This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 216 1,561
    M
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,561 216

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews

How do you return high, spinny, slow opening loops?

Today, I missed so many returns against high, slow, spinny opening loops. This shot is really hard to return. What is the right way to return this shot?

Should you hit the ball off the bounce when the ball is low? Or should you wait for the ball to come up so you have more angle to work with?

Should you hit the ball lightly? Or should you hit it firmly?

Should the angle of stroke me more of a brushy stroke? Or more punchy stroke? Or should you snap through the ball?

says May the Spin be with you!

Senior TTD Member 548 863

Senior TTD Member 863 548
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zhuang
    Today, I missed so many returns against high, slow, spinny opening loops. This shot is really hard to return. What is the right way to return this shot?

Should you hit the ball off the bounce when the ball is low? Or should you wait for the ball to come up so you have more angle to work with?

Should the angle of stroke me more of a brushy stroke? Or more punchy stroke? Or should you snap through the ball?

This user has no status.

This user has been banned. 537 1,185
    B
    This user has no status.

This user has been banned. 1,185 537

User Info Menu

Today, I missed so many returns against high, slow, spinny opening loops. This shot is really hard to return.
    Why? You didn't say whether your returns tend to bounce high or low. Normally they will bounce high when return a top spin ball. A high ball should bounce high enough for a light of sight kill shot. The video mentioned the fast low loops. Those are more difficult.

I wait for the ball to reach its peak and kill it.

A brush stroke it not necessary when you have a line of sight kill shot.

However, a very good looper will put so much top spin on the ball that it will skip out fast and low after the bounce. These are harder to return. It takes practice. My first coach was a looper and we would warm up looping FH to FH with the goal of having the ball skip out low below the other person's paddle.

Senior TTD Member 548 863

Senior TTD Member 863 548
    Mike,

I too struggle against such ball.

Last week I was doing some short and soft pushes drill with a fellow club mate. The goal was simple, we have to push soft or really short as in to keep the ball inside the table to prevent each other from opening up.

After doing that for half an hour I went to play against other player as per usual and something magical happen. I was able to miraculously block softly these exact slow high arc high rotation topspin ball safely onto the table.

It was an AHA! moment revelation, i.e., soft hand is needed. It is counter-intuitive really, as my rational brain will think, if the ball is soft, then I must block it with gusto and adopt a stiff hand. However, it is on the contrary. Hence I am able to inform from my very own experience, to block back these type of balls, you must keep your bat-hand as relax and soft as possible. Don't exert undue force, just guide the ball back.

To counter-drive, I would assume the same principle applies.
    Last edited by Gozo; 07-28-2022 at 06:24 AM.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 1
    N
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 1

User Info Menu

Apr 2022
    United Arab Emirates
    Read 0 Reviews
    Yes, I agree entirely with this article, and I just want to say that this article is very helpful and enlightening. I also have some precious pieces of concerned info !!!!!! Thanks.

The Following User Likes nabeellateef's Post:

lodro

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 130 139
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 139 130

User Info Menu

For high, spinny balls it’s important to move your body weight forward. At the end of the stroke your center of gravity should be really forward. You start with weight on right foot and end the stroke with weight on the left foot leaning forward. That will help you with getting the ball down.

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 420 982
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 982 420

Hit them firmly with top spin.

Cheers
    L-zr
    Steal a little and they throw You in jail, Steal a lot and they make You King... (Dylan)

This user has no status.

TTD Member 36 59
    D
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 59 36
    I play that shot with soft hands and closed blade !!! With practice you can keep your return low !!!

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 3,022 4,572
    T
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 4,572 3,022

User Info Menu

Sep 2013
    South Africa
    Read 3 Reviews

maybe because you don't train those kind of balls in practice?

The Following 2 Users Like Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

Brs and NextLevel

TTT

says #ForTheLegacy

Administrator 4,332 6,823
    says #ForTheLegacy

Administrator 6,823 4,332

User Info Menu

Yeah this can be a tricky ball to return. I think many players tend to take this ball late and tense up. You want to try take the ball at the top of the bounce or slightly earlier with a block whilst keeping a relaxed grip. Alternately if it's coming up slow and high you can try and go for a counter topspin stroke.

If you have any videos of you playing, you could them here then we can see what's going on 💪

The Following User Likes Dan's Post:

NextLevel

says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)

Senior TTD Member 415 759
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)

Senior TTD Member 759 415
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Yeah this can be a tricky ball to return. I think many players tend to take this ball late and tense up. You want to try take the ball at the top of the bounce or slightly earlier with a block whilst keeping a relaxed grip. Alternately if it's coming up slow and high you can try and go for a counter topspin stroke.

If you have any videos of you playing, you could them here then we can see what's going on 💪
    Your counters in the Zoran Primorac video are perfect examples.

The Following User Likes PingBirdPong's Post:

Dan

Achieve your dreams, or die trying.

says #ForTheLegacy

Administrator 4,332 6,823
    says #ForTheLegacy

Administrator 6,823 4,332

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PingBirdPong
    Your counters in the Zoran Primorac video are perfect examples.

Haha I was on fire that day!

The Following User Likes Dan's Post:

PingBirdPong

says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 11,698 11,518
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 11,518 11,698

User Info Menu

The advice to get to the bounce of ball, cover it, and keep wrist loose is already given and proven.

If you are a meter from the bounce, you have option of a short stroke (or more difficult long stroke) to meet the ball hopfully at chest level.

There are three easy ways to neutralize the incoming heavy spin.

Short stroke in strike zone direct path to ball cover it a good deal with LOOSENING the grip to loose. That will eat the spin, then give back a slow to medium pace ball with some spin.

Short stroke direct path to ball impact ball a little on the side (same as hookshot impact) this impact point is spin avoidance... so when your short stroke hits the ball, it easily over-rides the topspin on the ball and depending on how fast your bat is going, you get medium to heavy topsin right back at them.

Other way is to use either impact point (behind/top of ball or side/top of ball) and FIRM the grip RIGHT AT IMPACT. This will also eat the spin and give a very strong rebound and spin. It is also very tricky at first to get this impact timing down and the timing of your firming... but once you get it, it is pretty simple to do.

The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

Dan

President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

says This user has NO status

TTD Member 19 36
    S
    says This user has NO status

TTD Member 36 19

User Info Menu

May 2022
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    off the bounce

says From RPB to SH

Advanced TTD Member 123 210
    L
    says From RPB to SH

Advanced TTD Member 210 123
    I suggest the last way that Der_Echte is saying.
    What is going happen will be:
    1, You have to eat the spin solidly. You don't eat it solidly, the ball will run away.
    2, The ball will be so spiny that it will be wildly trying to jump out of your control.
    3, You will want to use the weight of your upper body to cover the ball to stop it escaping.

It is just simple, no skill in there, a hard collision just like what you are doing when you are playing basket ball or football and someone is dashing onto you. When you get used to topspin then you can develop some skillful things against it, but before that stage you just eat the spin solidly and let your body do the thing without any skill.
    Last edited by Lycanthrope; 07-29-2022 at 04:48 AM.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 3,022 4,572
    T
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 4,572 3,022

User Info Menu

Sep 2013
    South Africa
    Read 3 Reviews
    I don't want to say on the bounce, off the bounce or what ever high / low point.

If you can read the spin, use the spin, generate your own spin, no matter what high or low point, you can still get the ball on.

off the bounce is for forward "drive", high point is for flat hit style, low point is for re topspin
    all 3 is fine

But if your own "spin" handling and generating capability is not there, no matter which of the 3 you use, you will have difficulties.
    TTT

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 49
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 49 2
    listening