Tips for improving in table tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Always go for the low hang fruit. That is, what effort will give you the best reward and what you need to do the most.
1 Serves. Every rally starts with a serve and you serve half of them. Don't serve the same server twice in a row.
Has enough variation so that the opponent has a tough time adjusting to any one serve.
The good thing here is that you can practice serves by yourself.
2 Serve Returns. This is one of the hardest and frustrating parts of table tennis if your opponent has nasty serves.
3 WTF do I do when the ball comes back?. If you did #1 right the ball might not come back or if it does it should be easy to handle.
Your serve limits the opponents options. Did you serve with the idea of getting a certain return?
4 WTF do I do when the ball comes back? If you did #2 right the ball might not come back or of it does it should be easy to handle.
So much depends on #1 and #2. Screw those up and you will have a hard time getting to the 5 or 6th ball.
BTW, most rallies for beginners don't last that long. If you are good at third ball attacks then the rallies will not last that long but that is a good thing.
https://www.mattspoint.com/blog/rally-lengths-in-tennis-a-contrasting-perspective
Better players have longer rallies because they get past #1-6.

My first coach and I worked on 1-4 and how to win or survive them.

I see a lot of coaches spending a lot of time on multi-ball. That is OK as long as you get to the point where that can be applied.

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
You can always practice your serves and your third ball attack. One of the hardest things to get consistent with is third ball attack (if you're an attacking player)
Other than that, get some instructional videos and practice drills with your practice partner. If he/she improves then you will have to improve as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Fast reaction, good subtle observation, mobile feet, and body coordination. Those are for all categories of table tennis.

That's a good one, though hard to practice ;) However, yes, if you master these, you will take it to the next level ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I would say footwork. If you start to work real hard, constantly moving into the right position for every stroke, you'll be in good balance and will have the best possibility to return the ball in the best way possible. So always ready and work hard with bent knees, and you're half way there already.