H3 not work with some blades?

This user has no status.
Official answer from Butterfly: zero difference. Viscaria, Zhang Jike ALC, Lin Gaoyuan ALC, Matsudaira Kenta ALC, Timo Boll ALC and Timo Boll Spirit all have the same reaction and vibration property. They all have the same head size (157 mm x 150 mm) and the same thickness (5.8 mm) except Lin Gaoyuan ALC (5.7 mm).
https://butterflyonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/BladeSpecifications.pdf
or
https://butterflyonline.com/Templates/BladeSpecifications.pdf

Technically the TBS is a little different.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
TBS can play so many rubbers well it is silly.

High level Chinese coaches swear up and down that H3 on a Viscaria is the golden Holy Grail of offensive TT capability. If you really like H3, and are not gunna become an elite player, you could enjoy ur H3 on a TBS or ALC zero problems, they all can play a lot of rubbers well.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
It’s amazing H3 gets this much leeway, with the first blame on the blade and not technique while more suitable grippy rubbers quickly become afterthoughts without the necessary playing in time.

I personally found that I can loop kill the ball easier with more flexy blades like Long 5, Nittaku Acoustic, PG-7, Yinhe PD-437, etc.
With Fang Bo 2 (rather stiff inner carbon blade), Timo Boll Spirit, ZJK ALC I am lacking confidence, since no flex on powerful strokes. May be with more softened (==boosted) Hurricanes these blades will work better.

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
It’s amazing H3 gets this much leeway, with the first blame on the blade and not technique while more suitable grippy rubbers quickly become afterthoughts without the necessary playing in time.
You don’t read.
The Chinese forum members are the ones criticizing the blade. I’ve played with H3 on FH all my TT life, and never liked another rubber. I arose this question because many are saying Viscaria is good with H3 while TB is bad, when they’re essentially the same blade.

This user has no status.
I personally found that I can loop kill the ball easier with more flexy blades like Long 5, Nittaku Acoustic, PG-7, Yinhe PD-437, etc.
With Fang Bo 2 (rather stiff inner carbon blade), Timo Boll Spirit, ZJK ALC I am lacking confidence, since no flex on powerful strokes. May be with more softened (==boosted) Hurricanes these blades will work better.
I do feel the same. My friend’s Long 5 is awesomely comfortable to play with, but the same rubber on my Boll feels a little crisp and hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
the difference between Vis and TMB is the stiffness of the handle or the way wood layers are being installed. Old version Vis have horizontal wood layers while TMB have vertical ones. The newer Vis versions no longer have those - thats why they have stiffer feeling which some people dislike.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Technically the TBS is a little different.

Yes, but all this talk about different blades being different in a significant way is BS.
The question I ask is, "what can this paddle or rubber to that another paddle or rubber can't". The answer is NOTHING unless you comparing significantly different items like SP to LP to inverted or paddles that are in different speed classes.

There is no impulse that a TBS, TB ALC or Viscaria and generate that the others cannot. They can all do the same thing.

PingBirdPong, TT players are long on opinions and short on facts.

I said before, I have a TBS and a TB ALC. Is there a difference? I am sure there is a small one but I am not a calibrated machine that can measure that accurately. Also, people are very adaptable and can adjust to differences in the equipment. I consider the blades to be interchangeable.

This user has no status.
Yes, but all this talk about different blades being different in a significant way is BS.
The question I ask is, "what can this paddle or rubber to that another paddle or rubber can't". The answer is NOTHING unless you comparing significantly different items like SP to LP to inverted or paddles that are in different speed classes.

There is no impulse that a TBS, TB ALC or Viscaria and generate that the others cannot. They can all do the same thing.

I said before, I have a TBS and a TB ALC. Is there a difference? I am sure there is a small one but I am not a calibrated machine that can measure that accurately. Also, people are very adaptable and can adjust to differences in the equipment. I consider the blades to be interchangeable.
Yeah, it’s best I adjust my technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
When in doubt, test it out! Get several Viscaria and TB with same rubbers, replace the handles so they look the same, do a blind test between them, see if people can accurately feel the difference (test beginners and advanced players alike). Write a research paper and publish it. Kill two birds with one stone: first, you can have scientific (statistical) evidence if people can really tell the difference between the two, and second, the paper will be great boost for your resume when applying to med school 😁.

Last edited:
  • Haha
This user has no status.
When in doubt, test it out! Get several Viscaria and TB with same rubbers, replace the handles so they look the same, do a blind test between them, see if people can accurately feel the difference (test beginners and advanced players alike). Write a research paper and publish it. Kill two birds with one stone: first, you can have scientific (statistical) evidence if people can really tell the difference between the two, and second, the paper will be great boost for your resume when applying to med school 😁.
After doing this test, I won’t have money to go to mes school😂

• Haha
Reactions: tabletennisdaily1
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

Hence the conclusion is, buying a Mizutani or ZJK is plainly for exhibiting your fan-boyism which is nothing wrong by nature. It is to show your appreciation to your preferred player.

I wonder when will Butterfly make a Gozo Super ZLC? I really like that player...

Oh wait... I am already using a custom blade, so all is well. All is well.

Reactions: tabletennisdaily1
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
I was trying to be funny 😁

Cheers
L-zr
Ironically your post I fully agree with.

I think that it’s not so much that if the rubber works with the blade. But more so if you can work with the given pairing. I saw a guy using HAL with bty aibiss I personally disliked it- but it worked fine for him and he seemed to like it.

Reactions: deanrazorbak