Anybody else find HK1997 Gold a lot softer than its advertised?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Ok, in that case maybe I really did just get a bad batch. I can push the sponge straight down to the wood, with only mild resistance.

• Haha
Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Nope can't push all the way to the wood... After a bit, I get some resistance ..

Look.. I'm not saying that this rubber is rock hard.. Even to me, it does not seem like 50° hard.. But, I would not peg it as soft/mushy either..

Well, of course there is "some" resistance. But if you push as hard as you can, can you push to the wood? With a hard sponge like Hurricane, even if you push as hard as you can, it simply will not compress beyond the half way mark.

If you push as hard as you can, can you push beyond the half way mark, near the wood.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
So, I just did the push-down test, with my HK1997, Omega VII, and AK-47 Red... and to me, the HK1997 seemed just a bit harder ..

Anyway, I don't think this is the correct way to go about it .. It should be done, before the rubber is glued to the blade, and we need to push down, directly upon the sponge, with the rubber facing down..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
The hardness is in regards to the sponge only, so if you want to tests thoroughly you should do it without top sheet….

Cheers
L-zr

Pressing down, directly on the sponge would give a fair indication of the hardness... What you're saying could be done, with the excess left-over, after cutting the sheet..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
ae%201659854146415%20jpg.jpeg

• Haha

Pressing down, directly on the sponge would give a fair indication of the hardness... What you're saying could be done, with the excess left-over, after cutting the sheet..

No the top sheet can make a lot of difference. Yes the leftover method will work.
But seriously you will need an instrument to do it properly. And also all the stated hardness is approximate, it can vary.

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Yep .. Pretty sure, I can't ..

On the other hand... I have strong fingers, and I'm pretty sure, if enough force, I can press most sponges down to the wood, irrespective of how hard they are

Do you have a hurricane lying around? Try pushing both hurricane and hk1997 with all your force.

I don't think hurricane can be compressed down to the wood. In my photo, the rubber below is hurricane 3 Nittaku. I can't compress it beyond half way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
It's not a soft rubber, it's in the same ballpark as fast arc g-1

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
I'm used to hard Chinese rubbers on FH.
And you still do not understand why you "feel" that other rubbers seem softer ? H3 for example is more in the ESN 60° zone, so anything in the 48-50 zone that is considered mid hard, 47 being mid and over 50 being hard, will seem WAY MORE softer than you're used too. It's a porous sponge, so of course it will be softer than a typical chinese hard rubber ! it is labeled hard for the euro market, but we all know that this equals to soft for the chinese one.

Bear in mind that this rubber has been intended to be a kind of hybrid, to avoid boostering. Like DHS did with the H8, then H8-80.

This is clearly not a bad batch, it's clearly YOU desperatly trying to find something wrong in a product because your mind is biased, long story short: you're not objective about that issue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

Come on... be serious a minute ! do you think you can have the exact same pressure with any of your fingers ? do you think it is the right way to measure a hardness ? I'm a musician, it's just not possible, we've got stronger fingers and weaker ones, the 4th one being considered the weaker in the musicians comunity. That claw position will always bring more pressure with the index finger.

That's why bass and double bass players mostly use their index and 3rd finger, because the claw is always stronger with those fingers and allows to play effortlessly.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
And you still do not understand why you "feel" that other rubbers seem softer ? H3 for example is more in the ESN 60° zone, so anything in the 48-50 zone that is considered mid hard, 47 being mid and over 50 being hard, will seem WAY MORE softer than you're used too. It's a porous sponge, so of course it will be softer than a typical chinese hard rubber ! it is labeled hard for the euro market, but we all know that this equals to soft for the chinese one.

Bear in mind that this rubber has been intended to be a kind of hybrid, to avoid boostering. Like DHS did with the H8, then H8-80.

This is clearly not a bad batch, it's clearly YOU desperatly trying to find something wrong in a product because your mind is biased, long story short: you're not objective about that issue.

I understand the esn scale, but that is not the issue. Evolution mxp is 47 on esn scale I believe. My hk1997 feels way softer than that.

I have another palio rubber hadou that is labeled 42-44 hardness. Even the hadou feels harder in game and also just by pushing than the hk1997.