Reverse Penhold Backhand - RPB " Training In Progress"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
with the waist one, every now and then, try getting your left feet a little bit forward, this will allow you more room for your waist, so there will be more power.
you would also be stepping a little bit into the incoming ball, so if it was an opponent blocking, that tempo will also shift.

• Love
Reactions: VictorMoraga
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
with the waist one, every now and then, try getting your left feet a little bit forward, this will allow you more room for your waist, so there will be more power.
you would also be stepping a little bit into the incoming ball, so if it was an opponent blocking, that tempo will also shift.

Thank you for the advice. I will incorporate the lefty foot a little bit 🙌 🏓.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Very good advice. For me learning RBP was actually quite easy as I came from shakehand, imo RPB is totally the same as shakehand backhand.

I even read somewhere chinese teach young high level penhold players a shakehand backhand so they can learn RPB quick from there but not sure if that is true.

I had much more trouble learning TPB and backhand push (just had a DM conversation with Victor couple days ago about that:))

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Hello everyone, doing more progress on my "RPB" this week.
Doing big improvements to my backhand with Coach Stellan
Can you spot the 2 differences 🙊 ?
There is no other way to improve, just hard work.
By default a C-Pen usually are FH dominant and once they also acquire RPB skill-set: We must either be a better counter-looper than him or play short, really short. Either way, we are F*CK3D!

• Haha
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Very good advice. For me learning RBP was actually quite easy as I came from shakehand, imo RPB is totally the same as shakehand backhand.

I even read somewhere chinese teach young high level penhold players a shakehand backhand so they can learn RPB quick from there but not sure if that is true.

I had much more trouble learning TPB and backhand push (just had a DM conversation with Victor couple days ago about that:))
I play c-pen/RPB when I get bored playing shake hands. I find c-pen/rpb to be as natural as playing shake hands even though I usually play shake hands.
I have a video of me playing c-pen/rpb. It it obvious that I don't play c-pen/rpb most of the time but I still can play a credible job playing c-pen/rpb.
I tend to hit the ball rpb rather than tpb given the choice.
I have been to china a few times. No one there would know I am not a c-pen/rpb player. The goal is still the same. Win points. The disadvantage of c-pen/rpb is that it takes a stronger wrist. That is not a problem for me. My wrists are strong even though I have broke both of them in my life.. The advantage is that there is no weak spots or pockets, A TPB will cover the pocket area. If you like to use your wrist then c-pen/rpb is a good choice. You must also be able roll the paddle between your fingers when switching between FH and BH and back.

I can loop with a tpb as well as a rpb. It just takes some wrist/fore arm motion, When playing close to the table, there is no need for more. All this garbage about using legs and waist is for wimps. It is paddle speed that counts. if you need legs and waist motion to get paddle speed then OK. Unless you play far back from the table all you need is your wrist and fore arm.

I don't see why people make such a big deal between the different ways of holding a paddle. Both seem natural.

Finally, I taught my Chinese practice partner to use RPB.

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
I have tried goofing around with my friend C-Pen, attempting to do RPB with it. The ball flew all over the place. It was not easy. So respect for the awesome RPB Victor. I know it is not an easy shot.
Hey 👋 thank you. Not easy to move from TPB to RPB.
I used only one rubber during many years.
And then, I added the 2nd rubber for learning and using RPB.
In the beginning, I felt some pain because of the weight I think so. But now, my wrist is stronger and I don't have any pain at all.
My paddle speed and wrist are fast, but why not to add a little bit more using the buddy, waist and legs? If I can take advantage of that, I will take it 🤣 🙌.
More tournaments are coming soon, and I'm excited to see what I can do with those weapons.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have tried goofing around with my friend C-Pen, attempting to do RPB with it. The ball flew all over the place. It was not easy. So respect for the awesome RPB Victor. I know it is not an easy shot.

For me it has helped to kinda try to open the blade a little by pushing down the thumb. Rpb blade is naturally very closed so if you push down the thumb on the blade it gets a few degrees more open and it gets easier to hit rpb.

• Love
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014

For me it has helped to kinda try to open the blade a little by pushing down the thumb. Rpb blade is naturally very closed so if you push down the thumb on the blade it gets a few degrees more open and it gets easier to hit rpb.

Nice tip 👌 with the finger.
That's exactly what I did, and it helped me to improve in consistency 🏓 🔥

Reactions: Dominikk85