Fan Zhendong blade series!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

Haven't seen any top player switch to SALC yet, but I think there has been a trend of top players switching to inner ALC

For me personaly, it helps when I'm at mid distance BH, my shots ended often in the net, now this small extra kick drives it just over 😂

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Timo Boll has 6
add on the Spirit and Spark, you get 8 blades

(ALC, ZLC, ZLF, T5000, W5, W7, TB Spirit, TB Spark)

Screen%20Shot%202022%2007%2019%20at%203%2044%2044%20PM%20png.png

That is a screenshot from RevSpin. My count, from that screenshot is that there have been at least 18 Butterfly Timo Boll blades. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

So I wonder why they choose to make so many blades named for TB, but LYJ and LGY only get 1.

Timo's name sells well on every continent, adults like him, children wanna be like him...
He has been a BTY contract player for 20+ years, they had time to make a few models.

LGY, LYJ are much younger and way less popular.
Yep. I am not sure why or how Butterfly calculated that Timo was great for marketing. But I think that is what their experience has been over the past 20+ years. They did not start Timo out with as many blades as they are starting FZD out with. But as the blades sold, they added more and more and more.

They are sad they don't have Ma Long.....And we will see how FZD's blades sell. If they do well, you can be sure Butterfly will add versions like Wood 7, Wood 5, All, All+, Off-......

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.

Not according to Butterfly.

Both are listed as:

Vibration: 10.3
Reaction: 11.8

The only "evidence" I've seen of there being a difference, is online users saying they feel one..... Which may be true, and it could be down to the natural difference in manufacture/wood.

Although I very much suspect the vast majority of people who say they feel a difference, do so because the blade is different and they want to feel a difference.

I think many ppl underestimate the difference another handle makes. Yeah it doesnt change the composition at all, but it changes the weight distribution and handfeel. That could be enough for ppl having different experiences with pretty much the same blades.
And the difference between a TB ALC and Viscaria handle is pretty huge.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I know some people are expecting a revolutionary new blade/technology..... but there just isn't anything that can improve the current offering.

The FZD "signature" blade (the one he uses), is....... drum roll please....... A rebranded TB ALC, which is a rebranded Viscaria.

I know people say the TB ALC and Viscaria are different, but Butterfly don't think they are, and any changes online users can feel, are either because they want to feel a difference, or because you get minor differences between 2 of the same blade anyway.

The question is going to be...... Will Butterfly try and take advantage of the FZD name (and recoup some of their costs), and charge a higher price for this blade?

I've actually been semi impressed that they've not charged more for some of the recent releases.

The Haimoto ALC and Ovtcharov ALC were all priced in line with the other blades - No big mark up because it's a new blade.

But let's be real. If Butterfly charge an extra 20% over the TB ALC and Viscaria.... It'll still sell in seconds!

The different models with viscaria structure are still slightly different, e.g. a viscaria has more vibration than a boll alc, but these differences are very small and there is more variation between different blades of the same model. I would expect this FZD alc to be basically the same as a viscaria, but there may be some very small difference.

Not according to Butterfly.

Both are listed as:

Vibration: 10.3
Reaction: 11.8

The only "evidence" I've seen of there being a difference, is online users saying they feel one..... Which may be true, and it could be down to the natural difference in manufacture/wood.

Although I very much suspect the vast majority of people who say they feel a difference, do so because the blade is different and they want to feel a difference.

The slight differences in handle shape/size, and blade face may cause people to like one version more than another, but I suspect people who expound on the differences between blades like TB ALC and Viscaria are basing their experience on testing ONE of EACH BLADE.

If you had a sample of 20-30 of each blade, the blades closest to the same weight, whether TB ALC or Viscaria, would feel more alike and the blades at different weights, regardless of which one, would feel more different: ie: 4 TB ALCs and 4 Viscarias all at 92.5 grams, would feel very similar. And 4 Viscarias of 92.5 grams would feel very different than 4 other Viscarias of 84.5 grams.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Yep. I am not sure why or how Butterfly calculated that Timo was great for marketing.

Aww, come on :) I only saw his early matches from recordings but he seemed like a very respectful and level headed athlete even in his late teens. Also it was obvious he is very talented and not least he was a handsome chap too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

In my opinion, they should really just make one blade per player.
if the player uses zlf, then that should be a zlf blade.

there is really no meaning to using a FZD zlf, for example, if FZD doesn't even want to use it himself.
there is too many models, and too many similarities.

I'm sorry for Butterfly resellers.... the inventory management is a nightmare

I do not understand your point of view. Apart from the fact that most of the players who have a blade signed with their name do not play exactly with the blade that is sold in stores, in my opinion what Butterfly has done with a series of Fan Zhendong, Timo Boll, Zhang Jike and Tomokazu Harimoto blades is actually very cool, because it is often the case that the player likes to play with some specific blade but it is a bit too fast or too stiff for him and then he can buy exactly the same model, but instead of, for example, alc fiber he can buy a model with zlc or zlf fiber. In my opinion, it is a very good solution for customers and this trend should continue as I wrote earlier, it is a pity that they did not make a version with zlf fiber, because in my opinion it is a very interesting fiber especially for people who do not like blades with carbon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

I think many ppl underestimate the difference another handle makes. Yeah it doesnt change the composition at all, but it changes the weight distribution and handfeel. That could be enough for ppl having different experiences with pretty much the same blades.

Thank god 🙏. I should make a thread about that...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Yeah. There is a point to this. Handle and the contours of the blade face change how the blade feels in your hand. And I think there are a lot of people who are not paying attention to much more than that when they try a new blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
The slight differences in handle shape/size, and blade face may cause people to like one version more than another, but I suspect people who expound on the differences between blades like TB ALC and Viscaria are basing their experience on testing ONE of EACH BLADE.

If you had a sample of 20-30 of each blade, the blades closest to the same weight, whether TB ALC or Viscaria, would feel more alike and the blades at different weights, regardless of which one, would feel more different: ie: 4 TB ALCs and 4 Viscarias all at 92.5 grams, would feel very similar. And 4 Viscarias of 92.5 grams would feel very different than 4 other Viscarias of 84.5 grams.

But playing an H3 on a Viscaria and a Boll ALC should still be the same right? Unlike what the Chinese forum people are fighting over.
God, they start insulting me personally when I say I use H3 on Boll ALC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
But playing an H3 on a Viscaria and a Boll ALC should still be the same right? Unlike what the Chinese forum people are fighting over.
God, they start insulting me personally when I say I use H3 on Boll ALC.

Insulting you for this? That is seriously dumb. There are Chinese pros that use TB ALC and not Viscaria. I think I even saw TB ALC in penhold being used before.
If I had to spend money I would probably get the Lin Gaoyuan ALC now, since that is the prettiest from them all, but all of these basically Viscaria variants are very similar. I would be shocked if the bottom plate itself was not produced on the very same line for all and in the end they just get a different printing + handle. That being said BTY can still sort them, since they might have weight, balance, stiffness, hardness targets for each version.

This user has no status.

Insulting you for this? That is seriously dumb. There are Chinese pros that use TB ALC and not Viscaria. I think I even saw TB ALC in penhold being used before.
If I had to spend money I would probably get the Lin Gaoyuan ALC now, since that is the prettiest from them all, but all of these basically Viscaria variants are very similar. I would be shocked if the bottom plate itself was not produced on the very same line for all and in the end they just get a different printing + handle. That being said BTY can still sort them, since they might have weight, balance, stiffness, hardness targets for each version.

If my eyes dont fool me, that should have been Dang Qiu.
@PingBirdPong: Yeah ignore them. The composition is the same as many chinese use their H3 with Vis, so if you feel comfortable the TB ALC stick with it. I actually played with it too some time ago. But my hand is not really made for ST handles :(
But the feedback and overall feel of the blade was kinda beautiful to experience.

This user has no status.

@PingBirdPong: Yeah ignore them. The composition is the same as many chinese use their H3 with Vis, so if you feel comfortable the TB ALC stick with it. I actually played with it too some time ago. But my hand is not really made for ST handles :(
But the feedback and overall feel of the blade was kinda beautiful to experience.

Got it. But what exactly is the difference between FL and ST? Would ST suite bigger hands?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

I think he uses Innerforce ALC. Or he used to, but in pen it looks even more like a TB ALC. 😬
I saw it during superleague matches and I have no idea of the player's name unfortunately. Wang Chun Ting also uses a pen ZJK ALC so I don't get why anyone would fuss over this too much.