Beginner ALL+/OFF- ~50$ blade with the most potential – yet another blade recommendat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Hey guys, I‘m looking for recommendation for ALL+/OFF- ~50$ blade with reasonable control and spin for beginner to develop technique correctly, but with the most potential to be used further down the line as an intermediate blade using appropriate rubbers, should I improve.

I returned to playing table tennis once a week after couple of years with friends who play some local league. I understand differrent types of strokes, but sometimes struggle with execution. I have premade Donic racket which I would like to replace with something slightly on the offensive side, with moderate control and spin, larger sweet spot if possible and good balance. Also I‘d prefer it to be made in Europe instead of China.

I‘ve done some research, but did end up optionally paralyzed (as I often do) and I already spent way more time on selection than I should for a blade at this price point, but I still want to select the best blade to stick with it for a longer time. Found a few options:

Yasaka Sweden Extra
Gewo Zoom Balance All+
Gewo Zoom Pro Off-
Andro Timber 5 ALL/S
Andro Timber 5 Off
Andro Timber 7 OFF
Andro Gauzy BL5
Andro Gauzy BL7
Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
Tibhar Samsonov Force PRO

Should I be conservative and go with Yasaka Sweden Extra or go wild with Tibar Stratus Power Wood, which looks great but I am little bit worried cause of often mentioned size, headheavyness and handle size (I am a smaller guy - 175cm with not that large hands). I would also like to hear some opinions on listed Andro an Gewo blades, since I wasn‘t able to find enough info. And for Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro – I know it‘s probably more advanced selection, but found a good price on it so I did put it in here. I am looking for some recommendation or additional info from more experienced players to help me solve this puzzle :)

Reactions: BGrzyb
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Hey guys, I‘m looking for recommendation for ALL+/OFF- ~50$ blade with reasonable control and spin for beginner to develop technique correctly, but with the most potential to be used further down the line as an intermediate blade using appropriate rubbers, should I improve.

I returned to playing table tennis once a week after couple of years with friends who play some local league. I understand differrent types of strokes, but sometimes struggle with execution. I have premade Donic racket which I would like to replace with something slightly on the offensive side, with moderate control and spin, larger sweet spot if possible and good balance. Also I‘d prefer it to be made in Europe instead of China.

I‘ve done some research, but did end up optionally paralyzed (as I often do) and I already spent way more time on selection than I should for a blade at this price point, but I still want to select the best blade to stick with it for a longer time. Found a few options:

Yasaka Sweden Extra
Gewo Zoom Balance All+
Gewo Zoom Pro Off-
Andro Timber 5 ALL/S
Andro Timber 5 Off
Andro Timber 7 OFF
Andro Gauzy BL5
Andro Gauzy BL7
Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
Tibhar Samsonov Force PRO

Should I be conservative and go with Yasaka Sweden Extra or go wild with Tibar Stratus Power Wood, which looks great but I am little bit worried cause of often mentioned size, headheavyness and handle size (I am a smaller guy - 175cm with not that large hands). I would also like to hear some opinions on listed Andro an Gewo blades, since I wasn‘t able to find enough info. And for Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro – I know it‘s probably more advanced selection, but found a good price on it so I did put it in here. I am looking for some recommendation or additional info from more experienced players to help me solve this puzzle :)

If you are serious about improving, I personally think it is fine to get a slightly faster wood blade. If you train for good technique, I think you will quickly adapt to the slight increase in speed, and it will serve you a bit longer until you want something even faster. If you can get a good price for the Samsonov, I think that would be a solid blade that can last for a very long time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Hi jura, I liked Donic Persson Powerplay some time ago. At the same time, I don't have much experiences with wood-only blades. As you say, there are myrriads of choices, the same is true for rubbers, and in clubs virtually everyone plays with something different, and some older players have variations in thicknesses, so it really is a true jungle. But you will start making sense of it, as the :) abstraction goes a bit higher. In blades it depends on the composition (put simply), perhaps you already know the ttgearlab site (https://ttgearlab.wordpress.com/) and also hipnotic explains stuff on his page (https://www.sdcttblades.com/nerdy-stuff). Imo, training is more important than equipment. And regarding equipment, I believe that when you start to develop some feeling and preferences for the materials (and here I think some part of it is simply being convinced that you want to use what you use :), that then it is best to buy a blade from a maker like Vodak or hipnotic or other, rather than going for big company blade. Which can be great too. Btw. what rubbers do you plan to go for?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
You can add to your list Donic Waldner Senso Carbon

Thanks, I'll consider it, from what I've read carbon blade is not often recommended for beginner players, but this one seems like it is more beginner friendly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

If you are serious about improving, I personally think it is fine to get a slightly faster wood blade. If you train for good technique, I think you will quickly adapt to the slight increase in speed, and it will serve you a bit longer until you want something even faster. If you can get a good price for the Samsonov, I think that would be a solid blade that can last for a very long time.

Thanks for the advice. I've found Samsonov for the same price as TSPW. Both have good reviews. From what I've read Samsonov should be somewhat close to TSPW. Only thing I am worried about is often mentioned larger handle size.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Thanks latej

The sdcttblades site provides great info, thanks for that. I've read similar information from other articles and used that to pick those blades I've listed, so I believe there shouldn't be any horrible choice :D and as you said, I'll just pick one and try to adapt. Those custom blades looks great and while I would definatelly would like to support Vodak as a Czech blade, they are too expensive for my level.

For rubbers which I forgot to mention I was thinking something like FH: Vega X/Pro/Asia BH: Vega Euro. BH seems like a safe choice but FH i still haven't decided, would like somthing tiny bit faster than Vega Euro. Other options I've found were Donic Barracuda, Andro Rasanter/Hexer, Yasaka Rakza 7 soft.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
You can add to your list Donic Waldner Senso Carbon

Wrong call, it costs more.

I'd suggest the Waldner Diablo Senso with glassfiber, won't be produced anymore but some shops in Europe still have some. OFF- 1300 Hz

Donic Waldner Senso V2 for the ALL/ALL+ game 1200 Hz
Donic Waldner Senso V1 a tad faster, ALL+/OFF- 1250 Hz or so

All those blades are cheaper than your 50€ mark/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
BTW, I know all those Donic blades I've mentioned and played them all for 2 decades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into that. Also soon there should be available new blade from donic with some textile fibres which looks interesting, but it will be a tad more expensive - DONIC Classic Power Allround.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
The sdcttblades site provides great info, thanks for that. I've read similar information from other articles and used that to pick those blades I've listed, so I believe there shouldn't be any horrible choice :D and as you said, I'll just pick one and try to adapt. Those custom blades looks great and while I would definatelly would like to support Vodak as a Czech blade, they are too expensive for my level.

Yes, it is not cheapest. You've done more research than initially visible, that's good. I also like your decision to stay away from cheaper blades available via ALI - here you can be really lucky - or not, and I, for example, wasn't :). Then later when you go for more major brand - perhaps not now, perhaps later - then Vodak is not really more expensive.

For rubbers which I forgot to mention I was thinking something like FH: Vega X/Pro/Asia BH: Vega Euro. BH seems like a safe choice but FH i still haven't decided, would like somthing tiny bit faster than Vega Euro. Other options I've found were Donic Barracuda, Andro Rasanter/Hexer, Yasaka Rakza 7 soft.

Regarding rubbers - I can't really recommend ESN rubbers that much, because I am more into the tacky chinese rubbers. But judging from what I know, your choices look safe. At the same, there are knowledgeable people here, who can give more precise tips, perhaps. Cheers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Thanks latejThe sdcttblades site provides great info, thanks for that. I've read similar information from other articles and used that to pick those blades I've listed, so I believe there shouldn't be any horrible choice :D and as you said, I'll just pick one and try to adapt. Those custom blades looks great and while I would definatelly would like to support Vodak as a Czech blade, they are too expensive for my level.For rubbers which I forgot to mention I was thinking something like FH: Vega X/Pro/Asia BH: Vega Euro. BH seems like a safe choice but FH i still haven't decided, would like somthing tiny bit faster than Vega Euro. Other options I've found were Donic Barracuda, Andro Rasanter/Hexer, Yasaka Rakza 7 soft.
If you have or rely on a thin ball contact than stay away from at least Vega Asia. VA works, to a certain extent, quite well for a rubber which was not optimized for spin but lacks significant grip especially in higher humidity environments. Same for Rasanter according to some reviews. So I would either get the Vega Pro (higher throw than Vega Asia and better grip than VA) on FH or try a tacky Hurricane 8-80 37 which is as hard and fast as a VP.Just my experience with these rubbers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews

Wrong call, it costs more.

I'd suggest the Waldner Diablo Senso with glassfiber, won't be produced anymore but some shops in Europe still have some. OFF- 1300 Hz

Donic Waldner Senso V2 for the ALL/ALL+ game 1200 Hz
Donic Waldner Senso V1 a tad faster, ALL+/OFF- 1250 Hz or so

All those blades are cheaper than your 50€ mark/

It cost $54 on TT11

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I'm a big fan of Sweden Extra. Works great with vega euro and vega pro. Most of our students start off with Sweden Extra, although we're starting some off with Palio Energy series now, and I just got my hands on a Yinhe N11 and I'm thinking this might be a great blade to start with and I see it having a lot of potential for player growth.

Reactions: Equaaz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
If you have or rely on a thin ball contact than stay away from at least Vega Asia. VA works, to a certain extent, quite well for a rubber which was not optimized for spin but lacks significant grip especially in higher humidity environments. Same for Rasanter according to some reviews. So I would either get the Vega Pro (higher throw than Vega Asia and better grip than VA) on FH or try a tacky Hurricane 8-80 37 which is as hard and fast as a VP.Just my experience with these rubbers.

Thanks for the input, so I guess it will be Vega Pro on FH as a safest choice. I've found Vega Japan is also somewhat close to Pro, but Pro should be more beginner friendly. If I'd go the chinese rubber route I'd probably try something cheap like Frendship 729 rubber if I recall correctly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Welp. You might want to add Tibhar Curious to the list. As well TSP SWAT

Seems like Tibhar Curious is discontinued. I've heard good things about Swat but where i live it's more expensive and harder to find. Could you recommend some of the other 7-ply blades from my list?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Personally I didn't love the Tibhar samsonov blades, tried both. Other people do rate them, but don't seem to stay with them long, always moving on to carbon.

Perhaps Petr korbel is one to add to your list, on sale. And for sure a blade you could still play as your level rises.
https://www.teessport.com/blades-c5/butterfly-korbel-off-table-tennis-blade-p245

Seems like there is ongoing love & hate relationship with Tibhar blades :D Korbel also looks like a safe choice, thanks.