Dilemma with cost-benefit on European vs Chinese rubbers

This user has no status.
I'm actually amazed that there before there was "what rubber plays like T05", now it is H3 lol.

If the rubber is good, I'm sure there can find a way to sponsor a top 50 player in a world (doesn't cost too much money, if you compared to above the line marketing), and get him/her to use those cheap rubbers.
Why is it not done yet?
At most I can think of is Yinhe's pips with some 2nd tier, or half retired player using it.
But inverted rubbers, H3 like... the closest I think to pro level usage was 729
There are no replacements for these rubbers.

This user has no status.
Try a sheet of Friendship 729 Focus III Snipe in 2.3mm sponge (now just called the Focus III). Been using it for years, and when cleaned daily it lasts a long time, and is made by ESN now, so it's a good quality rubber.

You should get six months of use out of it at the practice rates you mentioned, and when new it performs very similar to the Xiom Vega Europe. A sheet only costs around US $18 -$22 so even if it doesn't last, you've lost very little. The Palio AK-47 series of rubbers is another very similar alternative which should last a reasonable amount of time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
Try a sheet of Friendship 729 Focus III Snipe in 2.3mm sponge (now just called the Focus III). Been using it for years, and when cleaned daily it lasts a long time, and is made by ESN now, so it's a good quality rubber.

You should get six months of use out of it at the practice rates you mentioned, and when new it performs very similar to the Xiom Vega Europe. A sheet only costs around US $18 -$22 so even if it doesn't last, you've lost very little. The Palio AK-47 series of rubbers is another very similar alternative which should last a reasonable amount of time.

That is actually far from being an alternative. Both rubbers mentioned dont come close to the spin capabilities of the rubbers OP uses. In addition they are slower and produces really weird or even bad arcs with performing topspins.

But yes they are at least closer to vega europe (still worse in both mentioned categories) which is still pretty far away from his current setup, though.

This user has no status.

That is actually far from being an alternative. Both rubbers mentioned dont come close to the spin capabilities of the rubbers OP uses. In addition they are slower and produces really weird or even bad arcs with performing topspins.

But yes they are at least closer to vega europe (still worse in both mentioned categories) which is still pretty far away from his current setup, though.

I agree the F3S doesn't compare to the OP rubber cited, but I'm not suggesting them for tournament use.

Perhaps I have misread the OP, but it seemed to be asking for good quality, cost-effective Training rubber alternatives.

Having used a large number of common Chinese training rubbers myself, I can say that IMO, most of them do not perform nearly well enough to constitute as an realistic alternative to the OP's rubbers.

I mention the F3S here only as a training rubber option in this instance; it doesn't have the spin or speed of the OP euro rubbers, and if money were not an issue, I would recommend the Xiom Vega as a training rubber instead, as it out-performs the F3S on both (though to be fair, the F3S also typically outlasts the Vega for me personally).

However, the OP also clearly says cost is an issue. So given the F3S is a reasonably close alternative to the Vega, but only half the price, I thought I would recommend it.

Your comment over inconsistent spin or arc with the F3S is noted, but is not my experience. The only time I have gotten inconsistent performance from them is when they have been partially stretched during mounting / gluing. If however you mount them to a blade without tension / stretching them *at all*, they perform perfectly well.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Seems to me there is some kind of culture in amateur or forum space of having EJ habit when it comes to training rubbers and tournament rubbers.

In my space, the only training vs tournament rubbers is the freshness of the rubber - yes the same rubbers.
Not sure if there is any one in the world who trains with X rubbers and then players with Y on tournament days. That only happens annual on April 1.

This user has no status.
Seems to me there is some kind of culture in amateur or forum space of having EJ habit when it comes to training rubbers and tournament rubbers.

In my space, the only training vs tournament rubbers is the freshness of the rubber - yes the same rubbers.
Not sure if there is any one in the world who trains with X rubbers and then players with Y on tournament days. That only happens annual on April 1.
Yeah yeah. But I still wanna try a lot of rubbers under the excuse of “training set”
🤣

What do you think of H3 BS+ Mantra M as a set for spin oriented attacker? I think I’m going to stick with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Yeah yeah. But I still wanna try a lot of rubbers under the excuse of “training set”
🤣

What do you think of H3 BS+ Mantra M as a set for spin oriented attacker? I think I’m going to stick with it.

I recall reading somewhere that Mantra's have a reputation for poor longevity. Probably any other medium-hard rubber will last longer.

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Seems to me there is some kind of culture in amateur or forum space of having EJ habit when it comes to training rubbers and tournament rubbers.In my space, the only training vs tournament rubbers is the freshness of the rubber - yes the same rubbers.Not sure if there is any one in the world who trains with X rubbers and then players with Y on tournament days. That only happens annual on April 1.
Hello Tony,

If I may, I wish to hear your input as a coach.I have these FH rubber that I can use interchangeably, i.e., Donic Bluefire M1, Tibhar Evolution MX-P & Andro Rasanter R48. All of these rubbers are ESN and have similar hardness sponge ( around 47.5 - 48 degree ). Are they too different to be used interchangeably in your opinion?

Should I only stick to one? My personal feel is that my FH tend to like the 47 - 48 degree space and anything lower like 45 is too mushy for me and if 50 it becomes unplayable for me too.

Why do I have these three rubber? They are the remnant from my EJ'ing days. I cured my EJ'ing disease around six months ago, thereabout. ( NB: R48 is my relapse purchase and is the only one rubber purchased in a space of six months which is a record for me. ) I am thinking it is a waste if I were to let the other two sit there do nothing.

So Tony, let me repeat again my question: Is it detrimental to my game if I use these almost similar rubber interchangeably? Thanks in advance and eager to hear your input.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
🤣

I used the Mantra M and H before, it was too soft for me,
then I went to dna pro m and h
dna pro h was good enough for me

left it unboosted.

Mantra is kindly getting off the radar, so future supply could also be a challenge.
I suggest you can try DNA Platinum M

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

I recall reading somewhere that Mantra's have a reputation for poor longevity. Probably any other medium-hard rubber will last longer.

I feel Mantra is okay in terms of longevity.
Feels average compared to the norms of ESN.

I did experience strong shrinkage though.

The other Japanese made rubbers before Mantra however was full of disasters. I think Mantra was ok.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hello Tony,

If I may, I wish to hear your input as a coach.I have these FH rubber that I can use interchangeably, i.e., Donic Bluefire M1, Tibhar Evolution MX-P & Andro Rasanter R48. All of these rubbers are ESN and have similar hardness sponge ( around 47.5 - 48 degree ). Are they too different to be used interchangeably in your opinion?

Should I only stick to one? My personal feel is that my FH tend to like the 47 - 48 degree space and anything lower like 45 is too mushy for me and if 50 it becomes unplayable for me too.

Why do I have these three rubber? They are the remnant from my EJ'ing days. I cured my EJ'ing disease around six months ago, thereabout. ( NB: R48 is my relapse purchase and is the only one rubber purchased in a space of six months which is a record for me. ) I am thinking it is a waste if I were to let the other two sit there do nothing.

So Tony, let me repeat again my question: Is it detrimental to my game if I use these almost similar rubber interchangeably? Thanks in advance and eager to hear your input.

HI Gozo,

I think the idea is to stick with one, and groom your entire body, mind and your equipment together.
If you change, then train a lot with it, so that new equipment becomes part of you.
End of the day, you need to be comfortable with it, and it can do things for you when you need it the most.

I honestly do not know much of the world of EJ, where you have 3 different FH rubbers.
Maybe EJ expert can comment on how it is done.

However from my view, you aren't playing serious competition - it doesn't really matter if you win, or if you loose. Your livelihood doesn't depend on it for example. So if it is fun for you, I think it is okay.

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
This user has no status.
Hello Tony,

Still remember your Blue sponge TG2? 😁

Mar 2021
Still remember your Blue sponge TG2? 😁

Twa's a time long ago in antiquity; it twa's the old dark times. Before the meeting of the messiah and the arising of the age of enlightenment. Not shown the path of light, this lost lamb roam aimlessly in the desert of ignorance. Alas, the messiah appears before this lost lamb and shepperded him to the path of righteousness. All this for a the humble asking price of USD 25.00 per hour before VAT. I also get some dicount vouchers to his store for discounted purchase.

Last edited:
  • Haha