lacquered or not ????

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Sorry to bring this up again but generally the top players are not lacquering their blades , I was told.
What makes the blade so shiny ?
It is not a very good pic but one can see the tip of the glue tube clearly mirrored.
https://scontent.fakl1-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/297994656_2862856444021433_6356862791407982539_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=2c4854&_nc_ohc=TPTcTK8GhAcAX_zzg3h&_nc_ht=scontent.fakl1-3.fna&oh=00_AT8r6HRViTXl40j9LZmt6k2yVtTzVAQ2jqNt44bz7HLbkQ&oe=62F62F31
xu%20xin%20blade%20is%20lacquered%20jpg.jpeg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I really don't know what is lacquering is good for or required, sure there is something about it, a coach told me that it is better to lacquer the blade for future use when changing rubbers, so it is kind of protecting the top layers of the wood, for that i asked to lacquer one blade i ordered from online for first time and also asked the coach to do so with two blades i gave him recently last week just in case, and i will order the lacquer bottle for other blades i will be ordering ot using, better to be safe with those than sorry, if that is what lacquering is for.

1. It protests the blade from the water in modern glue.
2. It prevents the top layer to rip when changing rubbers.

I always always always use a small layer of lacquer.
I also remove the rubber side to side.

I used to have problems with top layers ripping now it was a long time since it did.

Cheers
L-zr

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I also put a fine coat on all my blades for the reasons that Lazer mentions.
In previous discussions there were lots of people saying that they were against the lacquering because it would change the feel of the blade.
The same people also were adamant that top players for the very reason mentioned would never lacquer their blades.

BTW. The photo shows Xu Xin

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Sorry to bring this up again but generally the top players are not lacquering their blades , I was told.
What makes the blade so shiny ?

Couldn't that be Xu Xin applying multiple glue layers? That shine could then be the gloss of a previous, still somewhat fresh, layer.

Like many, I'm all for a thin coat - for amateurs, blades aren't exactly discardables like they are for the pros.

This user has no status.
Well, i ordered the last blade which it came lacquered, and it is never shiny, i can see there is a layer on the wood, but it is not smooth or shiny or even semi reflecting, it is just like a layer of previous glue with rubber removed, not sure about it, from an authorized known popular site.

Have you ever seen varnish on a voided boat?
It depends entirely on how it’s done and with what type of lawyer. I use a thin layer of good old fashioned varnish. It looks pretty much the same as the picture. You don’t need to use a high gloss one but they tend to give a harder surface.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Also consider top pros get the blade for free from their sponsors so I guess they are not playing them more than a month or so so adding weight due to water glue or splintering isn't as bad of an issue.

This user has no status.
I have many blades before and i never know if they were lacquered or not, but the only blade that went very bad damage is Stiga Carbonado 190, and funny it happens without changing rubbers, the layer of the wood peeled off from the carbon layer on both sides, and the rubbers are still, curled both sides, so i assume that it wasn't lacquered maybe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
I've lacquered ALL my blades since I started to use speed glue in the 90's: mostly limba outer blades like the Stiga Clipper, and limba is very fragile. I don't think you have to lacquer rosewood, ebony or even some koto outer blades: the new Viscarias really don't need lacquer, but the DHS H301 or the Yinhe's need to. A single layer is enough most of the time, and gently sanded after it has dried or the rubber won't stick on it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

Couldn't that be Xu Xin applying multiple glue layers? That shine could then be the gloss of a previous, still somewhat fresh, layer.

Like many, I'm all for a thin coat - for amateurs, blades aren't exactly discardables like they are for the pros.

Yeah the DHS N°15 is notorious for bringing that kind of "still wet" shinny look to a blade, and of course they use multiple thick layers because of their boosters... also the walnut outer ply + light reflection really tricks the eye.

Even on a withe and clear koto surface, the light is reflecting as if the blade was lacquered a lot when you use the DHS N°15 glue...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
The surface is too even, if it’s glue it should be more wavy…

Cheers
L-zr

I think they added that females putting on their fingers nails to make it shiny, really who cares, why it is so important to now how shiny it is or what layers they applied, believe me i will never care even if it is glowing with lights, leave it and move on.

Reactions: OldUser
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Yeah the DHS N°15 is notorious for bringing that kind of "still wet" shinny look to a blade, and of course they use multiple thick layers because of their boosters... also the walnut outer ply + light reflection really tricks the eye.

Even on a withe and clear koto surface, the light is reflecting as if the blade was lacquered a lot when you use the DHS N°15 glue...

Maybe maybe but then maybe not 😂
He is using a japanese glue and if one watches the video of him applying the glue one can be surprised just how thin the layer of glue is