Ryu Seung Min VS Kim Taek Soo. Who will win???

Ryu Seung Min - well known for his quick footwork and explosive forehand. Nickname among Korean : Table Tennis Prince

Kim Taek Soo - legend among Korean table tennis players. Nickname among Korean : Asia's Tiger : Also has his own brand, KTS, Tcore, etc.

Both are using classic penholder. Who do you think will win if they compete?

There is a great sports variety show by Korean, named National Athlete is National Athlete (literally). 국대는국대다, where they put Korean sports legend vs current sports athlete. The latest episode, Episode 17 and 18, is the special episode, where they put these 2 legends to fight against each other.

KTS has retired 18 years ago, and RSM retired 8 years ago.

However, KTS was RSM's coach when he won gold medal against Wang Hao during Athens Olympic back in 2004.

I bet there aren't any videos of both of them play against each other on Youtube except the one made by fans (through editting). Can't wait to see the episode next week.

But, who do you think will win?
Give your comment and reason below.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
different era, different rules, different ball.
Its always difficult to compare as it is almost a different ball game all together.
Without KTS, you won't get the success of RSM
I would say if RSM was born earlier, in KTS day's, KTS will be the better player

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
They are both retired and with nothing more to proof. They had proven themselves already. They had their glory days and it is all behind them.

However, if you really want to see who is better, I suppose one way is to see their protege's performance. KTS has Jang Woojin as his understudy. I am not sure if RSM has an understudy or not.

P/s Just Googled Ryu Seung Min and he is not a coach. However he is more involved as a committee of many sporting bodies. I suppose you can say he moved into sports management rather as coach.

Hence this fantasy match btw RSM vs KTS will forever remain a fantasy. Best it is left this way.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
These made for TV TT shows are very thin on real true genuine TT action. Very much staged and heavily produced.

Having said that, just the fact that the general public will watch these shows and they keep coming shows a very positive trend in culture and support for TT than is not present in USA on any scale.

These made for TV TT shows are very thin on real true genuine TT action. Very much staged and heavily produced.

Having said that, just the fact that the general public will watch these shows and they keep coming shows a very positive trend in culture and support for TT than is not present in USA on any scale.
True. It's not only in US, in other country too, i haven't heard about TT being popularized into a tv show except in Korea.

Previous korean tv show that I watched, was about RSM being a coach and did audition to find good TT players among celebrities. He trained and prepared them for a tournament among other good amateur club in Korea.

Que[emoji41]

They are both retired and with nothing more to proof. They had proven themselves already. They had their glory days and it is all behind them.

However, if you really want to see who is better, I suppose one way is to see their protege's performance. KTS has Jang Woojin as his understudy. I am not sure if RSM has an understudy or not.

P/s Just Googled Ryu Seung Min and he is not a coach. However he is more involved as a committee of many sporting bodies. I suppose you can say he moved into sports management rather as coach.

Hence this fantasy match btw RSM vs KTS will forever remain a fantasy. Best it is left this way.
I bet korean fans want the real life action between both of them, hence the reason they made the show about 2 legends competing.

RSM now holding a position in IOC and is a President for Korean Table Tennis Association (KTTA). And that makes him higher rank than KTS[emoji23]. In the show both KTS amd RSM always said that they quite awkward in how to call each other, because they used to be sifu and student, now one is the boss and another is the employee.

Que[emoji41]

different era, different rules, different ball.
Its always difficult to compare as it is almost a different ball game all together.
Without KTS, you won't get the success of RSM
I would say if RSM was born earlier, in KTS day's, KTS will be the better player
Correct. I always thought that in terms of footwork, if they play as their best forms during their glory days, the older generation have bigger advantage.
Mostly because of they are used to faster ball (it was less than 40mm in old days), hence their footwork must be super.

Que[emoji41]

Correct. I always thought that in terms of footwork, if they play as their best forms during their glory days, the older generation have bigger advantage.
Mostly because of they are used to faster ball (it was less than 40mm in old days), hence their footwork must be super.

Que[emoji41]
If you mean that the gas was faster before, no this is wrong. The game is faster today. In the old days more attention was put on spin, but both speed and spin was taken away with new larger ball. Then players started to concentrate on speed so the game became faster and faster. The relative absence of spin virtually killed the defensive playing style. I still have leftover old balls and I think it’s more to play with those but I don’t play with them often because it takes some effort to adjust every time I shift…

Cheers
L-zr

says Aging is a killer
If you mean that the gas was faster before, no this is wrong. The game is faster today. In the old days more attention was put on spin, but both speed and spin was taken away with new larger ball. Then players started to concentrate on speed so the game became faster and faster. The relative absence of spin virtually killed the defensive playing style. I still have leftover old balls and I think it’s more to play with those but I don’t play with them often because it takes some effort to adjust every time I shift…

Cheers
L-zr

I really dont understand your reasoning here. From the very first tournament that the 40mm ball was introduced, players reported that the individual rallies were longer as the balls were travelling slower.
For me personally, I felt like a much better player as I began returning hits that were not possible in the 38mm era.
Basic Characteristics of 40mm+ plastic compared to 38mm:
1 Ball travels slower - easier to block leading to more close to table play
2 Spin is noticeably less - easier to attack backspin thus defence players are less effective + serves are far less troublesome
3 Spin on looped ball does not last, thus ball drops off faster/shorter distance - ball trajectory more difficult to predict if away from the table
I think that you are mixing up the fact that aggressive shot execution is much easier with the 40mm+ ball which leads to the impression that the game is faster.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis

bek

This user has no status.

bek

This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Joo SaeHyuk is the REAL GOAT of all of table tennis

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2021
Although KTS third ball attack was pretty good,RSM had much better serves.KTS was more stable in rallies whereas RSM was more explosive.In terms of beating top players in major competitions I think KTS was better although he didn't have the titles of Ryu.For example at the1992 Olympics he beat Wang Tao,Lu Lin and Primorac and still got only a bronze medal.
I think RSM would have been better in the 38mm era because his short game was better.Both of them had big problems against lefties for obvious reasons but I think KTS beating Wang Tao in 1992 was a bigger achievement that RSM beating Boll in 2007 WTTC.
RSM and KTS played twice in the 2001/2002 Pro Tour season with KTS winning both matches.I don't have any idea about their internal tournament results.

Last edited:
Mar 2021
Speculate no further. Here is the irrefutable truth...

My commentary:

1. RSM is slower and has lost some of his trademark footwork, age? lack of competitive play? increase in weight? All the above. I suppose being in management rather as an active athlete do dampen your skill.
2. KTS is still an active coach and plays regularly in amateur matches.
3. KTS may not have the explosiveness of RSM but I feel that he is more consistent.
4. In the end, the old sly fox out-play the younger more powerful adversary.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Speculate no further. Here is the irrefutable truth...

My commentary:

1. RSM is slower and has lost some of his trademark footwork, age? lack of competitive play? increase in weight? All the above. I suppose being in management rather as an active athlete do dampen your skill.
2. KTS is still an active coach and plays regularly in amateur matches.
3. KTS may not have the explosiveness of RSM but I feel that he is more consistent.
4. In the end, the old sly fox out-play the younger more powerful adversary.

Conclusion:
TV show

• Haha
Reactions: Gozo Aruna
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Some days one, some days the other, probably. My opinion for what it's worth.