How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
LDM7 had his tourney today... didn't get winning results he wanted, but got a LOT of valuable data on why things are why and how to address them. All the little things are contributing to lost points, lost opportunities. He saw firsthand the difference between practice, easy matches, league matches, and tourney matches. Huge difference on how the pressure plays. When facing professionally trained juniors with solid ball striking fundamentals, they also place pressure on you to make your offence higher consistency and higher quality or get punished.

Overall a great experience that will lead to improvement. LDM7 is NOT one of the camp to be disheartened by lack of results, instead it motivates him to improve and overcome.

Reactions: IB66 and LDM7

After getting pounded by 8 ~ 12 yrs olds, LMD7 needed to rest his wary body, restore his pride & heal bruised ego

Set recommended drill(s) on bot to the likes of FH & BH 2-Spot, Falkenberg, elbow middle balls (footwork), 1 FH 1 BH, wide FH corkscrew, FH/BH loop vs backspin, close-to-net high balls ... focusing on footwork, balance & quality (spin, location, pace)

Looking forward to friday church session!

Reactions: IB66
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
LDM7 would fit in like a Glove in Uijeongbu Korea, day after tourney you go hot and heavy at it in the club coach ruthless.

There should be no broken pride, this was expected. LDM7 already went to several Bay Area camps with the same or similar players, he knew it was coming, but he had to see it and feel it close up in a real tourney. I had my California experience too when I moved here.

I am glad LDM7 got to see me destroy a crusher offensive player sitting courtside, or he might not have any faith in what I say about offensive table tennis or the ways of levels in tourneys. He also got to see me get destroyed by a much better player when I was tired and upright, I got what I deserved and am glad of the outcome.

LDM7 has a lot of developing fundamentals and seasoning ahead of him.. this is the positive thing about table tennis... especially starting where he ie... there is a TON of improvement to be had and more ahead... enough to literally last a lifetime. That attracts LDM7 to the sport for real.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Still pretty new to playing but I do beat myself up ( a little bit) if I lose points when I serve or just on an unforced shot.
I suppose it all comes together with more experience.

Reactions: LDM7 and Haraold
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

After getting pounded by 8 ~ 12 yrs olds, LMD7 needed to rest his wary body, restore his pride & heal bruised ego

Set recommended drill(s) on bot to the likes of FH & BH 2-Spot, Falkenberg, elbow middle balls (footwork), 1 FH 1 BH, wide FH corkscrew, FH/BH loop vs backspin, close-to-net high balls ... focusing on footwork, balance & quality (spin, location, pace)

Looking forward to friday church session!

Hi LDM7,

Welcome to the club!!! Getting pounded by young or old players is the way of things as you learn and improve, Keep your head up and get down to some nitty gritty training!!!! It takes time, some more time and add a measure of extra time for the training to show in match performance!!!

When and if you get the chance, play against as many different players as you can, differing play styles can need a different approach, maybe only a slight change in your tactics, sometimes a big difference. what you are really looking for is the experience that you can then draw on at a later date, when you meet a player with a certain style.

Tonight, I had my last session with my Physio, Acute inflammation of my right knee was the problem, it’s taken about 4 months to get back to almost normality, for the past couple of months I have ‘sort of played’ but tonight I was able to move without fear of doing some further aggravation to the knee, still nowhere near 100% confidence though!! The result was soooo frustrating!!! Loads of air shots, miss timed shots, forgetting to actually move!!! Then moving but in the wrong way, tightening up instead of staying loose when moving!! So much in the conscious and subconscious!!!

Reactions: LDM7
Still pretty new to playing but I do beat myself up ( a little bit) if I lose points when I serve or just on an unforced shot.
Good girl, actually most games are won or lost through unforced errors. If you can eliminate those it’s a huge step. But it’s not easy it’s more of a mental thing than physical.

Cheers
L-zr

heLLo IB,

Getting pounded by young or old players is the way of things as you learn and improve
=> it was a little embarrassing getting beat by an eight yr old boy that stands barely above the table
=> when asked, der said i performed at about what he expected, i think he just didn't want to crush me

Keep your head up and get down to some nitty gritty training!!!!
=> from the wknd tourney, i did come away with a list of things to train & improve on
=> i also learned the cork-screw from ball close to the net, wide FH, below table

It takes time, some more time and add a measure of extra time for the training to show in match performance!!!
=> true that mate, i am noticing shots i can execute during practice sometimes do not show up during matches
=> either i forget or ... idk, frustrating sometimes b/c i jst practiced it preparing for the tournament or round robbin

When and if you get the chance, play against as many different players as you can, differing play styles can need a different approach, maybe only a slight change in your tactics, sometimes a big difference. what you are really looking for is the experience that you can then draw on at a later date, when you meet a player with a certain style.
=> this is the 2nd best advise you've share with me
=> another suggestion i've received is to use friendly matches (local clubs or training sessions) to focus on one or two areas (shots) in hope of heated competition moments, foot-work & shots shows up more freely
=> sometimes i feel there's a disconnect between practice sessions & matches, they're compartmentalized

Tonight, I had my last session with my Physio, Acute inflammation of my right knee was the problem, it’s taken about 4 months to get back to almost normality, for the past couple of months I have ‘sort of played’ but tonight I was able to move without fear of doing some further aggravation to the knee, still nowhere near 100% confidence though!! The result was soooo frustrating!!! Loads of air shots, miss timed shots, forgetting to actually move!!! Then moving but in the wrong way, tightening up instead of staying loose when moving!! So much in the conscious and subconscious!!!
=> tks for sharing about your knee ailments, sry i was laughing at your frustration words
=> Godspeed to 100% recovery & soon!

Hi Debbie,

jst want to stop by and say TT can be frustrating, trust me ... i know (inviting you to read some of my posts)

HOWEVER ...

TT is good for our brain, excellent indoor exercise so weather is not an issue (i suppose one can play outdoors, why?!) and it can be fun, especially those once in awhile shot that we didn't think we can hit and won the point ...

and you know what's the best part of all?

AS YOU GET BETTER, YOU WILL HAVE EVEN MORE FUN!

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
heLLo IB,

Getting pounded by young or old players is the way of things as you learn and improve
=> it was a little embarrassing getting beat by an eight yr old boy that stands barely above the table
=> when asked, der said i performed at about what he expected, i think he just didn't want to crush me

Keep your head up and get down to some nitty gritty training!!!!
=> from the wknd tourney, i did come away with a list of things to train & improve on
=> i also learned the cork-screw from ball close to the net, wide FH, below table

It takes time, some more time and add a measure of extra time for the training to show in match performance!!!
=> true that mate, i am noticing shots i can execute during practice sometimes do not show up during matches
=> either i forget or ... idk, frustrating sometimes b/c i jst practiced it preparing for the tournament or round robbin

=> this is the 2nd best advise you've share with me
=> another suggestion i've received is to use friendly matches (local clubs or training sessions) to focus on one or two areas (shots) in hope of heated competition moments, foot-work & shots shows up more freely
=> sometimes i feel there's a disconnect between practice sessions & matches, they're compartmentalized

=> tks for sharing about your knee ailments, sry i was laughing at your frustration words
=> Godspeed to 100% recovery & soon!

Yeah it was comical !!!
Moving faster than expecting, further than expecting, resulting in an air shot with the ball flying past me somewhere between wrist and elbow!!! Usually an air shot is cos you can’t get there or pure mistiming!! (Mind you there was some of that as well!!!!)

Did manage to take a 2-1 win over a fella I haven’t beaten before, only played him 4 times, previous games were close, 9-11, 10-12 that sort of thing until yesterday it was 3 zip to him. I walked off table in these previous matches thinking that I should have won, but as is usually the case with me, too big too early. Less consistent than him and too passive when I could have been more aggressive.
last night I served well, forced some serve receive errors and put these away, instead of missing, this was the difference between winning or losing!!!

had a productive & fun time at the friday church session today

my FH 5th ball smash is coming around (ahead of BH)

i am executing key components purposely & gaining confidence, Der the cooler said i just need 5,000 more reps before this shot shows up in tournaments with any regularities

i am noticing grip firmness & a little snap of the wrist along with proper racket starting height all contribute to successful outcome

also learned using left hip (i am a rightie) to direct my BH ball path

on one occasion, i accidently pulled my left foot back and BH smashed the ball down the white line, i couldn't believe it. Definitely need to explore this more

QUESTION & CONCERNS:

how to 3rd ball open if backspin service return is deep right at my elbow?

continue to practice waiting for the ball to come into my BH strike-zone

need reps, lots more reps in BH looping backspin with quality i.e. spin, placement & speed

Ta' Ta'

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
LDM7 enjoyed today and I was only able to be around him maybe half the 4+ hrs we were playing. I sure DID toss some water on his parade of improvement. Doing better in this kind of session i snice, it does feel good and rightfully feel rewarding... but it takes more reps and more match failure to make those things into repeatable habits in matches. Still, you gotta look for measurable improvement in both objective things and subjective. LDM7 is tracking in the right direction and wants it.

On a totally different note, I rode the heavy ebike 30 miles to Church for TT. I had a tire puncture along the way, I was able to limp the sucker home to church with 20 PSI in the tire remaining, the built in slime sealant did its job a little... I filled it back up and tried to make it back starting at 11PM... I made it a few miles before I had to pump more air in tire... did that again a feew miles later... then it held up to the 15 mile point, then total KAPUT.

I ended up replacing the rear inner tube in a parking lot, glad I made it that far, woulda been tougher in the dark with a flashlight. New inner tube held up well, glad I carry in in hte bike cargo box and all the tools and supplies I would need for common misfortunes. Murphy"s Law seems to strike me, glad I was able to deal with it. Made it home sometime after 2 AM.

Der_Echte is now deep in recovery mode. ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
LDM7 had offered to ride me home and so did the Pastor (Roman), but I declined, stating I need to lose some belly.

My place is so out of the way I would have had to pay for 2-3 gallons of fuel and maybe double that in hazardous duty pay.

MAYBE when I wake up later today, my body will tell me I shoulda listened to offers of free rides home. MAYBE there will be less of me to ponder that this week.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi LDM7,

If opponents serve receive is at your elbow or middle, in order to open up , either BH or FH, you gotta MOVE, it’s sort of that simple!!

That tactic is a good un!! It makes you HAVE to make a quick decision!! DO I MOVE LEFT? to open up with FH, or RIGHT? to open up with BH !!

A tactic you can employ is to ‘RE SET YOUR MIDDLE’, more common for serve receive.
If opponent is serving long (or half long) into your elbow or middle, you can try and move a foot or so (300mm) to either the left or right, timing is crucial!! You need to re set just as they impact the ball, so they don’t have time to adjust their serve!!
If they serve as expected, you have already moved, the decision has already been made, and the serve is more likely to be in zone for either FH or BH open up, depending which way you have moved.

This can also be used for your 3rd ball, if opponent is returning to your elbow a lot, then wait until just before impact and move!! You gotta be quick though!! Be prepared for the unexpected return as well !!!!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
IB66, there was a very under-rated girl player whose serves were fast to my middle, I adjusted in a very similar manner to put the ball in my effective strike zone to attack or cut heavy...I turned around what looked to be a doom and gloom defeat into a win. I made my team mates very uneasy that day, but ultimately, showed them I could adjust and win. That inspires confidence.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
LDM7 had somewhat of an off day ball striking, but rich in data mining... saw ALL KINDS of ways to cope with things and saw trends... which is more valuable than feeling good about striking the ball well, because it leads to better awareness, later better performance, better level. Good news is so many things are low hanging fruit that will not take years to fix, but some habits need to get formed.

Had a LONG LOOOONNNGGGG chat over a hamburger (Whimpy says buy me a hamburger today gladly pay you Wednesday) (LDM bought the burger) about all manner of how to ID stuff and improve and how just talking about it to others helps yourself improve.

LDM7 had somewhat of an off day ball striking, but rich in data mining... saw ALL KINDS of ways to cope with things and saw trends... which is more valuable than feeling good about striking the ball well, because it leads to better awareness, later better performance, better level. Good news is so many things are low hanging fruit that will not take years to fix, but some habits need to get formed.

Had a LONG LOOOONNNGGGG chat over a hamburger (Whimpy says buy me a hamburger today gladly pay you Wednesday) (LDM bought the burger) about all manner of how to ID stuff and improve and how just talking about it to others helps yourself improve.

for some reason, i had difficulty focusing on tasks at hand, continuing progress made from friday night

i find off-the table discussions equally important as on-the-table drills i.e. reinforcing concepts, Q & A, paints a picture of my yellow-brick road, set proper expectations & therefore, staying motivated

Good feedback on playing against plyrs that are tables higher than me, similar level & below 💪