Loop technique of dense sponge vs porous sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
After testing various rubbers, I notice that the loop stroke is demanded to be different for dense sponge vs porous sponge. I typically play with dense sponge, so that is basically my default.

For Dense sponge, I find that loop is best with a slightly more closed racket, and more brushing stroke.

But whenever I play with porous and softer rubbers, I notice that the racket needs to be more open, and the stroke has to hit forward through the ball more. I find that if I try to brush loop the ball, the rubber can't quite pick up the ball and it goes into the net.

Is this finding consistent with what others have found?

This user has no status.
Not for me. I used everything and the only rubber I found brush looped much harder than others were: Hiromi M - so non grippy it just couldnt get grip
Yes they require a slightly different technique but thats about it.
But whats more important is what fits you. I hate Fastarc G-1 on my backhand and feel like it slips when looping, dont know why, TG3 works and on the opposite side I can get on with Rhyzen CMD. Its just a bit of what feels right for you!

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Yes they require a slightly different technique but thats about it. Its just a bit of what feels right for you!
Agree!

Blade/rubber combination has a big effect too.

Personally, I cannot play an outer ALC blade with Euro/Japanese rubbers. And I cannot play an all-wood or inner carbon blade with Chinese rubbers.

PS: I do find G-1 to be too slippery too, whereas I don't have that problem with C-1 which i find more grippy.

Last edited: