Videos from Today

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

So today I was invited to spend time in a filming for AI (look at my other thread) table tennis coaching.

Li brothers were invited to be part of the study (1 beaten Dima before when he was WR#1 - "click here to watch" and both are LYJ's practice partners, the leftie must also be credited for 4 of Lin's wins over Chinese lefties this year).

The rallies are for educational, so I would say, only at 20%, maybe 30% max of they true potential.
If you want to see what is 80% click "here"

Last edited:
Reactions: latej and Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Not so much today, but today many many years ago.
FB video, so here is the link (apologies for the quality, old videos, with old camera or phone with low quality lens)

Adult learner, started age 31, and 2 years into total (then 33) with 18 months of proper training.
Doing 3 point FH. Link here

2 x Adult learner, going for a serve challenge.
Equal amount of balls to start, and see how many can land the ball into the container.
Serving hard is easy, serving soft is not.
Pressure makes it even harder, and I always like to incorporate fun into my trainings (very non asian of me lol).
Link here

One of my better students, at age 17 or 18, won U21 bronze medal in Africa, was an olympic hopeful for me (I had only a handful of hopefuls)...even though South Africa has a TT history of not approving qualified players due to the policy of, not sending a player if they are not medal contenders or top 16 in the world (even if they request for self funding), but I still thought, let me worry about this policy once I get a player to qualify

Sadly, her journey to national team had too much politics involved, and decided study life and future career can't bare disappointment for non team selection over and over again.

Back to reality for many.... we had a challenge as tournaments always come up in school holidays, and before school holiday's start, there is always exams.
I recall this training was her 1st day back after exams were concluded (not touching her bat for 3 to 4 weeks). and throughout the years, we had the same issue.... how can one prepare for a tournament 1 to 2 weeks after exams... when do you train? how do you train?

anyways, she is fighter and i'm sure her training and hardship will have some form of value in her life.
I know I haven't develop an olympian yet, but the olympic spirit is something we strive for (the journey of getting there - even if we don't, we tried)
Link here

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Match practice, starting at 7-7.
One game, and next player up.
with 4 points at stake, it is really anyone's game.

295847643_789001575606461_7851388100341831733_n.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Today, working on 2 lefies (On the middle table)
Both play close to the table and I wanted to work on their stroke away from the table.
The one with yellow has BH SP.

In the table closer towards the camera, the blue/black leftie has SP on FH

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Dayum they’re good!
Any chance one of these girls is single?🤣🤣
(joke BTW)

Well, I think most of them are single.

School from 8am to 1:30pm (they get off early), and TT from 2pm to 6pm (if no evening session)
If there is evening session, then till 5:30pm and then 7pm to 8:30pm~9pm (they will do home work after this, as well as laundry and other stuff)
Saturday would be 9am to 11:30am, and then 2pm to 5pm.
Sunday is always off, unless big tournaments coming up, then 2pm to 5pm.
This totals to a min of 28~29 hours of team training per week (over and on top of the 27 hours of school hours)

Holiday time, it is 9am to 11:30am, and then 2pm to 6pm, 6 days a week.
This totals to a min of 40 hours of team training per week.

The above is "team" training time. Many times, there will be private training, which is around 1.5hr to 2hr over on top the daily schedule.

They really don't have much spare time, yet alone to be dating.
But they are your age though

• Haha
Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.

Well, I think most of them are single.

School from 8am to 1:30pm (they get off early), and TT from 2pm to 6pm (if no evening session)
If there is evening session, then till 5:30pm and then 7pm to 8:30pm~9pm (they will do home work after this, as well as laundry and other stuff)
Saturday would be 9am to 11:30am, and then 2pm to 5pm.
Sunday is always off, unless big tournaments coming up, then 2pm to 5pm.
This totals to a min of 28~29 hours of team training per week (over and on top of the 27 hours of school hours)

Holiday time, it is 9am to 11:30am, and then 2pm to 6pm, 6 days a week.
This totals to a min of 40 hours of team training per week.

The above is "team" training time. Many times, there will be private training, which is around 1.5hr to 2hr over on top the daily schedule.

They really don't have much spare time, yet alone to be dating.
But they are your age though

That’s a lot of training! But they must either have less homework than I do, or they are geniuses, because 1 and a half hours for us is about half of how long it takes to do homework🥹

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
That’s a lot of training! But they must either have less homework than I do, or they are geniuses, because 1 and a half hours for us is about half of how long it takes to do homework🥹

Less homework indeed.
They also do try and finish it during the school hours.

However, many of them do end up with masters degrees, mostly in sport related degrees.
And for the ones ending to pursue coaching/training partner jobs (if they are not diguised by hearing the bounce of a table tennis ball), they actually end up earning way more than the equivalent degree employee (of course other than your top earning degrees/professionals). But with TT career, the career does become more challenging when you are older and many would need to change professions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Hey Coach Tony,

Suppose you have also a 40 y/o, 50 y/o & 60 y/o adult learner. How would you train these cohort?

Of course the speed/tempo of drills will be slowed down.

basic drills include:
1) FH wide, FH middle and repeat
2) FH middle, FH pivot and repeat
3) BH, FH pivot and repeat
4) 2 x FH, 2 x BH and repeat
5) FH wide, FH middle, BH and repeat

The whole ideal for me of multiball is the movement, not so much on hitting the ball in or the quality of hit.
Once the movement is there, then to worry about upper body action.