Help me choose a robot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Thank you very much for this video. I watched it several times. It, as we say, “dots all the i”. My analysis: standing on the side of the table, you turn on the robot. You can hear the motors running. You get up in the playing area, during this time the motors picked up speed. The first topspin has a strong rotation and, bouncing off the racket, flies out of the frame. All subsequent topspins have a weaker rotation and fall into the robot's grid (the motors do not have time to pick up speed). If you reduce the speed of the balls, for example to 30 balls per minute, then all the topspins will be more like the first topspin (the motors may have time to pick up speed, but this needs to be checked). It turns out that the force of rotation depends on the frequency of ball departures, balls that differ greatly in rotation cannot be combined into a series. For example, 1 ball is a short serve with strong bottom spin (top motors spin backwards, bottom motors spin forward). We set up the robot for this feed, everything is fine. Set up 2 ball (separate from 1). 2 ball is a slow topspin, but with strong spin. This is a typical game situation, I accept the cutoff serve, it flies a little over the edge of the table, the partner makes a topspin. For 2 balls, the top motors rotate forward, the bottom motor rotates backwards. Set up 2 ball, everything is fine. Then we combine these balls into a series, and everything is bad here. 2 the ball will be completely different, and not the one that was set up (the motors need to have time to change the rotation to the opposite). With a change in the speed of the balls from 30 to 120 per minute, there will be a different force of rotation and the speed of the ball.

It's always good to have a little bit of theory, but I assure you, as you get to practise with your new Amicus Prime, all that will be forgotten and you'll have enough fun...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
I am the founder of PongFox table tennis robot . Our robot has three wheels and for topspin loop the motor 2 (at the bottom) actually goes backwards. The wheels are programmable so you can play around with the settings and we have a random option which lets you choose multiple strokes .

Take a look and connect with me if you have more questions

Interesting robot, At $500, worth a comparison to the others.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
It's always good to have a little bit of theory, but I assure you, as you get to practise with your new Amicus Prime, all that will be forgotten and you'll have enough fun...

Exactly. In the 3 years I've had Amicus Prime, it hasn't happened that I wanted to simulate something from a match without being able to do it with this robot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
I decided not to buy Amicus Prime, thanks to 7sagittarius7 for the video. I will assemble a robot like RDV. I downloaded a program, an electrical circuit and 3D models for printing on his channel. Its functionality is higher, and the cost is about $100. The robot can create very strong rotations of the ball, and change them at a high pace. For each ball, you can set the speed, rotation, pause before departure, the amount of random addition to the departure angle. You can save balls to non-volatile memory, make a series of them, save a series of balls to memory. There is an indication of the speed of rotation of the motors by a line of addressable LEDs. Motor rotation forward - green, reverse - red. The indication can be useful for random mode, it is not easy to determine the rotation from the ball's flight path. Here is the video of the latest version:
https://youtu.be/wAIXGwB_oUY
I hope everything works out for me. I have little experience with Arduino. I made a backlight for a New Year's costume on esp8266 and addressable LEDs with Wi-Fi control (repeated someone else's project).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
I decided not to buy Amicus Prime, thanks to 7sagittarius7 for the video. I will assemble a robot like RDV. I downloaded a program, an electrical circuit and 3D models for printing on his channel. Its functionality is higher, and the cost is about $100. The robot can create very strong rotations of the ball, and change them at a high pace. For each ball, you can set the speed, rotation, pause before departure, the amount of random addition to the departure angle. You can save balls to non-volatile memory, make a series of them, save a series of balls to memory. There is an indication of the speed of rotation of the motors by a line of addressable LEDs. Motor rotation forward - green, reverse - red. The indication can be useful for random mode, it is not easy to determine the rotation from the ball's flight path. Here is the video of the latest version:
https://youtu.be/wAIXGwB_oUY
I hope everything works out for me. I have little experience with Arduino. I made a backlight for a New Year's costume on esp8266 and addressable LEDs with Wi-Fi control (repeated someone else's project).

Good luck! When you finish, please share your results with us 😀.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
I started making a robot according to the RDV scheme. I bought all the electronics in my city, spent about $ 90. On Aliexpress, everything is the same about $ 60, but delivery is 30 days. Now the budget is about $130. Checked everything. The program works, all components work, when the IR sensor of the ball span is triggered, the motors change speed, the servos turn, the indicator lights up. Here is a video of the test:
https://youtu.be/19NFw3LgMbs
It was quite simple, all the complexities are ahead. Still need to print 3D models, body. I haven’t decided yet which motor mount design to choose, there are so many 3D models of robots on the net.

Reactions: tabletennisdaily1
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I started making a robot according to the RDV scheme. I bought all the electronics in my city, spent about $ 90. On Aliexpress, everything is the same about $ 60, but delivery is 30 days. Now the budget is about $130. Checked everything. The program works, all components work, when the IR sensor of the ball span is triggered, the motors change speed, the servos turn, the indicator lights up. Here is a video of the test:
https://youtu.be/19NFw3LgMbs
It was quite simple, all the complexities are ahead. Still need to print 3D models, body. I haven’t decided yet which motor mount design to choose, there are so many 3D models of robots on the net.

good effort, i applaud your enthusiasm.
Side note: the servo sounds horrible and is too slow