High Rated OX Long Pip Players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I'm trying to vamp up my forehand power, but still have to use OX LP on the backhand... that being the case, does anyone know of decently skilled players (say, 2200 USATT+) who us OX LP for blocking and play aggressive FH attacks? Any in the USATT system with matches on youtube? Or any players in the german/euro leagues?

A few I am watching now:

min hyung jee
manika batra
sreeja akula
abbasi amirreza

But those are all PRETTY high levels! Their games don't really reflect a more realistic style for amateur level...

This user has no status.
I'm trying to vamp up my forehand power, but still have to use OX LP on the backhand... that being the case, does anyone know of decently skilled players (say, 2200 USATT+) who us OX LP for blocking and play aggressive FH attacks? Any in the USATT system with matches on youtube? Or any players in the german/euro leagues?

A few I am watching now:

min hyung jee
manika batra
sreeja akula
abbasi amirreza

But those are all PRETTY high levels! Their games don't really reflect a more realistic style for amateur level...

Yang Xiaoxin (uses P1V in 0.5mm, so not exactly OX, but mostly plays like someone who does).
Kyoka Idesawa (2019 All Japan Jr. Champion. Uses Short pips (VO 102) on FH and Curl P5V OX on BH). You can find a ton of videos of her if you look up her name 出澤杏佳

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
If you are playing mostly against players mostly rated under 2300 or so, you are better off using OX, as it gives better control & built in variations, bigger contrast between your long pips & inverted on your forehand (if you use it) .as well very dead balls if you smash. Sponge under the long pips in above case gives lesser control , lesser variation and lesser spin contrast from your smooth forehand rubber. Of course it is harder to learn to use OX at first becaus of the huge contrast from your inveretd sponge forehand but once you learn to use it, you have a huge advantage.
Above is true whether you are blocker or a chopper.

But if most of your opponents are over 2300, you want some sponge below the long pips because the heavy loops from your (boosted up) opponents will shoot off the wood if you use an OX rubber and this is probably why most pros have thick sponge under their long pips.(In fact at 2800 level I have seen some loops dig so deep in to the sponge of the chopper & shoot off the wood & go long sometimes)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016

I know Earl James Alto "2500/2600 USATT" and Alex Wu "2400"

Those are some good choppers. It seems rare to find any decent forehand choppers in the usatt system. The ones I know of are all females! Unless you want to count the Kaz guy.

I wonder why it is the female choppers seem to favor fh chops as well... yes, men's strength, but!! The girls have to play vs men as well, so I don't know if that is the reason.

But thanks a bunch for the names, theyve each got a few good videos to watch.

Reactions: VictorMoraga
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
a friend of mine, went to the US, had wins over 2600 players, so ended up with a rating of around 2500.
I think it is because US doesn't have high quality chop blockers, so even 2600 players can loose to them.
I think she is more around 2300.