Best footwear for a beginner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

Yes it is a wooden floor. A fellow student did say she had a spare pair of trainers in my size so would take them for me on the second week but she forgot them😐 and then when she remembered the third week they were the wrong size. We had to pay and commit the second week as the first week was a trial so never had much choice other then to play barefooted again although in hindsight if I had known she would forget them then I probably would not have went back. It is more sitting around in between games I don't like rather than playing barefoot.

That's bad luck about waiting a few weeks and then the trainers are a wrong size.
I thought playing barefoot would be worse opposed to sitting in between games waiting to play.??
Best to see what you like to wear before buying if you are continuing to play.

Reactions: Debbie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

Nike Lite 2 (https://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-lite-2-womens-hard-court-tennis-shoe-146174) could be what you're after. Very happy with my men's version (https://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-lite-2-mens-hard-court-tennis-shoe-145224/). They last forever (including the cushioning and soles), can be used for any indoor or outdoor sport (including running 6 miles every other day), and are perfectly fine to go out, not to mention being very good value.

Thanks for the link, they are pretty nice although not sure if they do them in black and white.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

That's bad luck about waiting a few weeks and then the trainers are a wrong size.
I thought playing barefoot would be worse opposed to sitting in between games waiting to play.??
Best to see what you like to wear before buying if you are continuing to play.

Hi,
Yes by the time I knew I needed new footwear I had already played around 3 weeks barefooted due to my own pair not having grip and the wrong size of other pair. I did dislike going barefoot to start with as had never done sport without footwear before but once you start playing nobody really notices and the grip on the floor is good.
Just not keen on being barefoot all evening as have to change upstairs and walk a bit to the sports hall and we all sit together in between games so feel a bit shy/awkward at times apart from when I play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
If you don't mind getting more or less used shoes you could also look on vinted.co.uk

This is what happens if someone uses indoor shoes for running outdoors... (Asics Gel Rocket 7)https://www.vinted.co.uk/women/shoe...ladies-pink-running-shoes-trainers-size-uk-65

These look quite decent (Asics Gel Rocket 8)https://www.vinted.co.uk/women/shoes/sports-shoes/indoors-training/1280528231-asics-gel-rocket and https://www.vinted.co.uk/men/shoes/sports-shoes/running/1926421792-asics-gel-rocket-8

Btw: There is of course a rule for wearing shoes "3.2.2.1 Playing clothing shall consist of a short-sleeved or sleeveless shirt and shorts or skirt or one-part sports outfits, socks and playing shoes; other garments, such as part or all of a tracksuit, shall not be worn during play except with the permission of the referee." https://documents.ittf.sport/sites/default/files/public/2022-02/ITTF_HB_2022_clean_v1_0.pdf
Usually no one cares about this rule but there might be some that do in official tournaments or league matches.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Has anyone faced with Hoka?

This is interesting. She asked for inexpensive, she asked for shoes for Table Tennis. Table Tennis shoes need lateral support. High profiled running shoes without any support would be terrible for table tennis. So.....you recommend a really expensive brand that makes RUNNING shoes with a very high profile and NO LATERAL SUPPORT.

It is good to see when people are paying attention. LOL

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022

This is interesting. She asked for inexpensive, she asked for shoes for Table Tennis. Table Tennis shoes need lateral support. High profiled running shoes without any support would be terrible for table tennis. So.....you recommend a really expensive brand that makes RUNNING shoes with a very high profile and NO LATERAL SUPPORT.

It is good to see when people are paying attention. LOL

You are not paying attention Carl.

He asked a question: "has anyone faced (I assume he meant played) with Hoka". He did not recommend Hoka.

To Patrick, no, don't use Hoka or any running shoe for table tennis or any court game with quick lateral movements. If you do, you will roll or sprain your ankle. Spend that hospital money on a pair of real table tennis shoes.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

You are not paying attention Carl.

He asked a question: "has anyone faced (I assume he meant played) with Hoka". He did not recommend Hoka.

To Patrick, no, don't use Hoka or any running shoe for table tennis or any court game with quick lateral movements. If you do, you will roll or sprain your ankle. Spend that hospital money on a pair of real table tennis shoes.

Actually, I am testing because I think that may be a bot or someone looking to spam the site. So, if it is a person, he might respond to a comment like that. If it is a bot, bots don't answer. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Yeah, after checking the profile it does seem suspicious.

I just don't like to remove until I see the spam. But.....it has the look of comments that were simply for the purpose to have enough posts to add live links.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
I strongly advice Nike Vapor V or VI. If you try out the Adidas Barricade new at the store, bare in mind that they need a considerable amount of time to loosen up and fit your foot. I find the Vapor a bit more maneuverable and friendly to my foot during long sessions.

Just looked them up and don't think many people would find them affordable, but thanks anyway.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Just looked them up and don't think many people would find them affordable, but thanks anyway.

I thought about commenting and asking why people keep recommending things that seem to be out of your price range. Why don't you list your price range, or if you have decided playing bare footed is fine for you.

Reactions: Debbie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
I thought about commenting and asking why people keep recommending things that seem to be out of your price range. Why don't you list your price range, or if you have decided playing bare footed is fine for you.

Thanks, I guess some people don't read the post properly. I did mention I would play barefooted till end of September then decide if I want to carry on after the course/ tuition is done.
Pretty much used to it now anyway and I do get good grip on the floor.

My price range probably would have been £10-£30 at most but not worth doing now.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Thanks, I guess some people don't read the post properly. I did mention I would play barefooted till end of September then decide if I want to carry on after the course/ tuition is done.
Pretty much used to it now anyway and I do get good grip on the floor.

My price range probably would have been £10-£30 at most but not worth doing now.

In other words, we can safely say, if anyone tries to recommend shoes to you in this thread from here on, they clearly are not paying attention or reading the thread. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

In other words, we can safely say, if anyone tries to recommend shoes to you in this thread from here on, they clearly are not paying attention or reading the thread. :)

What a meant was that some of the prices of footwear have been ridiculous and that's not what I asked, you even agreed with that. I did not want people having a debate if the shoes were right or wrong.
I got a good few ideas of what I might need if I improve and keep playing 🙂
Anyway no big deal as I enjoy playing for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Since you didn't give us your foot size, it's also difficult for us to give any advice, but as a volleyball and TT player, I can tell ya this Adidas Ligra works damn well and are cool looking for casual wear
https://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-ligra-womens-volleyball-shoes-146211#colcode=14621140

Now, that being said, I've got some unused pairs of Nike Hyperspeed Court that are ideal for TT cos' the Air Zoom unit is under the forefoot area.. They are just not comfy enough for me as I've got wide flat feet, they fit a bit snugged for me. Those are 24.5 cm, means UK 5, EU 38.5 or US women's 7.5 in the Nike women's chart. It's the red and white one, just used them a couple of times for TT and jump rope. Just pay for the shipping costs (i'm in France) and I'll give them to you for free (I have to make room in my tiny studio, I'm a calisthenics/crossfit/HIIT/jump rope addict with a lot of shoes already hahaha)
https://direct-volley.fr/chaussures-nike-hyperspeed-court-rouge-blanc

Last edited:

saving up for decent footwear

This is well put. Better save up for decent shoes and use for several years. No kidding, I ordered Mizuno Wave Drive from tabletennis11 and been using them for 2 years now. Playing A LOT of table tennis, in leagues, trainings 3-4 times a week, etc. There's almost nothing remaining of the insole, the rubberized part on the bottom where the big toe rests is also worn out, but not completely. Otherwise, it's an OUTSTANDING investment for the future use.

Also, they are very comfortable which is important.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Since you didn't give us your foot size, it's also difficult for us to give any advice, but as a volleyball and TT player, I can tell ya this Adidas Ligra works damn well and are cool looking for casual wear
https://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-ligra-womens-volleyball-shoes-146211#colcode=14621140

Now, that being said, I've got some unused pairs of Nike Hyperspeed Court that are ideal for TT cos' the Air Zoom unit is under the forefoot area.. They are just not comfy enough for me as I've got wide flat feet, they fit a bit snugged for me. Those are 24.5 cm, means UK 5, EU 38.5 or US women's 7.5 in the Nike women's chart. It's the red and white one, just used them a couple of times for TT and jump rope. Just pay for the shipping costs (i'm in France) and I'll give them to you for free (I have to make room in my tiny studio, I'm a calisthenics/crossfit/HIIT/jump rope addict with a lot of shoes already hahaha)
https://direct-volley.fr/chaussures-nike-hyperspeed-court-rouge-blanc

Hi, size 5

Reactions: OldUser

NDH

says Spin to win!

I'll be honest, this is a bit of an odd thread now, and I'm not really sure if you want advice/help or not?

It doesn't take a huge amount of "Googling" to find something that will fit the bill.

This took me all of 10 seconds to find a sub £30 pair of appropriate shoes in a UK5 - https://www.directbadminton.co.uk/adidas-ligra-7-junior-court-shoes-core-blackwhitecore-black-13836?ds1=&ds2=14450316171&ds3=130137966121&ds4=&ds5=c&ds6=&ds7=&ds8=&gclid=CjwKCAjw6fyXBhBgEiwAhhiZslSuMfHk8xbwy5RbxGj8UZv3ymqR2gpt6ZpRSstdJNQ_v4AwREsD7BoCBwgQAvD_BwE

As for the barefoot thing.... Would I do it? No. Have I seen others do it? No.

I don't think anyone would necessarily *say* anything if you played a UK League match, but it probably wouldn't be celebrated either.

Generally, players starting out don't tend to sweat too much - The movements/shots they know are less "explosive" and you aren't moving as much as someone who is experienced.

If you did sweat, you'd find that your feet would likely get slippy, but you'd also leave sweat marks on the floor - At that point, I'd expect someone to say something to you.

Ultimately, whilst Table Tennis can be an expensive sport at the higher end, you can get the whole kit for less than £100 (shoes, bat, clothes, balls).

That £100 would probably last you 2-3 years depending on how much you played.

My feeling is that if you want to take it semi seriously (as in, you enjoy it and want to enjoy it as much as you can), then the £100 would be the minimum expected outlay (you may even be able to do it for £70-80 depending on the bat, and what clothes you need to buy).