What's considered heavy for a racket?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I was playing with a pair of rubber on a 88g blade, and the overall racket blade felt just right. Not too heavy, and not too light.

Today I switched the same 2 rubbers to a 93g blade (V14 Pro) and the total weight is now 199g. I didn't weigh my original setup, but it must have weighed 194g.

5g doesn't sound like so much, but the new blade feels tremendously heavier. What is considered heavy or too heavy for a racket? If its only 5g difference, why would it feel so much heavier??

Last edited:
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
107%20jpeg.jpeg

225%20jpeg.jpeg

I like em heavy.

NB: I wanted to play lawn tennis minus the running around.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Ok something is really weird. I took the 2 rubbers off and put it back onto the 88g blade, but now the total racket weight is 189g.

But on the 93g blade, the total weight is 199g. This doesn't make sense. Am I missing something?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. Very personal. Everyone is different. I like blades on the heavier side. My blade is 93 grams and the rubbers on it are not light. I think the last time I weighed it, it was 203 grams total. So not as far over the top as Gozo's blade.

But the weight balance also does really matter. One time Der_Echte handed me a blade that was 125 grams, but it was handle heavy and had something like 35 grams added to the handle and that blade did not feel anywhere near as heavy as the numbers said it was.

Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Yeah. Very personal. Everyone is different. I like blades on the heavier side. My blade is 93 grams and the rubbers on it are not light. I think the last time I weighed it, it was 203 grams total. So not as far over the top as Gozo's blade.

But the weight balance also does really matter. One time Der_Echte handed me a blade that was 125 grams, but it was handle heavy and had something like 35 grams added to the handle and that blade did not feel anywhere near as heavy as the numbers said it was.

I agree with Carl and Lazer.
The weight distribution is much more important then the actual measurable weight in grams

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
The v14 Pro is 93g, but it has a thick handle and a slightly short head. So I think it is slightly handle heavy head light. But when you hold it and swing it, it feels very heavy.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The v14 Pro is 93g, but it has a thick handle and a slightly short head. So I think it is slightly handle heavy head light. But when you hold it and swing it, it feels very heavy.
Usually, handle heavy feels lighter than it is.

But how you tell if a blade is handle heavy or head heavy is to balance the blade face on your finger. With a head heavy blade, the blade will balance with your finger closer to the center of the blade face. With a handle heavy blade, the blade will balance with your finger closer to the handle of the blade. Looks can be deceiving. You could also use a straight edge like the edge of a ruler on which to balance the blade. But your index finger will give you a good enough idea.

Mar 2021
My custom made daily use blades are 115 grams each... move on... nothing to see here.

Were you also thinking the same thoughts as I am? I.e., wanting to play lawn tennis minus the running and inclemental weather?

BTW, come on show us some skin...

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Gozo,

You gunna need to come to NYC for Goon Squad Adventure #13 happening sometime this fall to see that live... you need to see that kinda stuff with your own eyes. What will be even more amazing is that when you see me in real life, you will see a human almost small bear sized move to his wide FH like there is no tomorrow. That will surprise you more than my guns (biceps) that are not really impressive enough to win over the women... I make power shots from timing and a nice use of a short hip.

Thinking about that... I think THAT might surprise you even more... that I will make power shot WITHOUT the standard huge backswing and leverage my body.

You will not need to bring your scale, I always have one handy... but if you are not convinced of the blades weight, ask the makers - Nate4S and more recently Hipnotic.

Here is the thread he made on my blade... I called it the Spartan XD... Hipnotic called it the Mandalorian... I eventually called it that.

Der_Echte's SDC Spartan XD (tabletennisdaily.com)

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

That will surprise you more than my guns (biceps) that are not really impressive enough to win over the women...

It never was the size of the biceps that won over women ......😂

As for blade weight, I think if I need both hands to lift the blade off the table it is too heavy.