On the "castomized rubbers", once again.

This user has no status.
Rule should be enforce if it gives unfair advantage: Like not tossing of balls or hiding serves with arm / body / head. This is my pet peeves. I mean receiving serve is difficult enough for us amateur players ( noobs ). We don't need our opponent to make it super difficult. I mean, what is the fun when each point is won on serve and serve alone. I am sure spectators will be also bored to death...

Well, there is no rules for one over another, if it is about hidden serves i never have problem with hidden serve because it is hidden, but i only have difficulties or problems on so spinney serves only, be it hidden or videographed it in 8K from all directions, and thus, i use the weapons >>>>> ANTI SPIN and LP, now i hear a lot of people even the coaches saying that LP or Anti are way of cheating, WOW, so hidden serves isn't then? and many players in the club are artists in hidden serves and tricky and illegal serves and no one is complaining.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Maybe the problems comes from all the affiliations.
The local clubs here are affiliated to the provincial club
The provincial club is affiliated to the National club
The national club is affiliated to the ITTF

and of course everybody wants a slice of the money that is the small club's membership fees.

At which level are the rules supposed to be enforced ?
At which level does the ping pong play stop and the real Table Tennis begin ?

Because nobody can answer, this might well be the reason of all the confusions and irregularities.

yes, that is a problem.
and you have 1 rule book for all tiers.
But how many times would you have a problem with lighting in amateur clubs that are hosting tournaments?
So many halls I've been too, have wrong floors, lights with no curtains - sun glare on the table, no aircon/temp control etc. So the venue is not ITTF tournament worthy, but now they want to enforce some of the rules and pretend the others don't exist?

I recall some national player in SA once told me, in SA, they care more if the surrounds are neat and straight, than the level of table tennis played during the tournament.
While overseas, there is no surrounds, but they play few levels higher

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Rule should be enforce if it gives unfair advantage: Like not tossing of balls or hiding serves with arm / body / head. This is my pet peeves. I mean receiving serve is difficult enough for us amateur players ( noobs ). We don't need our opponent to make it super difficult. I mean, what is the fun when each point is won on serve and serve alone. I am sure spectators will be also bored to death...

i agree 100%
then there are also the serves directly out of the hand, no tossing up at all and the serves that are done
over the end of the table etc
All local clubs have given up ruling against any illegal serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Where can I find a “Tony’s Table Tennis” T-shirt? Or must I pass a test to be worthy😁

haha, its was 3 way sponsorship for the club. I was a co-sponsor.
I didn't get a shirt though, gave all to the club players - the club is from a tough neighborhood with gangsterism problems. So sports there really means a lot more than just sport, it means a chance for kids to have some dream and go a path that is different to the guns and drugs that many kids end up following.

This same club that I assisted, they would also "take care" of kids from other clubs/cities, and provide them with equipment/clothing. So talking about the "less fortunate" helping the "more less fortunate". It is very touching.
So over the years, I have sold equipment to them at huge discounts (many times at costs, or just enough to cover my operations expense).

Now think about these kids... many maybe only eat 1 meal a day, gets a lovely "PRO" shirt, goes to the tournament and some clever person there deems it wrongly illegal to wear....

sadly, common sense, or humane sense needs to be taught at ITTF umpires course, and not only focus on the handbook. And not to mention, they still can't get the handbook interpretation correct.

PS. I made a typo, not 50% of the coverage, but rather, the marketing/sponsor logos are less than 50% of the allowed area for advertisement.

The club name and Yasaka logo is not part of advertisement, so the only 2 logo is less than 50% of the allowed by ITTF handbook. So the umpire/ref got it very very wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: PingBirdPong
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

yes, that is a problem.
and you have 1 rule book for all tiers.
But how many times would you have a problem with lighting in amateur clubs that are hosting tournaments?
So many halls I've been too, have wrong floors, lights with no curtains - sun glare on the table, no aircon/temp control etc. So the venue is not ITTF tournament worthy, but now they want to enforce some of the rules and pretend the others don't exist?

I recall some national player in SA once told me, in SA, they care more if the surrounds are neat and straight, than the level of table tennis played during the tournament.
While overseas, there is no surrounds, but they play few levels higher

We think the same way, we just might have different pet-hates

Some rules are of course difficult to enforce, unlike the serve-rules.
None of the 3 local clubs here could exist if they would have to make tables, floor lights etc legal.
The smallest of the clubs has 3 tables and on one side of the room the windows go down to the floor.
The rule is, if you go backwards and brake the glass panel you have to pay half of the repair costs 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

We think the same way, we just might have different pet-hates

Some rules are of course difficult to enforce, unlike the serve-rules.
None of the 3 local clubs here could exist if they would have to make tables, floor lights etc legal.
The smallest of the clubs has 3 tables and on one side of the room the windows go down to the floor.
The rule is, if you go backwards and brake the glass panel you have to pay half of the repair costs 😁

i've been to clubs/tournaments where the bathrooms are not usable - it is so disgusting, that i'm sure any health marshals could ban the use of the building for many reasons.

• Sad
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.

haha, its was 3 way sponsorship for the club. I was a co-sponsor.
I didn't get a shirt though, gave all to the club players - the club is from a tough neighborhood with gangsterism problems. So sports there really means a lot more than just sport, it means a chance for kids to have some dream and go a path that is different to the guns and drugs that many kids end up following.

This same club that I assisted, they would also "take care" of kids from other clubs/cities, and provide them with equipment/clothing. So talking about the "less fortunate" helping the "more less fortunate". It is very touching.
So over the years, I have sold equipment to them at huge discounts (many times at costs, or just enough to cover my operations expense).

Now think about these kids... many maybe only eat 1 meal a day, gets a lovely "PRO" shirt, goes to the tournament and some clever person there deems it wrongly illegal to wear....

sadly, common sense, or humane sense needs to be taught at ITTF umpires course, and not only focus on the handbook. And not to mention, they still can't get the handbook interpretation correct.

PS. I made a typo, not 50% of the coverage, but rather, the marketing/sponsor logos are less than 50% of the allowed area for advertisement.

The club name and Yasaka logo is not part of advertisement, so the only 2 logo is less than 50% of the allowed by ITTF handbook. So the umpire/ref got it very very wrong.

So you are doing charity work at the same time as coaching. Impressive

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
So you are doing charity work at the same time as coaching. Impressive

I think I coached over hundreds of kids for free before charging (think it is easily over 200 or 300 kids)
And then when I charged, I still think I charged too little. entry level baby sitters or pet sitters maybe make more than me
Being TT coach in some parts of the world is sad for the bank account

Reactions: PingBirdPong
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+3]REMINDER FOR ALL
Both sponge and topsheet are the subject to ITTF approval. [/size]
This all ensues directly from the Rule 3.2.3.1. in effect since the year 2004. Using separate sponge sheet is seen a malevolent action in defiance to the Law, anyway.

Be happy.

REFERENCE RULE, ITTF HANDBOOK of 2021
(effective) 3.2.1.3 Any ordinary pimpled rubber or sandwich rubber covering the racket
shall be currently authorised by the ITTF.

Notabena: the former Rule prior to 2004 has had as follows
-- "The covering material on a side of the blade used for striking the ball ... shall be authorised by ITTF"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
[size=+3]REMINDER FOR ALL
Both sponge and topsheet are the subject to ITTF approval. [/size]
This all ensues directly from the Rule 3.2.3.1. in effect since the year 2004. Using separate sponge sheet is seen a malevolent action in defiance to the Law, anyway.

Be happy.

REFERENCE RULE, ITTF HANDBOOK of 2021
(effective) 3.2.1.3 Any ordinary pimpled rubber or sandwich rubber covering the racket
shall be currently authorised by the ITTF.

Notabena: the former Rule prior to 2004 has had as follows
-- "The covering material on a side of the blade used for striking the ball ... shall be authorised by ITTF"

ITTF office/equipment racket covering only tracks the specifications of the top sheet.
They do not track or give ITTF number/s to the sponge (i'm sure you should know this)

There are so many non Chinese brands that share numerous sponges with the authorized topsheet - this is public knowledge.
And I'm not talking about the different thicknesses of sponges, but rather, the different hardness of sponges
If you were to match it with thickness + hardness, many brands has over 10 sponges per top sheet - and none of this is recorded on racketing covering - so how would an ITTF umpire know what sponge is not approved and what is not?

Since the definition is on sandwich rubber, not on just cellular rubber (sponge)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
-- To begin with, "castomized rubbers and sponges" do not exist at all. ITTF did imposed a harsh forbiddance on the use of any rubbers that are not commercially available. ref. T4 Technical Regulations.

Be happy.

Where in T4 does it state the forbiddance?
https://documentstore.ittf.com/docu...et_Coverings_forBOD2017-without-deletings.pdf

T4 is outdated,
Where in M4 does it state the forbiddance of castomized rubbers and sponge?
https://documentstore.ittf.com/documents/MANUAL RC_June 2022.pdf

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The first and only customized rubber ever present on market. Far thicker sponge is incorporated with a thin topsheet
Be happy.

https://documentstore.ittf.com/documents/STIGA 060 Truls Möregardh - Artwork.png

There are rubbers named with players name LONG before Stiga Truls
and many of them are "pro rubbers"
you have shown us a hobby bat rubber.... Truls won't use that haha

Does Donic Copppa JO count?
or Yinhe Qing?
or Stag Peter Karlsson?
or The entire XSF range lol?

Quote "first and only customized rubber ever present on market"
Nope, please try again

What is customized rubber? Customized is specially modified for the player (to be used by the player).

12. NATIONAL SERIES TOP PLAYER EDITION) 12. 国套国手系列
G-ML DHS HURRICANE 3 PLAYER EDITION (MA LONG FOREHAND)PCSDXDN438-1G-ML---红双喜马龙国套正手
G-ML-B DHS HURRICANE 3 PLAYER EDITION (MA LONG BACKHAND)PCSDXDN439-1G-ML-B---红双喜马龙国套反手
G-DN DHS HURRICANE 3 PLAYER EDITION (DING NING FOREHAND)PCSDXDN440-1G-DN---红双喜丁宁国套正手
G-FZ DHS HURRICANE 3 PLAYER EDITION (FAN ZHENDONG FOREHAND)PCSDXDN441-1G-FZ---红双喜樊振东国套正手
G-CM DHS HURRICANE 3 PLAYER EDITION (CHEN MENG FOREHAND)PCSDXDN442-1G-CM---红双喜陈梦国套正手
G-ZY DHS HURRICANE 3 PLAYER EDITION (ZHU YULIN FOREHAND)PCSDXDN443-1G-ZY---红双喜朱雨玲国套正手
[tbody] [/tbody]