Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 132 1,159
    T
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,159 132

Old balls 40mm?

Hi all,

Is the old balls [celluloid] 40mm still in production or available?

I want to buy bulk for the robot, the robot sounds only performing good with old balls 40mm, and i have 40+, so if any knows where to buy those old balls white say minimum 100 then i appreciate it.

Another idea, to buy another robot but very cheap, and very cheap i mean less than $250, and it accepts 40+ just fine without issues.

says TT-CLOWN, old git

Master TTD Member 529 1,500
    L
    says TT-CLOWN, old git

Master TTD Member 1,500 529

User Info Menu

Aliexpress

The Following User Likes lodro's Post:

OldUser

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 70 247
    O
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 247 70

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews
    Exactly what I said to Tony...

Man, don't buy on Aliexpress, that's where some people buy their H3 sheets and complain about the bullshit they've received.

This Tibhar store is actually run by Vladimir Samsonov, you can't trust a store more than this.
    Being in the UAE I guess you can get stuff from reliable stores in Europe, it's 254 € so maybe not enough cheap to you, plus shipping costs of course to consider https://tibhar-tt.com/en/home/robot-...robopro-junior

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 70 247
    O
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 247 70

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 3,022 4,572
    T
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 4,572 3,022

User Info Menu

Sep 2013
    South Africa
    Read 3 Reviews
    If you found any, then buy a lot
    The major manufacturers don't make them any more.

There are still stock circulating in the reseller space, and that is about it.

The Following User Likes Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

OldUser

TTT

This user has no status.

T
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by lodro
    Aliexpress

I will try harder there then 😂

The Following User Likes TareqPhoto's Post:

lodro

This user has no status.

T
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by OldUser

Man, don't buy on Aliexpress, that's where some people buy their H3 sheets and complain about the bullshit they've received.

This Tibhar store is actually run by Vladimir Samsonov, you can't trust a store more than this.
    Being in the UAE I guess you can get stuff from reliable stores in Europe, it's 254 € so maybe not enough cheap to you, plus shipping costs of course to consider https://tibhar-tt.com/en/home/robot-...robopro-junior

Too much for me

This user has no status.

T
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    If you found any, then buy a lot
    The major manufacturers don't make them any more.

There are still stock circulating in the reseller space, and that is about it.

The question is, is it worthy anyway? I might better save a bit and buy a good robot that can be fine with new balls and then never worry, i bought another robot cheap Chinese one with two heads, i didn't test or use it yet, that could be an answer for me who knows, but i feel that it is so cheap that it won't last much longer for me, so i will keep rely on another robot because it is more well known and surprisingly it did last until now, just performance reduced more.

says TT-CLOWN, old git

L
    says TT-CLOWN, old git

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto
    Hi all,

Is the old balls [celluloid] 40mm still in production or available?

I want to buy bulk for the robot, the robot sounds only performing good with old balls 40mm, and i have 40+, so if any knows where to buy those old balls white say minimum 100 then i appreciate it.

Another idea, to buy another robot but very cheap, and very cheap i mean less than $250, and it accepts 40+ just fine without issues.
    Why does the robot not like the 40+ ???????
    I am interested because the diameter is exactly the same , 40mm only one has the material as celluloid and the new ones some other plastic ?????

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 425 988
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 988 425
    No it has not the + means that diameter is slightly bigger by a tiny fraction.

Cheers
    L-zr

The Following User Likes Lazer's Post:

SamTheMan

Steal a little and they throw You in jail, Steal a lot and they make You King... (Dylan)

says TT-CLOWN, old git

L
    says TT-CLOWN, old git

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldUser

Some people use hearsay to form an opinion .

All DHS rubbers, incl H3s have a sticker with a scratchy part and the number code can be
    used to check for authenticity of the products.

The other little trick is to buy from sellers that have been recommended by someone who had good experiences with a shop.
    Another trick is to make sure to buy from a shop that has a very high number of positive feed backs

This , for example is no good :

AliExpress[h3]Fuloophii Consumer Electronical Product Store[/h3]66.7% Positive feedback

This is much better:AliExpress[h3]XVT Table Tennis[/h3]97.2% Positive feedbacks

Another good way is to check how many units of the product you require have already been sold by the seller.
    It is smart to buy from a seller that has a high selling rate.

Of course, if you look for the seller who has the cheapest price and think you can get a bargain , like
    DHS H3 National for 45 bucks 😂 you got it coming .

says TT-CLOWN, old git

L
    says TT-CLOWN, old git

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer
    No it has not the + means that diameter is slightly bigger by a tiny fraction.

Cheers
    L-zr

Thanks mate, we live and learn 😁

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

It shouldn’t have to be like this, it must have something to do with old casting forms or whatever and new material. But this is the way it is.

Cheers
    L-zr
    Steal a little and they throw You in jail, Steal a lot and they make You King... (Dylan)

This user has no status.

This user has been banned. 537 1,185
    B
    This user has no status.

This user has been banned. 1,185 537

User Info Menu

The plastic balls are made using a process called roto molding. The plastic is put into a mold and then it is rotated in a gimbal type of machine that rotates the mold and 2 or possibly 3 axes in an attempt to have the plastic cover the inside of the mold evenly. This is the trick. The molds could have been made any size but for some reason the manufacturers made the molds just a little bit bigger than 40mm. I don't know why.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotational_molding

The Following User Likes brokenball's Post:

TareqPhoto

says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)

Senior TTD Member 415 759
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)

Senior TTD Member 759 415
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenball
    The plastic balls are made using a process called roto molding. The plastic is put into a mold and then it is rotated in a gimbal type of machine that rotates the mold and 2 or possibly 3 axes in an attempt to have the plastic cover the inside of the mold evenly. This is the trick. The molds could have been made any size but for some reason the manufacturers made the molds just a little bit bigger than 40mm. I don't know why.
    Genuine question: Where does the seam form in this process? Why would the manufacturer add a seam if they can make it without one? Thanks

The Following User Likes PingBirdPong's Post:

lodro

Achieve your dreams, or die trying.

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenball
    Didn’t know about the process, thanks for the info.

CheersL-zr

says TT-CLOWN, old git

L
    says TT-CLOWN, old git

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PingBirdPong
    Genuine question: Where does the seam form in this process? Why would the manufacturer add a seam if they can make it without one? Thanks

Indeed !
    I remember seeing a video that showed balls being made by or for DHS.
    The manufacturing process was definitely NOT rotomolding. The balls were made in two halves and
    then "fused " together, hence the seems.

This user has no status.

This user has been banned. 537 1,185
    B
    This user has no status.

This user has been banned. 1,185 537

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PingBirdPong
    There are some plastic balls that have a seam but there shouldn't be a seam with roto molded balls unless the two halves of the mold don't fit together perfectly. None of the plastic balls I have, have seams.

More info.

My company makes controllers that control how the molds are rotated for making kayaks and similar. There are two halves of the mold. The plastic is put inside and heated so it flows evenly as the mold spins around. Then the mold is cooled quickly with water so the plastic doesn't drip and distort the shape.
    https://www.rotomolding.com/rotomold...g-process.html

Some things don't need to be precise but obviously if the plastic isn't distributed evenly around the inside of the mold, the ball will wobble. Years ago the qualify wasn't as good as it is now. Pathfinderpro did testing almost right. One of the test was for :roundness. Actually, the balls should be round because they come out of a spherical mold. However, the balls will veer if the plastic is not uniformly distributed around the outer shell of the ball.

More info on how to do testing., .

i

I wish I had better contact with pathfinderpro back then. I could have given more helpful hits. To drop a ball without spin it should be held up with a vacuum and then the vacuum released. It takes a lot of effort to do what he did.

The Following User Likes brokenball's Post:

PingBirdPong

says TT-CLOWN, old git

L
    says TT-CLOWN, old git

User Info Menu

I just checked with a torch. I got 5 different brands of 3 stars 40+ balls and they all have seems.
    Of course mine are all cheap balls that I use with the robot

This user has no status.

T
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by lodro
    Why does the robot not like the 40+ ???????
    I am interested because the diameter is exactly the same , 40mm only one has the material as celluloid and the new ones some other plastic ?????

Tell that to the robot, i bought it not knowing this, but the robot can take 40+ but it gets jam a lot and sometimes stop until i move the ball manually, so with 40+ if i fill the robot say with only 50 balls i get jam every like 4-6 balls, lucky if it get jam at more balls numbers, while with 40mm ball even if i fill it with 100 balls it never jam or jam once or twice only, so maybe they made it to take 39-40mm only, anything larger even by 0.5mm or 1mm it might not function perfectly.

The Following 2 Users Like TareqPhoto's Post:

lodro and OldUser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast