Do rubbers really 'break in'?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
it never bloody stops, this time i got a different error message, the one that tells me that i had to wait 30 seconds between posts. So it the rewarded me by posting it twice. 😁

and again: [h3]The following errors occurred with your submission[/h3]
  • This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 14 seconds.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Instructions unclear, I broke the blade. Lost 300 dollars, received beating🤣

of course the rules say that you must have an alternative blade ready for such a case , like a broken the blade.
And of course you must have the reserve blade """completely broken in"""😂

Now a quick step back to the video where Timo boll shows how he is preparing his 5 (or 6) identical blades
and how he glues the rubbers on. It is not shown in the video but surely he will be spending the next
few days just """breaking in " his new rackets 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I go away for a few days and you guys are still talking non-sense.

Maybe you should do an experiment and prove it. Otherwise it's still just your opinion against the rest.
Test for what?
I asked for a definition. None has been provided.
What changes and how much?
When does the "breaking in" stop?
So many like to talk like they know something but get offended when I pin them down with questions they can't answer or then can't even define what they are talking about.
So what am I supposed to test for again?

Tony said:
Maybe brokenball can ask his coaches with his viewpoints to see what they say. Otherwise, all these "not true until scientifically proven" is just getting really boring.
i don't have a coach now. What makes you think a coach would know any more? You are a coach, you haven't defined what breaking in is either.
Can you or can't you? Let's have a definition. Something that can be measured.
If "breaking in" hasn't been measured before then what are you guys talking about?

This is the same BS as rubbers coming factory boosted. How long does "boosting" last? A couple days? How long has the rubber been sitting on the shelf? There is so much non-sense on all the TT forums.

People are very adaptable. I will make an exception for TT players and their belief in myths. It is like challenging their religion.

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Maybe you should do an experiment and prove it. Otherwise it's still just your opinion against the rest.
Test for what?
So many like to talk like they know something but get offended when I pin them down with questions they can't answer or then can't even define what they are talking about.
Tony said:
Maybe brokenball can ask his coaches with his viewpoints to see what they say. Otherwise, all these "not true until scientifically proven" is just getting really boring.
i don't have a coach now. What makes you think a coach would know any more? You are a coach, you haven't defined what breaking in is either.
If "breaking in" hasn't been measured before then what are you guys talking about?

This is the same BS as rubbers coming factory boosted. How long does "boosting" last? A couple days? How long has the rubber been sitting on the shelf? There is so much non-sense on all the TT forums.

People are very adaptable. I will make an exception for TT players and their belief in myths. It is like challenging their religion.

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Test for what?

This makes me real happy to see that others are also bitten by the double -post bug 😁

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Test for what?

This makes me real happy to see that others are also bitten by the double -post bug 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Test for what?

USATT rating??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Boostinnn? Naah, never heard of. Doesn't exist. Nobody does that. Certainly not the companies. It's totally immoral. Shrinkage? Whaa? Naah, come oon. Break-in? Ohh, come oon, wake up maaan. That's just riDYculous. H3? what? Just a rubber, come oon. No need for fancy names here, shall wee? And besides, just change the impuls a bit, you get aaal the same, eassyy peassyy.

Sorry Lazer, I had to. This expression about fancy names is going to be so famous on TTD soon. Peace.

Igor, BB, Lazer, I'm just kidding. I like the plurality of opinions, I mean, your opinions are sometimes annoying, but I like the civility and plurality here... Cheers. And I miss ZEIO!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Brokenball,

I'm on a viewpoint that a certain level of understanding of the sport requires a certain level of technical knowledge and experience (what field says otherwise?)
I think I asked you before, but didn't get a response.
what USATT rating are you?

This is an old trick. It is the old "I have a higher rating, so I know more than you"
BS!!!
I don't have a USATT rating. I never did. I didn't start playing again until I was 56 and I was using TT as therapy for recovering from an operation I had so play seriously was out of the question. I can ask a lot of questions that I know you can't answer.
You better check in with USDC before you go further. It will save you a lot of grief and embarrassment.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
This is an old trick. It is the old "I have a higher rating, so I know more than you"
BS!!!
I don't have a USATT rating. I never did. I didn't start playing again until I was 56 and I was using TT as therapy for recovering from an operation I had so play seriously was out of the question. I can ask a lot of questions that I know you can't answer.
You better check in with USDC before you go further. It will save you a lot of grief and embarrassment.

Agreed, They are often using this old trick as a kind of "self-defense".
But to us it more sounds a bit like :" Mine is bigger than yours" or with other words a bit of a wank 😂

• Love
Reactions: Lazer
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
BS!!!

But to us it more sounds a bit like :" Mine is bigger than yours" or with other words a bit of a wank 😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Boostinnn? Naah, never heard of. Doesn't exist. Nobody does that. Certainly not the companies. It's totally immoral. Shrinkage? Whaa? Naah, come oon. Break-in? Ohh, come oon, wake up maaan. That's just riDYculous. H3? what? Just a rubber, come oon. No need for fancy names here, shall wee? And besides, just change the impuls a bit, you get aaal the same, eassyy peassyy.

Sorry Lazer, I had to. This expression about fancy names is going to be so famous on TTD soon. Peace.

Igor, BB, Lazer, I'm just kidding. I like the plurality of opinions, I mean, your opinions are sometimes annoying, but I like the civility and plurality here... Cheers. And I miss ZEIO!

sad but true lol
because they can't understand it, so it doesn't exit and call it some myth that the rest of us worship...

while they don't break in, the side of the world I am, does.
OP can decide if he/she wants to follow the 0.001% or follw the 99.999%

NDH

says Spin to win!
oh btw,
Today I was with 2 of Lin Yun-Ju's practice partners.
They both also break in
i mean, what do they know, they only kids with very little experience

Playing devils advocate here - Just because high level people do it, especially if it’s something that has been “passed down through generations”, it does not mean it’s something that is relevant to today’s equipment/game.

I think people participating on both sides of the argument here need to accept that unless there is a scientifically proven study, or even a manufacturer recommendation (if you believe that anyway), it’s purely going to come down to personal experience and feeling.

As I’ve said previously, I’ve never noticed, and I’ve not been looking for it.

But I still wouldn’t put rubbers on before a match…. Just in case I do need to make any micro adjustments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

But I still wouldn’t put rubbers on before a match…. Just in case I do need to make any micro adjustments.

Well, for the ones that don't believe in breaking in, they seem to be fine in putting different rubbers on a different blade before a match. an example of that someone who thinks one only needs less than 5 mins with a different blade and different rubber and they good to go? give a pro 5 days, it still isn't enough......

Between the breaking in theory that you don't follow, versus this 5 mins to adapt to new equipment theory, which one do you want to write off as a myth?

I can understand where many people may not choose to break in (and to be honest, it makes no difference to many), just like many people on this forum does not have the clone setup x 3 or 4 as in someone who is serious about equipment and high performance would have.
I mean, those who are serious follow an equipment schedule - it is all carefully planned out for - when to do what, when to change, when to glue, how long to air out, when to travel, including how to glue for different climates. Its very technical that most forum members won't even been bothered about, because that 0.1% means nothing to them.

But to say break in doesn't exist, and 5 mins is enough to use different setups (because the player is good enough), in my mind, is completing wrong information, and should be mentioned out loud.
I mean, using different setup to have some practice rallies, versus peak performance is two different categories, you can't take one to represent the other.

and your comment on today's equipment part,
I have manufactures telling me the rubber will perform better after couple of hours of play. aka breaking in.
This conversation was with around 3 of my suppliers, all inside the past 5 years.
So in my circle, I honestly don't believe we have low iq that just follow traditions.
Why they don't market it (even though some may still choose not to believe), I don't know. Maybe just like they can't say what is the life span of the rubber, as everyone is too different?

Very important is player feedback in any equipment development, this is something science and computers can't tell you today.
My extended circle includes equipment development by player feedback, to even the likes of Butterfly (sponsored players where Butterfly will develop very personalized gears....)
So to me, player's feedback (and the ability for them to give such micro feedback) does exist.

You are right, its all about personal preference - the player will know his/her equipment and how to prep it for the best performance. Many won't or can't really be in the position as pros, not because of level, but it may be too expensive for you to glue 100 sheets of rubbers a year to get your own data/experience.
My close circle (boys), are easily 50 sheets a year.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Textbook TTD thread. BB as a hardcore scientist wants everything clearly defined. Sorry to say this BB, but you will never be satisfied, no one will live up to your expectations and criteria. But the arguing is about semantics imo.

I think it's a pretty big difference playing with a fresh set of rubbers for around the first few weeks. And less of a difference between say month 1 and month 2. Isn't it just that most players that I know, including myself feel a big difference with a fresh sheet usually between the first session and the second session or a few after that. Could it be because we're used to a more worn rubber? I don't know. But when we've pounding the ball with big FHs for a few sessions there is bound to be some small structural changes (wear) to the topsheet and sponge and maybe that impact is larger when they're totally new. I don't see how it's different from degradation, looking at it like this.
Again, this is just anecdotal experience from myself and many other players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020

Hmmm, we do tend to judge other person's motives. But in my experience, presupposing bad, also turns bad, back on me. So I advice against it, if I may. And I don't think Tony needs any kind of "self-defense" here. I don't mind such question at all. It should be treated as a question like how old are you. Also I don't mind if people like NDH occasionally say they are essentially national level players. Absolutely zero wrong on that, imo. I'm sure you can see the situation, Tony lives intensive life, and here comes someone with this "director attitude", it can trigger one a bit, don't you think?

Anyway, I just want to reiterate. I'd love to hit with ANYONE of you. If you visit CR, especially Morava, let me know.

• Love
Reactions: Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Textbook TTD thread. BB as a hardcore scientist wants everything clearly defined. Sorry to say this BB, but you will never be satisfied, no one will live up to your expectations and criteria. But the arguing is about semantics imo.

I think it's a pretty big difference playing with a fresh set of rubbers for around the first few weeks. And less of a difference between say month 1 and month 2. Isn't it just that most players that I know, including myself feel a big difference with a fresh sheet usually between the first session and the second session or a few after that. Could it be because we're used to a more worn rubber? I don't know. But when we've pounding the ball with big FHs for a few sessions there is bound to be some small structural changes (wear) to the topsheet and sponge and maybe that impact is larger when they're totally new. I don't see how it's different from degradation, looking at it like this.
Again, this is just anecdotal experience from myself and many other players.

I would like to also comment on shoes.
I know many players that don't like new shoes. Its too much grip (on proper rubber flooring)
They prefer it to be worn off a little, say 3 to 5 days of proper training, then it is more comfortable.

I don't know any science behind it, maybe beyond the shoe that adapts to fit, or how much 5 days (30 hours) of high level training would alter. I really don't know, but that just them. Quality of shoes today is better than my days though.

Also, they also won't wear TT shoe for running. Western world, they mostly run with the same shoe they train with.
Footwork drills, we will still use TT shoe, but running, will use running shoes (or trainers as some call them)

I don't think much people is interested in shoes, so didn't bother comment, until now

Reactions: Richie