Videos from Today

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Very cool.

Why is doing this type of multiball training better than just rallying with the kid and hitting those 1-2 FH drills?

Each has they own advantages. You need to be doing both to understand the values.
To summarize, you can push the player more with multiball

One of the interesting things to see is how Tony is reading the needs of the trainee and adding the random element into the drill to an extent that makes it very productive. It would be harder to do that if Tony was just blocking back but it still can be done.

I actually find it very interesting to watch Tony coach and how, in each of the clips it is easy to see how well he is reading the trainee....even to the point of stopping and giving a small direction cue when the trainee has gotten into a bad rhythm. Just that brief pause can cause things to reset so the trainee comes out of that rhythm and finds the right groove for the stroke again.

Tony is doing much more than simply feeding balls in all of these clips and to me, it is impressive to see.....you can really see that he is a real coach who is comfortable showing the actual process.

And the big thing to see is to watch how Tony is really, really, reading the needs of his trainee for their continued progression and development.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

One of the interesting things to see is how Tony is reading the needs of the trainee and adding the random element into the drill to an extent that makes it very productive. It would be harder to do that if Tony was just blocking back but it still can be done.

I actually find it very interesting to watch Tony coach and how, in each of the clips it is easy to see how well he is reading the trainee....even to the point of stopping and giving a small direction cue when the trainee has gotten into a bad rhythm. Just that brief pause can cause things to reset so the trainee comes out of that rhythm and finds the right groove for the stroke again.

Tony is doing much more than simply feeding balls in all of these clips and to me, it is impressive to see.....you can really see that he is a real coach who is comfortable showing the actual process.

And the big thing to see is to watch how Tony is really, really, reading the needs of his trainee for their continued progression and development.

Well spotted!!

It is very difficult to teach players (who feed to each other) to read the trainee.
To me, multiball is useless if you can't read the player. Might as well as just getting a robot.
And for that reason, that is also why I think robots are useless for proper training (getting fit and training to improve is different).

Pushing the limits with multiball, is indeed reading, and knowing how far you can push.
Some talking/encouraging is also required, and resetting is SO important.
If you go through a batch of "bad" shots, then you need to stop it, give the trainee few seconds to reset, and restart.

PS, the first few videos - that boy is American.
He hopes to surface in the future and challenge national team position (that is the kid's dream, of what I heard from his coach).

and Darryl was here few months ago, Sally came here when she was in elementary school already, and many of the girls you see in the background are Sally's junior high school teammates.
Sally didn't join our school, as she's been training with guys for the past while so went to a guys tt team school nearby (but would request to have practice matches with our girls before tournaments).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I recall a while back on this forum, there was talks about cross over.

The underspin full table feed to the boy, and the 3 point fh feed to the girl - wide FH is all cross over

Underspin full table is one of the most painful drills I’ve ever done with a damaged knee. I like to call it the “homework”

This user has no status.

Well spotted!!

It is very difficult to teach players (who feed to each other) to read the trainee.
To me, multiball is useless if you can't read the player. Might as well as just getting a robot.
And for that reason, that is also why I think robots are useless for proper training (getting fit and training to improve is different).

Pushing the limits with multiball, is indeed reading, and knowing how far you can push.
Some talking/encouraging is also required, and resetting is SO important.
If you go through a batch of "bad" shots, then you need to stop it, give the trainee few seconds to reset, and restart.

PS, the first few videos - that boy is American.
He hopes to surface in the future and challenge national team position (that is the kid's dream, of what I heard from his coach).

and Darryl was here few months ago, Sally came here when she was in elementary school already, and many of the girls you see in the background are Sally's junior high school teammates.
Sally didn't join our school, as she's been training with guys for the past while so went to a guys tt team school nearby (but would request to have practice matches with our girls before tournaments).

That's the techniques that an outstanding coach possesses. It explains why many excellent players are unable to be excellent coaches.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

That's the techniques that an outstanding coach possesses. It explains why many excellent players are unable to be excellent coaches.

It also explains why Tony is happy to post footage of him working with his students and EmratThich is not! There is a difference between a real coach and someone who just posts stuff about principles but does not show himself, his work or the progress of the people he works with. One is in plain sight and one is hiding and pretending.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

It also explains why Tony is happy to post footage of him working with his students and EmratThich is not! There is a difference between a real coach and someone who just posts stuff about principles but does not show himself, his work or the progress of the people he works with. One is in plain sight and one is hiding and pretending.

Well, if I also have the free time like ERT who can edit videos, make channels, blog, vlog, I would become a bigger celebrity than him/her.

But, I am working full time (flexi hours) and assisting with the school to the time of around 10-15 hours a week (they train 30 hours during school term, now it is holiday, so they doing around 40~45 hours a week).

So even though, my TT hours is less than 20 hours a week, but my total work hours is over 50 a week and I have a young family to take care of too.
So having saying that, I don't see how ERT would even have the time to put in coaching hours, by being a full time youtuber.
I tried to do my own video editing and posting, but those 2 to 3 hours (min) a day, is time I don't have. And I trust you need a good 4-8 hours a day to stay on top of the youtuber game.

And I agree, if you want to be in the trade, you need to be hands on and other than learning from seniors before you, to also experience things yourself, so you can one day have your own way to teach.

In South Africa, not to be arrogant, I do consider myself to be top of the coaching game (including introducing the culture of multiball to many coaches and players there - to the extent, I produced my own training ball, to sell to them, which is better quality than most brands, and at a portion of the price). But in Asia, I am simply a junior, a no-name, I still have so much to learn from all the more advance minds in the game. Just like the 3 coaches I am learning from in this school.

One is near retirement, he has been a full time coach for nearly 40 years. His former student's kids are now his student. His former student is now his colleague, his former student's student is now his student. Then we have a former top 30 in the world, and wealth of pro circuit experience, and coach for near 2 decade, someone who went through the old school and succeeded, many kids look up to him and follow him - even when he moved cities (yes, the kids moved cities to stay with him!!). Then we have a younger one (former student of the head coach) and someone who knows the game so well, that he is often acts as a role as technical analysis for live matches (TV)

Otherwise, you are as good as a story teller, of which ERT is. He only tells the stories of others and its a pity, we can't hear of anything of his own, or that of his students. To me, the likes of ERT can be replaced any given day. Unless one can produce they own stories to share.

I do encourage all hidden youtubers, to come out, just like many that do - including the likes of Dan and TTD family - it is just so much better for the sport than just being a rebroadcaster, story teller hidden away in the back.

This user has no status.

Well, if I also have the free time like ERT who can edit videos, make channels, blog, vlog, I would become a bigger celebrity than him/her.

But, I am working full time (flexi hours) and assisting with the school to the time of around 10-15 hours a week (they train 30 hours during school term, now it is holiday, so they doing around 40~45 hours a week).

So even though, my TT hours is less than 20 hours a week, but my total work hours is over 50 a week and I have a young family to take care of too.
So having saying that, I don't see how ERT would even have the time to put in coaching hours, by being a full time youtuber.
I tried to do my own video editing and posting, but those 2 to 3 hours (min) a day, is time I don't have. And I trust you need a good 4-8 hours a day to stay on top of the youtuber game.

And I agree, if you want to be in the trade, you need to be hands on and other than learning from seniors before you, to also experience things yourself, so you can one day have your own way to teach.

In South Africa, not to be arrogant, I do consider myself to be top of the coaching game (including introducing the culture of multiball to many coaches and players there - to the extent, I produced my own training ball, to sell to them, which is better quality than most brands, and at a portion of the price). But in Asia, I am simply a junior, a no-name, I still have so much to learn from all the more advance minds in the game. Just like the 3 coaches I am learning from in this school.

One is near retirement, he has been a full time coach for nearly 40 years. His former student's kids are now his student. His former student is now his colleague, his former student's student is now his student. Then we have a former top 30 in the world, and wealth of pro circuit experience, and coach for near 2 decade, someone who went through the old school and succeeded, many kids look up to him and follow him - even when he moved cities (yes, the kids moved cities to stay with him!!). Then we have a younger one (former student of the head coach) and someone who knows the game so well, that he is often acts as a role as technical analysis for live matches (TV)

Otherwise, you are as good as a story teller, of which ERT is. He only tells the stories of others and its a pity, we can't hear of anything of his own, or that of his students. To me, the likes of ERT can be replaced any given day. Unless one can produce they own stories to share.

I do encourage all hidden youtubers, to come out, just like many that do - including the likes of Dan and TTD family - it is just so much better for the sport than just being a rebroadcaster, story teller hidden away in the back.

I mean, realistically one can only focus on one main thing at a time. If you focus on being a YouTuber, then you have no time to become a great coach. But, if you become a great coach first, then become a YouTuber, you can be both. I fully support Tony making a TT channel when he has the time.😁

This user has no status.

Then you are better than me!!!

I can feed it, I can no longer receive those feeds haha

Humble and funny you are🤣
I never said I could return those feeds well, I get about 5 out of 10, and only 3 are good quality.
I need serious help🙃

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I mean, realistically one can only focus on one main thing at a time. If you focus on being a YouTuber, then you have no time to become a great coach. But, if you become a great coach first, then become a YouTuber, you can be both. I fully support Tony making a TT channel when he has the time.😁

What I have witness in Asia
Kids starting at 6 or 8, ends at 18, uses TT to get into University (or departs from TT in uni), so say they are involved in tt till say 21 or 24 - that is a good 80% of their lives in TT (near 20 years) and want nothing more to do with TT after studies..

Then you get those that stay on to be a coach, so say from 25 to 40, or 25 to 50, or 25 to 60.
Its difficult to be a coach when you are older for various reasons.

So now, we talking, someone who is 50 years old and has over 40 years of TT, or 60 years old with 50 years of TT.
I honestly don't think they will have any more energy for youtubing of TT.

I'm not sure if the western world can understand the amount of TT involved, that so many want to no longer be part of it.
In the western world, with so little TT in a week, the life cycle can be till your 90 years old +.
In Asia, any pro/semi pro, hardly see them over 60 still active with the bat. Either up in some admin / management position, or totally out of it.
Of course your amateur space is up to 90+

Last edited:
Reactions: PingBirdPong
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Humble and funny you are🤣I never said I could return those feeds well, I get about 5 out of 10, and only 3 are good quality.I need serious help🙃

What a wuss...Come on Tony! Give me those feeds. I am hungry for more feeds. I have plenty of vicodin / oxycodone at home on stand-by. As El Kapitan Amerika says, " Come on! I could do this all day! "

Last edited:
This user has no status.
What a wuss...Come on Tony! Give me those feeds. I am hungry for more feeds. I have plenty of vicodin / oxycodone at home on stand-by. As El Kapitan Amerika says, " Come on! I could do this all day! "

Oxycodone is addictive, be careful🙂

• Haha
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

That's the spirit.

That little girl from yesterday comes from a more "rural" part of the country.
This holiday, the parents sent her (away from home) to a TT school (she is 8....) , so she can train at more structured and reputable training centres in the country.

So yesterday, when I saw she was tired in the drill. I said, okay go rest and another alternating player can come on.
She looked at me and shook her head and said no, she is not tired and she wants to continue (also because she didn't finish the container of balls - around 150~200 balls)
When I said, okay, lets continue.... I could see that joy in her eyes.
And when she said no, she is not tired, there was also that shock and sadness too.

very touching

Mar 2021

That's the spirit.

This holiday, the parents sent her (away from home) to a TT school (she is 8....) , so she can train at more structured and reputable training centres in the country.

So yesterday, when I saw she was tired in the drill. I said, okay go rest and another alternating player can come on.
She looked at me and shook her head and said no, she is not tired and she wants to continue (also because she didn't finish the container of balls - around 150~200 balls)
And when she said no, she is not tired, there was also that shock and sadness too.

very touching

What a smart consumer. She is demanding the best bang for her buck! Her parents taught her well. She is like, " Tony, I want my money's worth. Every penny of it. Now, work my arse off. I am paying you good money "

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.

That's the spirit.

very touching

“知之者不如好之者,好之者不如乐之者”
It mean that the best people at something are the ones that take joy from it. The girl with her attitude, is bound to be a hell of a player. Please send my best regards and immense respect!🫡

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
You have your own brand of balls. That has to count for something... 🤣

Its just who you know.

in 2012, I started my company - Tony's Table Tennis.
Came back to the sport after a good 5 to 8 years being away.
Nothing has improved in South Africa, so I decided to give back and help and from there, shop, academy and agency kindof just fallen into place.

I travel the word, made friends all over the world and from 1 to 2, 2 to 4, became hundreds.

End of the day, its not what you know, but who you know.
And its easy to make friends through sports and I am very grateful for many friends that I made over the years of me being a "professional" in table tennis (a pro in another sense :) )