1 Game of Mine against college opponent

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Feel free to comment to watch for casual viewing. Here's a few games against a college player. He said his rating in college is 1580, so I enjoy the rhythm and pattern of our games. I think I tend to win most of the backhand-backhand rallies, and his style sort of plays into my comfort zone.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I don't like how vertical my backhand block is. It looks strange to me. But that's just naturally how my hand goes...

This user has no status.
I don't like how vertical my backhand block is. It looks strange to me. But that's just naturally how my hand goes...

So which one are you? I don't know about both of you anyway 😂

If you or your friend or anyone you know is visiting my country i invite you or them for play, nice game, so a lot to learn from that, thanks

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Why are you suspicious of that?

It is said that the sign of having mastered a foreign language is that one can understand humor and
recognize cynicism.
With other words: We are just having a larf , taking the mickey or making a joke.

Simple : If after the sentence we add 🤣🤣🤣 then we mean it is a joke.............you may laugh too

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Ok. Actually i thought I would be losing to him or trading games. But we've played about 15 sets to 4 games, and I won all 15 sets.

I won all of them 4-0 or 4-1. I wouldnt consider myself better than him, but I think his style plays into mine, because I like the chance to counterpunch against him. I like the way the ball comes off my racket against his loops.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It does not seem like he is thinking at all and does not seem to have any kind of strategy. His BH loop is pretty nice when it goes in but it is very inconsistent and since his placement is completely predictable, you are actively blocking it at him without much spin and over time the inconsistency keeps popping into the point.

The serves look pretty low level. It does not look like he is using his FH almost at all. When he does use it, it is completely obvious where it is going.

Have you looked at his tournament history and how he got that 1580 rating? If he has played in more than 20 tournaments, I would be a little surprised. To me it looks like he could have got that rating by playing in one U1800 tournament, losing every match and them just not having a way to rate him. If he is a legit 1580 then there must be a tricky style (like LP or SP) that he is good at playing against for some reason. It is hard to tell though.

It would be nice to see you play someone who you battle with where the match is somewhat even. This does not look remotely challenging to you and you are winning most points letting him open first and then actively blocking you use his initiative against him.

You are playing smart. He does not seem to bet thinking unless he is scared of your FH so he keeps aiming everything at the sweet spot for your BH without any real placement variation.

• Wow
Reactions: PingBirdPong
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Also, worthwhile stats for you if you are looking to improve:

In the first set your opponent opened up successfully 12 times. If I add the times he tried and failed, the number is higher. But the successful open ups were 12. Those were all the topspin rallies in the first set. You did not try once to open in the first set. You played passively and let him start.

In the second set you attempted 1 FH open up where you missed the ball. And then, on the last serve of the game, you punched a high dead ball serve. So, you actually opened successfully ONCE.

In the second set your opponent was successful at opening the topsin rally 11 times.

Through the first 2 sets, all but one of your opponent's open ups was on the BH side. Your opponent opened once with his FH. So, 22 BH open ups and 1 FH open up, in the first 2 sets; and of 24 offensive rallies, he opened on 23 of them; 23 of 24 is 96%.

In the 3rd set, he opens up 8 times, You open up with a FH Loop once and you punch another high dead ball once. So in this set, of 10 offensive rallies, you initiated 2.

In the 4th set you were a little more active. You opened on 1 FH and 1 BH and you tried on 1 more FH and 2 more BHs, but you tried, you became more offensive-minded and you succeeded 2x. This is important.

Your opponent opened successfully 8 times. So, of 10 topspin rallies in this set, he was responsible for 8 and you successfully opened on 2.

In the last set, you were even more active. You opened successfully 3 times with FH and 3 times with BH. 2 of the BHs were pretty nice loops. Your opponent opened 6 times successfully so, the last game was the first time where you each initiated 50% of the offensive rallies.

You may be winning, but he is working on the more valuable skill for improving in the sport for most of the match. Even if you can handle his topspin, he is doing the more active work a large percentage of the time.

But, when you do successfully initiate the topspin, it seems you do usually win. And your topspin open ups are good enough for you to work on opening much more frequently than you do.

Hopefully this is useful information for you.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
“Ask a pro player” was the tag used for this thread.
Just thought it was worth pointing out🤣

That is the sub-forum: "Ask a Pro".

I am not sure this qualifies. But, I also don't think it matters that it is in the ask a pro forum.

And MZ did say he welcomes feedback from anyone. So, it would be cool if a pro answers. :)

• Haha
Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Actually i have no idea why it went to ask a pro. I started thread on phone, so may have accidentally touched something.

Yes, in this recorded game, he played a lot faster than me. It was mostly him opening up first.

We played several more unrecorded sets after this where he played slower and i was opening up more than him, mostly with the backhand.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Actually i have no idea why it went to ask a pro. I started thread on phone, so may have accidentally touched something.

Yes, in this recorded game, he played a lot faster than me. It was mostly him opening up first.

We played several more unrecorded sets after this where he played slower and i was opening up more than him, mostly with the backhand.
[p/]

No matter how you slice it, it will be good for you to work on attacking as early in the rallies as you can. You could think of that as training; making a goal of trying to open up on serves, on the first push.....you could even see if you can play a set where you DO NOT PUSH ONCE....where you try to open up on every serve he gives and on every push. He does not have to know that you have made yourself a rule for that set or match that you will attack on every ball and that you won't push at all....it is a good training exercise with someone you are that much better than.

You should also think about making a certain number of attempts at trying to open with your FH on pushes that are to your BH side. You can do that. On short balls to your FH side, you could probably footwork to open over the table with your BH as well.

Especially when you are able to win such a large percentage of the points against your opponent, you should start working on things like that that force you to use footwork to position yourself for the opening. That will also really help how you move around the table. He is really not a challenge for you. So you may as well work on some more complex skills.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I like the atmosphere. It allows discussion and review after each stroke, which is very good for technique improvement.

For the reason of the result of the game, you have said it : he plays into your comfort zone.

I will suggest leave the result and the ball placement aside, focusing on the stroke and spin handling will improve the techniques.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
[p/]

No matter how you slice it, it will be good for you to work on attacking as early in the rallies as you can. You could think of that as training; making a goal of trying to open up on serves, on the first push.....you could even see if you can play a set where you DO NOT PUSH ONCE....where you try to open up on every serve he gives and on every push. He does not have to know that you have made yourself a rule for that set or match that you will attack on every ball and that you won't push at all....it is a good training exercise with someone you are that much better than.

You should also think about making a certain number of attempts at trying to open with your FH on pushes that are to your BH side. You can do that. On short balls to your FH side, you could probably footwork to open over the table with your BH as well.

Especially when you are able to win such a large percentage of the points against your opponent, you should start working on things like that that force you to use footwork to position yourself for the opening. That will also really help how you move around the table. He is really not a challenge for you. So you may as well work on some more complex skills.

Yep i will try to incorporate more techniques next session. I still think i missed plenty of blocks and hope to get that down.

Also he plays in the city wide round robin tournaments and he said he beat 1700 player. So i dont really consider myself better, but just stylistically i am winning more of the rallies.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I like the atmosphere. It allows discussion and review after each stroke, which is very good for technique improvement.

I agree with this statement but the review should be done by a competent coach or player.
This is why in this forum we have the special thread to post these videos called the VIDEO FOOTAGE SAFE THREAD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Also, worthwhile stats for you if you are looking to improve:

In the first set your opponent opened up successfully 12 times. If I add the times he tried and failed, the number is higher. But the successful open ups were 12. Those were all the topspin rallies in the first set. You did not try once to open in the first set. You played passively and let him start.

In the second set you attempted 1 FH open up where you missed the ball. And then, on the last serve of the game, you punched a high dead ball serve. So, you actually opened successfully ONCE.

In the second set your opponent was successful at opening the topsin rally 11 times.

Through the first 2 sets, all but one of your opponent's open ups was on the BH side. Your opponent opened once with his FH. So, 22 BH open ups and 1 FH open up, in the first 2 sets; and of 24 offensive rallies, he opened on 23 of them; 23 of 24 is 96%.

In the 3rd set, he opens up 8 times, You open up with a FH Loop once and you punch another high dead ball once. So in this set, of 10 offensive rallies, you initiated 2.

In the 4th set you were a little more active. You opened on 1 FH and 1 BH and you tried on 1 more FH and 2 more BHs, but you tried, you became more offensive-minded and you succeeded 2x. This is important.

Your opponent opened successfully 8 times. So, of 10 topspin rallies in this set, he was responsible for 8 and you successfully opened on 2.

In the last set, you were even more active. You opened successfully 3 times with FH and 3 times with BH. 2 of the BHs were pretty nice loops. Your opponent opened 6 times successfully so, the last game was the first time where you each initiated 50% of the offensive rallies.

You may be winning, but he is working on the more valuable skill for improving in the sport for most of the match. Even if you can handle his topspin, he is doing the more active work a large percentage of the time.

But, when you do successfully initiate the topspin, it seems you do usually win. And your topspin open ups are good enough for you to work on opening much more frequently than you do.

Hopefully this is useful information for you.

Thanks really appreciate these stats. Im impressed that you can identify a dead ball from so far away.

I am trying to open up more, but i feel rushed when he is playing so fast.

Actually were not trying to beat each other. After each set, we are coaching each other on where we think the other guy is losing. I told him he is playing too fast and trying to loop too early in the rally, resulting in misses. I also said he seems to be losing the bh to bh rallies because he isnt building the point enough. As you said, not thinking.

He said that he feels afraid to hit to my forehand, because he seems to not be able to return my fh loop.

This user has no status.

Thanks really appreciate these stats. Im impressed that you can identify a dead ball from so far away.

I am trying to open up more, but i feel rushed when he is playing so fast.

Actually were not trying to beat each other. After each set, we are coaching each other on where we think the other guy is losing. I told him he is playing too fast and trying to loop too early in the rally, resulting in misses. I also said he seems to be losing the bh to bh rallies because he isnt building the point enough. As you said, not thinking.

He said that he feels afraid to hit to my forehand, because he seems to not be able to return my fh loop.

Excuse me if I’m wrong, but you shouldn’t be “coaching” him in forehand or backhand if you never played actively with either. From the looks of it, he serves better, and more willingly tries to attack. If he simply sharpens his loops a little, he would be winning most of the points.