lacquered or not ????

I think they added that females putting on their fingers nails to make it shiny, really who cares, why it is so important to now how shiny it is or what layers they applied, believe me i will never care even if it is glowing with lights, leave it and move on.

The question here was wether this was glue or lacquer,

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Maybe I have not made this clear enough but the question actually is : Lacquered or not.

I posted this thread because on previous ones of the kind there were always a lot of voices declaring
that a professional player would never bother to seal a blade because it would destroy the ' FEEL"
of the blade . So I was really surprised to see Xu Xin putting his glue on a blade that does look lacquered to me.

This user has no status.

And in both cases who cares other than you, because those players do whatever they do, right wrong it won't change things, they might lacquer something or leave things as it is, i feel for them there are no facts or standards, whatever they have given they obey, heck i even believe they glue only for show and media but in reality maybe they never do for themselves, looking at that pic i can't feel that i have to know the answer, so if it is lacquered then what? If not, then what?

This user has no status.

Maybe I have not made this clear enough but the question actually is : Lacquered or not.

I posted this thread because on previous ones of the kind there were always a lot of voices declaring
that a professional player would never bother to seal a blade because it would destroy the ' FEEL"
of the blade . So I was really surprised to see Xu Xin putting his glue on a blade that does look lacquered to me.

Waiting the answer.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

And in both cases who cares other than you, because those players do whatever they do, right wrong it won't change things, they might lacquer something or leave things as it is, i feel for them there are no facts or standards, whatever they have given they obey, heck i even believe they glue only for show and media but in reality maybe they never do for themselves, looking at that pic i can't feel that i have to know the answer, so if it is lacquered then what? If not, then what?

Because if top players use lacquered blades it means that lacquering will not influence the feel of the blade and we all can go ahead and seal our new blades.
Furthermore it also might indicate that all those "anti-sealers " might be full of sh#%& 🤣
This make this thread a very very important thread 😁😁😁

• Haha
Reactions: TareqPhoto
This user has no status.

Because if top players use lacquered blades it means that lacquering will not influence the feel of the blade and we all can go ahead and seal our new blades.
Furthermore it also might indicate that all those "anti-sealers " might be full of sh#%& 🤣

Sealing, sealing, sealing, here i come 😁🤣

So, should i seal [or lacquer] all my previous blades if they weren't or just do that only for the new upcoming ones?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Also, what made me confusing a bit or surprising is from a site like TT11 they offer that lacquering service for free on some blades, so what about the rest, they don't need to or already done although not mentioned about it?!!!

So, should i seal [or lacquer] all my previous blades if they weren't or just do that only for the new upcoming ones?

well, you seem to be a "good -humored " kinda fellow so my answer is accordingly: It is a free world and
as long as I will not be elected "Emperor of the universe" you can simply please yourself. 😎

I have no answer re why TT11 offers to seal some blades but not others.
From my experience with them I know that they will happily give you an answer if you send them an email.
They are good folks too.

Reactions: TareqPhoto
This user has no status.

well, you seem to be a "good -humored " kinda fellow so my answer is accordingly: It is a free world and
as long as I will not be elected "Emperor of the universe" you can simply please yourself. 😎

I have no answer re why TT11 offers to seal some blades but not others.
From my experience with them I know that they will happily give you an answer if you send them an email.
They are good folks too.

Now i got the answer, thank you 👍

• Haha
Reactions: lodro

I care not to get the top layer destroyed when changing rubbers. maybe You dont...

Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Maybe also some pros feel that the sealing alters the feel but they like the feel more than the original feel while others prefer the original feel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
Stiga is known for their sealing layer because it helps with the consistency of their product. It is like putting the same layer of paint at the end to make every product look/ feel the same.
- All the pros modify their blades (but don’t quote me on that).
- Sealing makes the blade harder/ faster/ heavier. The old Stiga blades are quite heavy.
- Let’s talk about pro once we train like them. Otherwise let’s just seal the blades and enjoy the game.

• Haha
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Stiga is known for their sealing layer because it helps with the consistency of their product. It is like putting the same layer of paint at the end to make every product look/ feel the same.
- All the pros modify their blades (but don’t quote me on that).
- Sealing makes the blade harder/ faster/ heavier. The old Stiga blades are quite heavy.
- Let’s talk about pro once we train like them. Otherwise let’s just seal the blades and enjoy the game.

So your answer to my question is : " YES ! Xu Xin's blade is varnished, likely done by Stiga "

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
I have tried a sanding sealer to give a thin protective coat to my blade face and handle. It provides protection against moisture and sweat stains, specially on the handle. An effect would be it gives a bit of a shine or gloss, giving it a bit of sheen. Makes rubbers easier to remove, and protects the top layer. Too much or too thick will affect the reactive property of the blade.
In my experience, some sealers may react with the print, lettering or design on the blade face. Smearing the paint or design. Extra caution when doing so, if it smears or damages the design, then I do not push through with sealing the blade.

This user has no status.
I care not to get the top layer destroyed when changing rubbers. maybe You dont...

I have only one blade that has top layer destroyed from both sides, and that was Stiga Carbonado 190, and i didn't change rubbers at all, it was damaged with the first rubbers i put on, so i don't know what you are talking about, more than 10 blades i have and more is coming i never had that issue, and i will make sure i will seal them just in case, without thinking about those pros or what in that video posted.

I am trying to understand when to seal the blade and when not, and what kind of sealing and how to seal it, some blades they are already sealed or they are already high quality that don't need sealing, to me i feel Stiga sometimes has that kind of QC with their blades, so i think they need to be sealed or lacquered somehow.

No you obviously do not understand, it depends on the top layer a soft layer like hinoki breaks much easier than a hard one like walnut. But any wood may break. The longer you wait to change the rubber the worse it gets. A layer on top prevents the glue to penetrate the surface and thus it forms a weaker bond.
Also old dry wood will chip more easy.

Last edited: