How do pro players take note of strategies or opponent's analysis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
I would start by observing the basic strengths of the player eg where they like to attack from. Are they strong on the FH or BH underspin balls? Can they make good flick/flip returns against short FH and BH serves? Are they more FH or BH dominant player? Do they prefer to spin or do they flat hit more? Do they serve more long or short serves?

It also depends and varies a lot on the level you're playing at too. High level strategies with higher execution level may not be as applicable as a lower level "easier to execute strategy" with greater consistency.

Some things like tricky serves are hard to see without actually being on the receiving end too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I'm starting with the local tournament this September and would like to start taking notes from now on.
Still don't know if there is a template for efficiency in note taking or such. What would you put into your notes? Show me your notes please!!

hi dean
I started doing that 50 years ago, before computers!. I had a bunch of cards held together with an elastic band which became an index of all my opponents in the league in which i was playing and also some tournament opponents. One side of the card held the player name and notes about his game and proposed tactics against him.
the other side was divided into 2 lists in pencil:-
What I did
Did i miss my serve?
how many times?
Did i miss service return
How many times?
where did i place my serve or return?
was it successful?
when i did a short serve did it bounce twice
what he did
Opponent list was similar

After the match I would use the info to make a short paragraph in a diary so I could direct my practice
the next time i played the guy I would erase the list answers and do it all over again
I did this for about 10 years when i started I was a noobie to match play so it was a way to have accurate info on my basic mistakes. As i learned tactics i made notes about that too, getting info from talking to my club mates over tea after a match. I was always a member of quite a strong club so talking to my betters
was a big help.
If you have a computer or phone you can make notes much easier and even film yr match if you want. I still think you should come come away each time with maybe 5 must fix mistakes and 5 must build on successes or advice given by opponents or club mates

good luck

Reactions: Choosikick