273
    T
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 4,273 2,871

User Info Menu

Sep 2013
    South Africa
    Read 3 Reviews

drop shot - the same for able bodied player.
    he can't lob if it will be 5 bounces before the end of the table

The Following User Likes Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

GoldenFlame

TTT

says May the Spin be with you!

Senior TTD Member 518 803
    says May the Spin be with you!

Senior TTD Member 803 518

Para table tennis - Wikipedia

I just read Wikipedia on Para TT and there is no rule that forbid lobbing for sitting players ( players who are wheelchair bound ). I guess you just have to deal with it. My only thought so far is to give him short balls.

Keep on pongin fellow TT player.

says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)

Senior TTD Member 384 714
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)

Senior TTD Member 714 384
    I’ve found that if you lob back, they can’t resist attacking🙂

The Following User Likes PingBirdPong's Post:

driversbeat

Achieve your dreams, or die trying.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 24 128
    C
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 128 24
    Play on his body. Not to the sides of the table. He needs to move much better for that.

Also let him move back to front instead of left to right. That´s much more difficult.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 7
    K
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 7 2

User Info Menu

Jul 2022
    Canada
    Read 0 Reviews
    If you're playing against lobbers, you should start expecting the lob and be ready to start heading back for a smash of a lob at any time. Practice anticipating when you see your opponent begin to drop low before hitting high into the lob. If they're constantly lobbing, consider playing a couple steps back or so at the kitchen line. You can always take a step forward if necessary, and by taking a couple steps back, you'll be that much closer to smashing the lob back at them.

says Spin, Not Speed

TTD Member 0 6
    G
    says Spin, Not Speed

TTD Member 6 0
    Thank you all for all the suggestions, very helpful

says Warning Don't take internet trolls seriously

Senior TTD Member 215 726
    says Warning Don't take internet trolls seriously

Senior TTD Member 726 215

User Info Menu

Jan 2012
    Former Soviet Union
    Read 0 Reviews
    THE POWER OF DROPHOTS.

LESSON 1.

LESSON 2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1T6BrRLrFg

A good muscular reactivity is the only thing you need to dampen the "lobbing devils" down. Doing abrupt dropshots shall dampen the lobbing zeal to nothing.

Be happy.

The Following User Likes igorponger's Post:

GoldenFlame

Last edited by igorponger; 07-03-2022 at 03:43 PM.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 173 238
    P
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 238 173

User Info Menu

Jul 2019
    Ireland
    Read 0 Reviews

hi goldenflame
    i have trained with some high level wheel chair guys, and of course i lobbed in matches with them with some varied success. But its very hard work because they are all very good and patient blockers twiddling and varying length and pace
    i think. yr best bet is to develop a consistent counterhit twiddle strategy. Your comfort zone is the rapid pace wearing down of yr opponent so to slow things down and tempt you to to overhit they lob. Its a classic tactical clash with a very high level of skill required by both sides. If you search for Colin Judge an irish wheelchair you should find some videos which should help a lot
    good luck

The Following 3 Users Like pingpongpaddy's Post:

Dr Evil, GoldenFlame and 1 other

ppp

bh
    spinpips chop2
    yinhe ayous wood 1 ply
    fh
    max moristo sp

says TT-CLOWN, old git

Elite TTD Member 490 1,341
    L
    says TT-CLOWN, old git

Elite TTD Member 1,341 490

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kater753
    If you're playing against lobbers, you should start expecting the lob and be ready to start heading back for a smash of a lob at any time. Practice anticipating when you see your opponent begin to drop low before hitting high into the lob. If they're constantly lobbing, consider playing a couple steps back or so at the kitchen line. You can always take a step forward if necessary, and by taking a couple steps back, you'll be that much closer to smashing the lob back at them.

with all due respect but there is NO quick-stepping when sitting in a wheelchair

The Following User Likes lodro's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

says Spin, Not Speed

TTD Member 0 6
    G
    says Spin, Not Speed

TTD Member 6 0
    Quote Originally Posted by pingpongpaddy

hi goldenflame
    i have trained with some high level wheel chair guys, and of course i lobbed in matches with them with some varied success. But its very hard work because they are all very good and patient blockers twiddling and varying length and pace
    i think. yr best bet is to develop a consistent counterhit twiddle strategy. Your comfort zone is the rapid pace wearing down of yr opponent so to slow things down and tempt you to to overhit they lob. Its a classic tactical clash with a very high level of skill required by both sides. If you search for Colin Judge an irish wheelchair you should find some videos which should help a lot
    good luck

Thank you so very much, yes i'll watch some of their games. And yea I love to block too, I find it just works so well when you are low and so close to the table.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 173 238
    P
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 238 173

User Info Menu

Jul 2019
    Ireland
    Read 0 Reviews

Thank you so very much, yes i'll watch some of their games. And yea I love to block too, I find it just works so well when you are low and so close to the table.

i just noticed that you seem to favour tenergy both side.
    i would suggest that if you are aiming to play tournaments that some sort of combo setup would be more effective though it would require many practice hours.
    you need a setup that maximises your. ability to keep the ball on the table.
    some tactical thoughts:
    Dealing with lobs
    Dont feel that you have to kill the ball. learning to block keeps the opponent close in and vulnerable to fast punch shots
    General direction of play: down the middle because it cramps the opponent, Be aware that playing towards corner can give opponent opportunity for winning angles out of your reach.
    STudy your own capabilities: Your extreme bh corner is likely to be a weakness because you have to reach across your own body, so position yr chair to get best out of fh and bh reach wise. A slightly longer racket handle could be considered
    If changing hands mid rally is something you can manage it could be worth the practice time - a fun skill to have too

ppp

bh
    spinpips chop2
    yinhe ayous wood 1 ply
    fh
    max moristo sp

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 158 381
    D
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 381 158

User Info Menu

Jul 2017
    Germany
    Read 0 Reviews
    I have no experience with that but here is a world class wheelchair player playing a pretty good player (2100 German TTR according to video)

https://youtu.be/Q-RlmS8GMy0

Obviously that player doesn't really lob but still the wheelchair player often uses a kinda soft block directly off the bounce mixed with some hard punch blocks.

​​​​​​Maybe that could work against lob too.
    Last edited by Dominikk85; 07-05-2022 at 12:31 PM.