I just ordered from tabletennis11.com. What a pain!

This user has no status.
Yeah right, a website that's working for 5-8 years without updates, I'd love to know which one that is 😂 Do you even know that a lot of the protocols from 8 years ago won't even work on present day browsers?

Most companies that have their own website will have at least monthly if not weekly updates/maintenance done to the backend servers, you really think just because you can't see things changing on the webpage there's no updates going on behind the scene? Btw, this is the first time I've ever heard that someone don't like their credit card info stored in a secure location, if you don't care about that why not just share that info with the all of us then, I bet lots of people would like to have that.

Btw, it seems like you have completely no idea what "security" means for the internet, you should probably do some research on that before commenting. And it's not me who's claiming the internet is rapidly changing, it's a fact. But if you want to believe that the internet stays the same for multiple years, then believe all you want, I'll just let the fact speak for itself, no point arguing with someone living under a rock.

Also, the OP didn't "ask" about an issue, he's "ranting" about an issue and ranting towards the wrong party.

Whatever, thanks for explaining, good for you and all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Yeah right, a website that's working for 5-8 years without updates, I'd love to know which one that is 😂 Do you even know that a lot of the protocols from 8 years ago won't even work on present day browsers?
You are pretty cocky spitting half-truths around even though you do not much about the topic yourself. At least that is what it seems to me.
First off, most protocols being used 8 years ago are still supported by todays browsers. Even though most browsers today might support HTTP 2.0, they also still support the HTTP 1.1 standard that stems from 2014. There are things that don't work anymore, but these are not protocols, but rather cipher suites that are deemed to be unsecure by todays standards. So if you want to "act" as if you know your stuff and are better informed, then you'd rather want to get your terminoligy right

Most companies that have their own website will have at least monthly if not weekly updates/maintenance done to the backend servers, you really think just because you can't see things changing on the webpage there's no updates going on behind the scene? Btw, this is the first time I've ever heard that someone don't like their credit card info stored in a secure location, if you don't care about that why not just share that info with the all of us then, I bet lots of people would like to have that.

You are mixing up things up here. Are you actually a proper IT professional or somebody that only works for little mom & dad shops that build their first website with wordpress ?

A Webpage is not an eCommerce System and that is what we are talking about here. Yes, this will rely on backend servers, but that is NOT an update on the "Webpage".
In the end you are complaining about something that will not be changed and is outside of TT11's control. It is also outside of the control of the payment provider used by TT11, since they all have to follow something that is called the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Card_Industry_Data_Security_Standard). There were several deadlines in the last 4 years that somehow took most companies by "surprise" and then everybody tried to somehow fullfil the requirements of the standards (most often haphazardly).
If a company like tabletennis11 decides to go with a specific payment provider, they will negotiate conditions and processes for quite some time.
No sane company would then decide to basically switch the payment provider just because one or two customers are not able to properly execute the Multi-Factor-Authentication process that was put in place because of a regulation that the payment provider itself has no influence on.

Btw, it seems like you have completely no idea what "security" means for the internet, you should probably do some research on that before commenting. And it's not me who's claiming the internet is rapidly changing, it's a fact. But if you want to believe that the internet stays the same for multiple years, then believe all you want, I'll just let the fact speak for itself, no point arguing with someone living under a rock.

Also, the OP didn't "ask" about an issue, he's "ranting" about an issue and ranting towards the wrong party.

If you are so picky about correct wording, one would have wished that you were using the right terminology yourself when correcting others ;)

Where i know this from ? I am working as a senior platform engineer for an international eCommerce (Fortune 500) Company that you or your family (if you are living in the U.S, UK, Germany, Italy or Japan) probably already ordered from. I know the issues and painpoints regarding having to fullfill requirements of regulations that were written by people that probably don't know much about I.T. and eCommerce in itself.

The implementation process of payment providers is often followed by a meeting like this video depicts:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

You are pretty cocky spitting half-truths around even though you do not much about the topic yourself. At least that is what it seems to me.
First off, most protocols being used 8 years ago are still supported by todays browsers. Even though most browsers today might support HTTP 2.0, they also still support the HTTP 1.1 standard that stems from 2014. There are things that don't work anymore, but these are not protocols, but rather cipher suites that are deemed to be unsecure by todays standards. So if you want to "act" as if you know your stuff and are better informed, then you'd rather want to get your terminoligy right

You are mixing up things up here. Are you actually a proper IT professional or somebody that only works for little mom & dad shops that build their first website with wordpress?

Ok, finally someone knows this stuff comes around. First off, you need to remember who I was talking to before, "know your audience", that's the difference between a good communicator and a bad one. I needed to prove a point, so I needed something that's big enough that someone has close to know understanding of the subject knows it's big, so they know it's important, but not so big that they have completely no idea what it is. Also, I'm not wrong saying protocols from 8 years ago, since 8 years ago means anything before 2014 as of today, so things like TLS 1.0 is also included. But I guess if you have to be super strict on the wording, then "standards" is the best terminology. But that's the problem, "standards" sounds well, standard. And like I said just now, I know who I was talking to, I needed something better than standard.

A Webpage is not an eCommerce System and that is what we are talking about here. Yes, this will rely on backend servers, but that is NOT an update on the "Webpage".
In the end you are complaining about something that will not be changed and is outside of TT11's control. It is also outside of the control of the payment provider used by TT11, since they all have to follow something that is called the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Card_Industry_Data_Security_Standard). There were several deadlines in the last 4 years that somehow took most companies by "surprise" and then everybody tried to somehow fullfil the requirements of the standards (most often haphazardly).
If a company like tabletennis11 decides to go with a specific payment provider, they will negotiate conditions and processes for quite some time.
No sane company would then decide to basically switch the payment provider just because one or two customers are not able to properly execute the Multi-Factor-Authentication process that was put in place because of a regulation that the payment provider itself has no influence on.

I'm sorry, but webpage is not what we're talking about here, not even the website. We were talking about the secure transaction system between the store, and the bank or some other form of financial institution they use. And then TareqPhoto mentioned he doesn't want any company's website to change if everything is still working for years. But that's the problem, a website won't work for years without change or maintenance on the backend. And by backend I mean the servers actually running the website, that includes the operating system, server software and its dependencies. They all need regular bug fixes, and security patches to be able to run things properly and support newer features the client requests over the years. And let's not forget about hardware also needs replacing, and upgrading as well. That's what we are talking about now. Also, websites also needs their own front end updates as well, for example the way people use JavaScript has change so much over the past few years because of Node.js.

If you are so picky about correct wording, one would have wished that you were using the right terminology yourself when correcting others ;)

Where i know this from ? I am working as a senior platform engineer for an international eCommerce (Fortune 500) Company that you or your family (if you are living in the U.S, UK, Germany, Italy or Japan) probably already ordered from. I know the issues and painpoints regarding having to fullfill requirements of regulations that were written by people that probably don't know much about I.T. and eCommerce in itself.

Look who is cooky now, hmm? I'm a senior software dev engineer for a Fortune 500 tech company, and I'm also an Apache committer. The area I work on is precisely backend server stuff, I deal with network protocols and standards on a daily basis, things like TLS 1.3 feature integration, and lately QUIC. I also work on Linux kernel stuff, and memory allocators, things you probably don't work on as a eCommerce platform engineer, so please don't act as if you know everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: jk1980
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Is anybody on this forum higher then senior platform engineer and senior software dev engineer?

haha
okay, please lets make peace now, before you guys start talking 1s and 0s 🤣

At least we can conclude that TT11 is really in a tough situation here to help sort out one customer. And in all fairness to them, got nothing to do with them from a business front.

This 1 customer - might have better luck by changing his bank (use another credit card), by the look of things.
and of course, there are tons of other sellers, and its a free world. One might be problematic for you, then try others. I'm sure TT11 won't mind, as it is not something they can fix (unless they buy a bank and call the shots there too)