Drills: Half long serve return and Forehand atack

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
Drills: Half long serve return

Hello everyone,
This week we've been training different drills and one of them I really like it.
"Half long serve return" and of course trying different variants "flavors".
Fun fact: The 1st time trying to return half long serve, I was afraid of hitting the table with my paddle XD

Do you try half long drills during your training session?

Last edited:
Reactions: iammaru
says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Hello everyone,
This week we've been training different drills and one of them I really like it.
"Half long serve return" and of course trying different variants "flavors".
Fun fact: The 1st time trying to return half long serve, I was afraid of hitting the table with my paddle XD

Do you try half long drills during your training session?

Liar liar pants on fire.

There is no way this is your first time. Too flawless to be a first timer.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I work with a Pastor at the Russian Church in Sacramento trying to get him to break his decades long habit of only solid striking to get him to loop slower/heavier when he wants. He grew up a slapper in TT as only slapping equipment was available to him.

I have a slow time getting him to more often feel what it is to be relaxed and explode loose to get thinner contact and more spin.

Ironically, halflong serves, if he receives then with less than half power, are showing promise that he can more consistently feel how to stay loose. I try to serve within a few cm of endline and have him impact ball 10-15 behind table, which is often 8-10 cm below table top... just right for a slower heavier loop.

On another note, if you are in San Diego, and can be lucky enough to make the right arrangements, you might get a session with Stellan too. Bring your ears if you can manage to get Stellan to give you a session.

Reactions: VictorMoraga
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
I work with a Pastor at the Russian Church in Sacramento trying to get him to break his decades long habit of only solid striking to get him to loop slower/heavier when he wants. He grew up a slapper in TT as only slapping equipment was available to him.

I have a slow time getting him to more often feel what it is to be relaxed and explode loose to get thinner contact and more spin.

Ironically, halflong serves, if he receives then with less than half power, are showing promise that he can more consistently feel how to stay loose. I try to serve within a few cm of endline and have him impact ball 10-15 behind table, which is often 8-10 cm below table top... just right for a slower heavier loop.

On another note, if you are in San Diego, and can be lucky enough to make the right arrangements, you might get a session with Stellan too. Bring your ears if you can manage to get Stellan to give you a session.

Fortunately, the Coach feeding me in the video is Stellan.
Every training session getting great advices 🙌

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think returning half long serves is really an advantage of penhold because as your hand is above the handle you have more space over the table and you can play a loop where shake hand players have to push or flick.

Reactions: VictorMoraga
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014

What does that mean? Kinda like brush a lot?

I understood the same "brushing a lot".
By the way, nowadays I see many players focused in the fastest shots and putting the "spin" in 2nd priority.
I'm guilty on that too. I tried to kill way too much, but now my focus is on spin 🏓

Reactions: Tinykin
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
I think returning half long serves is really an advantage of penhold because as your hand is above the handle you have more space over the table and you can play a loop where shake hand players have to push or flick.

I agree👍
And I like the way to improve tracking the ball, because sometimes the serve is shorter sometimes close to the edge, and sometimes a bit longer.
Note: Don't break your fingers or Paddle 🤣