Is there a way to fix a rubber's arc and lift?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Discussed a little on another thread, but I'm still struggling with my current rubber, the Loki GTX on forehand. The problem is when looping, the rubber doesn't seem to grip the ball enough and doesn't get enough upward lift.

I find that I really have to hit a very full stroke, or hit with a more upward motion to clear to net. The unnatural stroke is disrupting my game.

Furthermore, the ball doesn't seem to spin as much as a normal rubber. The window of a successful loop is a little smaller than other rubbers, so when I try to lift the ball upwards more, the ball may go over the table. The rubber doesn't bend down into the table as much as other rubbers.

Is there a way to try to fix the rubber to get more lift and bite on the ball? I put some booster on it already, which made it a faster and bouncier, but the lift is still a problem. I was thinking maybe I should put some baby oil on it, which might make the rubber a little softer and help grip the ball better? Is this a bad idea?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Yeah of course I can discard it, but it was $24 and if I can save it, I'd like to try to save it. If all else fails, maybe I will end up discarding it.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Yeah of course I can discard it, but it was $24 and if I can save it, I'd like to try to save it. If all else fails, maybe I will end up discarding it.

Quite a while ago, on this forum, one of our learned friends did a very good write up about the Loki rubbers. The essence, if i remember correctly, was that he liked Rxton 5 the best and considered the GTX a disappointment. I acted accordingly , """"" bought a set Rxton5 and liked them so much I bought the company """"" 😁😁😁 Sometimes there is simply certain things a certain rubber can NOT do. I should know, I got a whole stash of near new rubbers that I will never use again. Ever so often, when I am sure nobody is watching, I riffle through the pile and have a little cry.............🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JBH7
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Yes, I also have Rxton 5 and think its a good rubber. Actually a really good rubber, usable unboosted, but seems ever better boosted.

I'm also very curious how Loki N80 is. I have a feeling it is very similar to Rxton 5, but I don't want to spend the money and be disappointed again.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
[h1]"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,One for the Dark Lord on his dark throneIn the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.”[/h1]So many rubbers to choose from, but there is only one rubber to rule them all and to make waste all your woes. One and only one true rubber. The Ultimate, the be all and end all... The one and only:
Tenergy%2005%20img%20jpg.jpeg

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Don’t worry it happens. Countless amateurs are disappointed when they buy a H3+Dignics combo and wonder why they can’t play more like their idol, but instead their FH has slowed down and backhand became like a NASA launch station.

These are the converted D05 forehand, H3 backhand brigade =)

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
[h1]"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,One for the Dark Lord on his dark throneIn the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.”[/h1]So many rubbers to choose from, but there is only one rubber to rule them all and to make waste all your woes. One and only one true rubber. The Ultimate, the be all and end all... The one and only:

Neee, not for me . I tried it and it was too "vague"

This user has no status.
Kidneysellergy 05?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Videos please.
For all we know, it might be technique related and not the rubber.
If your technique is perfect, then we can look at what other oils from your house you can use.

I'd recall forum members here did ask Michael for a video of his play a few times. What say you Michael? Don't be camera shy...

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Well I decided to give the GTX rubber just a tiny bit of baby oil to see if it improves. The rubber curved just very little, maybe at a 10 degree angle from completely horizontal. I wanted to be conservative because I didn't know what would happen.

To my surprise, it seemed to really improve the spin and bite of the rubber by quite a lot. There seems to be more dwell time and kick to the ball. I really hope I'm not just imagining things, but it seriously seemed to transform by quite a lot. I don't think I'm imaging things though, because on the same day I boosted another rubber with real booster and thought there wasn't as big of a increase that I thought there would be.

There seems to really be something special about this baby oil + booster combo. It seems to work better than booster alone. On the occasions that I've used this double combo, the results have been good. On the occasions that I used only booster, I have at times been disappointed.

Can somebody try this on their own rubber and see if I'm not just imagining things?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Would you youngin's just stop blaming the equipment? You talk as if you are trying to loop with anti rubber.
Rub a TT ball on the rubber very gently as first. Increase the force on the rubber until the ball doesn't slide. If the ball doesn't slide with just a little force then you have a rubber that grips. This is a crude way of measuring the coefficient of friction. Try this with different rubbers and see if there is a difference.
It would be better to use more scientific way of measuring the coefficient of friction.

I would blame poor technique.
I agree with Tony. Lets see a video that shows your FH swing from the side. This is what I had to do to find the flaw in my FH strokes.
I do have the ball slide off my paddle sometimes when I brush the ball too thinly.

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Actually there is video of my FH swing in another thread that I started. My FH swing is not like Ma Long, but with the same FH swing, I can lift and bite the ball a lot more with other popular rubbers such as Big Dipper, boosted H3, etc.

I'm not saying my technique is perfect, I'm just saying that all else equal, one rubber provides less lift than other rubbers (another member said the same thing in another thread). Is there a way to try to correct this rubber?

I don't know why in the world that would be offensive to you.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I'd recall forum members here did ask Michael for a video of his play a few times. What say you Michael? Don't be camera shy...

Michael has posted some footage. More than once. It is not his fault if you have not seen it. :)

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Actually there is video of my FH swing in another thread that I started. My FH swing is not like Ma Long, but with the same FH swing, I can lift and bite the ball a lot more with other popular rubbers such as Big Dipper, boosted H3, etc.

I'm not saying my technique is perfect, I'm just saying that all else equal, one rubber provides less lift than other rubbers (another member said the same thing in another thread). Is there a way to try to correct this rubber?

I don't know why in the world that would be offensive to you.

it was suggested before to increase the grip apply the baby oil onto the front of the rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
There is a quote in the military circle: Amateurs talk tactics, the pros discuss logistics.

In the same vein, I paraphrase, " Amateurs talk equipment, the serious players discuss techniques "

Hey, I'm amateur of the amateurs. I don't mind talking equipment with people who enjoy the discussion. And I also certainly want to discuss how to improve my technique. I don't believe it needs to be binary.

On this specific occasion, I'm asking if people have any ideas for how to increase the bite and lift of a rubber.