Upgrade from Yasaka Sweden Extra to more powerful blade

Hey guys, I was playing with Stiga Clipper wood for all of my life, but since a big pause I decided to try a slower blade to recover my skills. YSE did the job.
Now I have a feeling that I want something like that, but with a little bit more confident feeling when do hard flat finish strokes.
Another con for me is a smaller FL handle YSE has. On my Clipper I had a Legend (big FL) handle. It is a little bit too much, so looking for something in between :)

I tried to order Yasaka Goiabao 5 with AN handle. Handle is so so, overall I can get used to it. My thought was that it is still a 5-ply blade, so should be quite flexible for topspins, but obviously stiffer for flat shots. I feel like it is too much, even in comparison with Stiga Clipper Wood.

You may ask why don't I continue to use Clipper. I have a feeling that it might be something better fitting for me, with a smaller handle and head size, and maybe better feeling.

So I'll be glad to some other suggestions on what to try.

Yasaka Ma Lin carbon
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive

maybe?

But again I'm worried about handle sizes. I don't want the same small FL as for YSE and I don't want to use any grip tapes :)

I would say my budget is < $100. Preferably $50 of course.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
If you want an upgrade to the YSE you might want to try the Nittaku Violin or even Violin inner carbon. Allegedly it feels similar to the YSE just faster and even better control. They are available with larger handles as well.

Edit:
Sry, i totally disregarded your budget.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G998B mit Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: kolyasya
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Does sweden extra and extra the same blade? I have extra and feel fairly soft. If you want something faster and stiffer with soft on touch shot. I can think of hinoki carbon like primorac carbon, schalager, sardius. there are many alternative out there. You can check review if this suit what you need.

for me yasaka extra is soft ,medium flex and not fast( it's not slow just no extra kick)

Clipper from what I remember it's soft, fairly stiff, and medium fast(it's fast but by today standard it's above off- but around low off)

Popular all wood composition like petr korbel, p500 is also good step up

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
you can try yasaka extra 7 or donic persson powerplay. both are 7 ply with limba outer ply so they should feel similar in the short game in comparison to your current YSE. since they are 7 ply, they should provide sufficient power for your attacking strokes.
Since you complained about goiabao 5, you should avoid hard outer ply blades as a whole and stick to soft outer ply blades like limba

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
you can try yasaka extra 7 or donic persson powerplay. both are 7 ply with limba outer ply so they should feel similar in the short game in comparison to your current YSE. since they are 7 ply, they should provide sufficient power for your attacking strokes.
Since you complained about goiabao 5, you should avoid hard outer ply blades as a whole and stick to soft outer ply blades like limba

The Donic Persson Powerplay is a 5+2 blade which always had a koto outer ply (koto, paper foil, 3x ayous, paper foil, koto). Donic calls the paper foil "anti-vibration film" https://www.donic.com/donic/en/blades/2831/donic-persson-powerplay
Could still be an option because it is a bit softer than the YEO (walnut outer ply) or presumably the Goiabao (rosewood). Slower than Clipper, YEO or Goiabao, smaller handle than Stiga Legend, smaller head. Senso variants can get quite head heavy with modern rubbers because of the hollow handle (easy to fill so ;)). Non-Senso version can be quite heavy (>95g) but has a solid handle. Because of its 3x ayous core structure and its thinness (<6 mm) plays somewhat like a mixture of classical 5-ply and 7-ply blades.
TSP/Victas Swat might also be an option: Thinner, 6 mm, Clipper structure. Would opt for a heavier one (at least >= 87g) which feels better/more solid.
Handle size: My YSE and YEO both have the same circumference when measuring at the narrowest part of the handle but for some reason the YEO handle feels bigger...

FiveBlades%20jpg.jpeg

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Hey guys, I was playing with Stiga Clipper wood for all of my life, but since a big pause I decided to try a slower blade to recover my skills. YSE did the job.
Now I have a feeling that I want something like that, but with a little bit more confident feeling when do hard flat finish strokes.
Another con for me is a smaller FL handle YSE has. On my Clipper I had a Legend (big FL) handle. It is a little bit too much, so looking for something in between :)

I tried to order Yasaka Goiabao 5 with AN handle. Handle is so so, overall I can get used to it. My thought was that it is still a 5-ply blade, so should be quite flexible for topspins, but obviously stiffer for flat shots. I feel like it is too much, even in comparison with Stiga Clipper Wood.

You may ask why don't I continue to use Clipper. I have a feeling that it might be something better fitting for me, with a smaller handle and head size, and maybe better feeling.

So I'll be glad to some other suggestions on what to try.

Yasaka Ma Lin carbon
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive

maybe?

But again I'm worried about handle sizes. I don't want the same small FL as for YSE and I don't want to use any grip tapes :)

I would say my budget is < $100. Preferably $50 of course.
Super duper two thumbs up for Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive ( choose the 7 ply ) for that extra vrooom power. However, it may not fit your need as YMLEO has a large head ( = bigger sweet spot ) and a large handle for that full confidence hold. I used to own one but sold it to another player who is now a happy user.

But you wanted small handle and small head, then go for Clipper. Stiga, I know has smaller head size.

Does sweden extra and extra the same blade? I have extra and feel fairly soft. If you want something faster and stiffer with soft on touch shot. I can think of hinoki carbon like primorac carbon, schalager, sardius. there are many alternative out there. You can check review if this suit what you need.

for me yasaka extra is soft ,medium flex and not fast( it's not slow just no extra kick)

Clipper from what I remember it's soft, fairly stiff, and medium fast(it's fast but by today standard it's above off- but around low off)

Popular all wood composition like petr korbel, p500 is also good step up
Bad advice, those blades are as fast as they come ( almost ). Do NOT consider Primo Carbon or Sardius. ( ( (Schlager I don’t know about)

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Nittaku Violin L-handle. If you dont have money for that then Ma Long SC is great choise for a blade with alot of control and feel. In future when you take it to the next level you can get Nittaku Ludeack, Stiga Clipper, Avalox P700...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Bad advice, those blades are as fast as they come ( almost ). Do NOT consider Primo Carbon or Sardius. ( ( (Schlager I don’t know about)

Cheers
L-zr

Well, hinoki carbon series are fast but doesn't mean it can't be loop with. These carbon blades are popular more than a decade for a reason

Reactions: Kenta Cipriano

Well, hinoki carbon series are fast but doesn't mean it can't be loop with. These carbon blades are popular more than a decade for a reason

Yes they have…
But not for developing players or players working on their techniques…

Last edited: