Bengtsson Stellan (Sweden) - 70!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019

Bengtsson Stellan (Swede. Stellan Bengtsson; born. July 26, 1952, Falkenberg) - the famous Swedish table tennis player, left-hander. Former World and European Singles Champion. Stellan Bengtsson became the first Swedish player to win the World Table Tennis Singles title. The only Swedish table tennis player to become world and European champion in singles, doubles and team. Ex first racket of the world (1971). Seven-time Swedish champion in singles. The athlete represented the Swedish national team 213 times in various tournaments.

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
Always involved in Table Tennis 🏓 🙌
A great person and a great Coach 🇸🇪 👊
Untitled%203%20jpg.jpeg

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Why does he live in US now?
Taxes are lower in the US that in Sweden but the US is trying to find new ways to tax people.
Also, the market is bigger in the US.
The question I have is if Stellan became a US citizen.
Stellan use to travel and provide TT boot camps. One was at Salem OR which is about 70 miles from me. I visited one once. I am 69 now. I don't think I could last through 2 3 hour sessions.

Reactions: VictorMoraga
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
Taxes are lower in the US that in Sweden but the US is trying to find new ways to tax people.
Also, the market is bigger in the US.
The question I have is if Stellan became a US citizen.
Stellan use to travel and provide TT boot camps. One was at Salem OR which is about 70 miles from me. I visited one once. I am 69 now. I don't think I could last through 2 3 hour sessions.

By the way, we're heading to Oregon next week for a Table Tennis Camp with Stellan 🙌 🏓 🔥

Reactions: Tipiak
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Wouldn't he rather live in one of the TT powers and train more upcoming players? He could live and train players in Germany, France, or Sweden, etc.

It feels kind of a waste that he trains players in San Diego of all places. I don't think America is going to produce many future stars.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Wouldn't he rather live in one of the TT powers and train more upcoming players? He could live and train players in Germany, France, or Sweden, etc.

It feels kind of a waste that he trains players in San Diego of all places. I don't think America is going to produce many future stars.

Coaching is not about producing the next Waldner.
Coaching is very deep. It is just like being a teacher.
A good teacher doesn't need to be pushing out PHDs and MD etc.
Coaching/teaching is beyond materialistic accolades.

Not to mention, he is home in America and he is involved with his other home, involved with Truls too.

And don't under estimate America, they have over hundreds of full time training centres, whereby 20+ years ago, there was less than 10.
The amount of quality training there - in its own training centre is more in numbers compared to Germany (yes, many clubs share the hall with other sports/activities and don't have access 24/7 like those American's)

Boll had to push his tables away after training, at one stage in his life....and that was when he was already famous.

Last edited:
Reactions: pingpongpaddy
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Coaching is not about producing the next Waldner.
Coaching is very deep. It is just like being a teacher.
A good teacher doesn't need to be pushing out PHDs and MD etc.
Coaching/teaching is beyond materialistic accolades.

Not to mention, he is home in America and he is involved with his other home, involved with Truls too.

And don't under estimate America, they have over hundreds of full time training centres, whereby 20+ years ago, there was less than 10.
The amount of quality training there - in its own training centre is more in numbers compared to Germany (yes, many clubs share the hall with other sports/activities and don't have access 24/7 like those American's)

Boll had to push his tables away after training, at one stage in his life....and that was when he was already famous.

Michael,

I am gunna side with Tony on this one. He HAS an idea of what is going on in these huge training centers in USA where you have only heard or rad about it.

Even in USA, Stellan is SO TOALLY UNDER THE RADAR with his training center. He chose to live in an area that is not the most popular for TT (San Diego) and almost single handedly carved out a children after-school program of TT training employing multiple coaches and having SO MANY children apply for his program that he had to stop accepting new applicants due to constraints on training venue size and staff. This is NOT to mention all the trainng camps he has made to other cities... if you ask some 2000 level players who were "hot garbage" level before Stellan talked to them and now achieved top ten percent level since... you would know only a LITTLE of Stelllan's impact... and he likes it to be low key.