Beginner ALL+/OFF- ~50$ blade with the most potential – yet another blade recommendat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
I will preface by saying that I have not read this entire thread, but I just wanted to pitch in my own two cents. I am an intermediate (~1400-1500 USATT) player, and I recently switched back to an all-wood blade after playing with a carbon blade for about 8 months, seeking more control and feedback while I continue to improve my form. I tested the XIOM Offensive S, Tibhar Stratus Power Wood, and Yasaka Sweden Extra, all using the same rubber setup (H3 and Rakza Z). XIOM was disqualified for me due to it's over large handle, and mediocre feel on touch shots. The Tibhar SPW and YSE both felt good in drills, with the SPW being softer, and the YSE a bit crispier with it's feedback. I originally tried to play matches with the SPW, but found that the softer feedback wasn't helping me, and I was having trouble with touch shots. I much preferred the clear and direct feedback from the YSE, even though it is a little bit stiffer. With good form, I can still generate more than enough spin and speed, and I am much more confident in my shots. The finish on the SPW is really good, the wings come lightly sanded and the handle is nice, if a bit of an odd shape. It is more of an oval than normal, very thin vertically but wide horizontally. The YSE has a mediocre finish by comparison, but the material quality is good and I was able to sand it down to my preference quite easily.

TL;DR: Of all the all+/off- wood blades I have played with, the YSE gives by far the best feedback. It is a bit stiffer than most, but I think it is a worthwhile trade off for improved control. It performs as well as your form will allow for spin based shots at an intermediate level, and the consistency of feedback allowed my to hit better quality shots when compared to "softer" and more flexible blades.

Thank you for detailed information. I guess since no blades are mentioned multiple times except YSE and TSPW it's is between them, I am just little bit scared about TSPW size and handle. Too bad nobody has any opinions on Andro :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

Thank you for detailed information. I guess since no blades are mentioned multiple times except YSE and TSPW it's is between them, I am just little bit scared about TSPW size and handle. Too bad nobody has any opinions on Andro :(

Ya, a lot of the Andro blades are on the newer side, so generally people have less experience with them. I also considered the Gauzy BL5/7, but I was more interested in 5 ply blades and the BL5 is slower than the others I considered, definitely ALL, not ALL+/OFF-.

Another point I will make in favor of the YSE is that the feel and feedback you get is much more similar to most carbon blades than the others I tried. The hard outer oak gives a similar type of feedback to blades like Viscaria or Hurricane 301, which have a hard outer koto veneer. I am not claiming those three are at all similar, but they all in the same zip code when it comes to a crispy feel on blocks and drives. If you think at some point you may want to move to a carbon blade, switching from a YSE will probably be an easier transition than switching from the SPW, which is a typical soft and flexible wood feel.

Reactions: ttarc and jura
Yasaka Sweden Extra has quite a thin FL handle in my opinion, so if you are afraid of a big handle it is a plus.
The only con of the blade for me is that it is much harder to do finish strokes. Probably because of flexibility + handle size for me (I have a big hand). I'm much more precise with stiffer blades like Clipper.
Other than that the blade is a brilliant. Especially for learning and technic development. And especially because of its price!

I've tried a lot of rubbers on it.

Xiom Vega X + DHS Hurricane 8-80 may be an interesting combination to start.

Not super aggressive tensor + hybrid rubber so you can learn from different rubber "worlds".
Also Palio AK47 Blue fits just nice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Hey Jura.
What blade did you finally decide on?
And what rubbers did you pair it with?
Any review of your final setup would be great 😊
Cheers 👍