Miwa Harimoto

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Miwa Harimoto. The new and uprising sensation in the TT world. I am impressed with her winning performance. How would you describe her play-style?

A. It is unique to her and her only. She may start a new trend. Others may follow.

B. Her style is typical of Japanese Women TT professionals. After all Hina Hayata, Miu Hirano & Miwa Harimoto came from the same coaching staff.

C. Her style is typical of modern Asian TT that includes the Chinese, Chinese-Taipei, Hong Kong, Korean that emphasize speedy counter-topspin near the table.

D. Her style is the result of modern TT evolution due to the bigger plastic ball. Her style is not unique but is seen in the European, Latin & North American Women professional players as well.

Which statement best describe Ms Harimoto's playing style? If you think there are better description of her playing style, please add for discussion.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019

Harimoto Miwa (simplified Chinese: 張本 美和, japan はりもと みわ, born June 16, 2008) - Japanese athlete, table tennis player. In 2021, she became the absolute champion of the World Youth Table Tennis Championships-2021 among cadets, having won all 4 categories (women's singles, team and doubles and mixed doubles). Also in 2019, she was the bronze medalist of the 2019 Asian Youth Championship in the team category among cadets. Beginning in 2018, she signed a contract with and is a member of the team of the professional Japanese T-League - Kinoshita Abyell, Kanagawa.

Mar 2021
well, firstly, Hayata, Hirano and Harimoto all have different coaches so let me first highlight that B is not true.

I choose E
her style is a typical Japanese modern womens TT style
Hey Coach,

Can you describe what makes a style truly typical of Japanese Woman style? Are you able to give a generic description of it?

As you do coach a women's team, do you teach this style? Why & why not?

I know it is a mouthful really and if it is not too troublesome, I would love to hear from a professional coach's perspective / thoughts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I think Miwa plays more like Chinese players like Chen Meng or Li Xiaoxia.

recently the Women's game was dominated by BH to BH exchanges. but Miwa is very good at BH, ofc, but she's trying very quickly to get into FH loop + FH oriented rallys. she plays a very agressive style, similar to men I thnk.

Reactions: tackyfh
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Yes I've always thought that Miwa plays more similar to Chinese style. Li Xiaoxia is a good comparison, although Miwa doesn't have the same physical presence. It makes sense because her main coach has been a Chinese former player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Yeah I like her play style a lot more than her brother's. Her brother's style seems very immature, like he's still playing with the strategies he used when he was 11.

Miwa has a more mature, more positive style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Miwa is a typical Asian style, close to the table attack.
Very consistence on BH, and dares to open up on FH, including pivot. Her FH is very strong.
10~20 years ago, we would call this the male version of women's TT, but that is no longer the case now, as FH play in BH corner is very common.

Miwa is not unique to have chinese coaches, the entire Japanese women team top players all have chinese coaches.
training partners are all in Chinese
heck, when they speak, it is all in Chinese too.

But then, I don't want it to think Japan is copying China, but rather, those coaching staff are also coming up with new things, new to Chinese TT too.
This is why the likes of Ito and Hirano has success over Chinese players.
Miwa is just a better perspective, as Ito and Hirano doesn't really have the physical buildup like Miwa has.
Ito had to make up her height with speed and that is VERY demanding and thus inconsistent over a long period of time.

I would say, Miwa is indeed a better package. But will she grow too tall and not adapt well, is another possibility to be seen.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yeah I like her play style a lot more than her brother's. Her brother's style seems very immature, like he's still playing with the strategies he used when he was 11.

Miwa has a more mature, more positive style.

I disagree on the strategy.
His game has changed a lot, unless you calling his screaming and sad face the "strategy".

He needs to be more calm and adapt when required. His face tells it all.
11 points is too fast, and when he is on the other side of his screaming scale, he is struggling to hype out and play just normal table tennis.

History never really had such a noisy character, so it was always interesting to see how much Harimoto can continue with his hype and actually be more calm or balance and then hype out when necessary. Its too difficult to remain on high pitch, every ball

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Mar 2021
When Miwa grows up, she can copy Hayata play-style... or maybe not. I think she may surpass Hayata. Miwa is more well-built than Hayata who is more of a lanky physique. She may be something that the TT world has not seen before, i.e., Powerfully built physique playing Asian style of TT. Watch this space people.

On to her brother, Tomokazu, I once saw Tomokazu and Franziska walking together in a youtube vidoe and I am surprise that Tomokazu is as tall as Franziska. Maybe, just maybe, Tomokazu starts to train with a European coach.... just sayin'. 🤣

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Some Japanese women athletes succeeded in the past such as Hirano and Ito. But they were merely a flash in a pan because the CNT studied them meticulously. What makes an athlete champion is that they must evolve over time. Unfortunately Hirano and Ito had not evolved enough to beat that CNT.

I sincerely hope the Japanese coaching team will help Miwa to perfect and evolve her techniques fast enough so she will take a few gold medals from the CNT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Some Japanese women athletes succeeded in the past such as Hirano and Ito. But they were merely a flash in a pan because the CNT studied them meticulously. What makes an athlete champion is that they must evolve over time. Unfortunately Hirano and Ito had not evolved enough to beat that CNT.

I sincerely hope the Japanese coaching team will help Miwa to perfect and evolve her techniques fast enough so she will take a few gold medals from the CNT.

I think both Ito and Hirano was also too small in size
many times points won against them was they couldn't reach those far balls compared to the taller Chinese women.
Ito was very fast with her footwork, but was not a threat for 11 points all the time

Mar 2021
During my last coaching session I spoke to my coach about the phenomenal success of Miwa.

I asked him is there something special about Miwa?

He said, training wise is the same. It is the modern style. All current players ( esp youngster ) train in this style, from Africa to Asia to Europe.

Whether this is true or not, I let those more in the know to comment, if they wish to.

I am only retelling what I heard.

NB: This style is now the de-rigeur. Rapid BH to BH exchange, then fast FH counter-drive or hit with accurate placement. Spin is not so important, it is speed and placement and able to rally. Something like that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

I think both Ito and Hirano was also too small in size
many times points won against them was they couldn't reach those far balls compared to the taller Chinese women.
Ito was very fast with her footwork, but was not a threat for 11 points all the time

The recent success of Wang Manyu indicates that mid distance rally is a key in women’s game. It favours taller players. Let’s see if Miwa can grow tall enough in the next few years.