Any way to report spam/bot accounts?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
I have come across a handful of spam/bot accounts that
1. create table tennis themed posts that make no sense
2. copy a random post elsewhere and insert it into a random thread (I have seen exact copy duplicate posts from two separate accounts on two separate threads)

Is there a way to report not just comments, but users as well?

I guess this is not an overwhelming issue right now, but I have to admit it is a bit annoying and I am sort of angry some punk out there dares sully this table tennis form with dumb bot spam for whatever reason.

Rant over.

Reactions: DukeGaGa
says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
I have come across a handful of spam/bot accounts that1. create table tennis themed posts that make no sense2. copy a random post elsewhere and insert it into a random thread (I have seen exact copy duplicate posts from two separate accounts on two separate threads)Is there a way to report not just comments, but users as well?I guess this is not an overwhelming issue right now, but I have to admit it is a bit annoying and I am sort of angry some punk out there dares sully this table tennis form with dumb bot spam for whatever reason.Rant over.
I am curious, what gain or profit does these spam bot gain by creating these annoying thread that is not related to the forum? I mean they just get deleted and nobody in the forum care about it. We have had some spam thread on offering irrelevant services here that is totally unrelated to TT.I see no profit nor gain in starting these non-sequitur thread. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I am curious, what gain or profit does these spam bot gain by creating these annoying thread that is not related to the forum? I mean they just get deleted and nobody in the forum care about it. We have had some spam thread on offering irrelevant services here that is totally unrelated to TT.I see no profit nor gain in starting these non-sequitur thread. Am I missing something here?

After few posts, they can post links
its all part of phishing

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Yes, I know that. I want to click on the user and report the user, not just the post.

If you click on the "report post" button (the i in the circle) it sends a message to me and all the other administrators on the site and then one of us makes the account dissappear.

The question is, if it is working.

You could also quote the post and copy and past to a PM and send to me. I will see it and if I do think it is a spambot, I will make it disappear.

Reactions: tabletennisdaily1
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022

If you click on the "report post" button (the i in the circle) it sends a message to me and all the other administrators on the site and then one of us makes the account dissappear.

The question is, if it is working.

You could also quote the post and copy and past to a PM and send to me. I will see it and if I do think it is a spambot, I will make it disappear.

Okay, I didn't know that you consider banning the account in report posts, I thought it was strictly for deleting the post itself. Sounds good.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Yes, I know that. I want to click on the user and report the user, not just the post.

It amounts to the same thing. If I see the report and it is spam, I will make them disappear. But I may be the only one doing it. I have let Dan know that every time I go on, there is a wall of spam.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
This is tricky. Banning users by name is like playing whack-a-mole. They can always make up another name. There are companies with databases of scammer's IP addresses but this service costs money. My company uses such a database. All e-mails get routed to the database checking company before being put in our in boxes. Still some get trough. I use to to do the IT work for my company until we had to hire a full time IT guy.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There is a service. Any new member gets checked. When I look at the queue for approval I can see how many times the email and IP address have tried to create accounts and how often it has been tagged for spam before. There is more than that. But that is a simple explanation of the stuff that gets caught in the spam catching software.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
There is a service. Any new member gets checked. When I look at the queue for approval I can see how many times the email and IP address have tried to create accounts and how often it has been tagged for spam before. There is more than that. But that is a simple explanation of the stuff that gets caught in the spam catching software.
Like I said, I know tips and tricks but if I tell you I might never get back if you ban me again. I can easily skirt IP addresses with a VPN. Oh, Oh, I giving hints to the spammers. However, I bet the good ones, worst ones?, already know that and TT forums have no money so they won't bother. I wonder why the current spammers bother. I think of much more devious ways to scam on the internet.

OT, but helpful,

The next examples are pros, there are 4 major call centers in India that scam people out of their savings. Mostly clueless old people. I am old but not clueless.

There are YouTube videos about people scamming the scammers. They are fun to watch from time to time but they take too long. It is good to see the scammers get their computers erased. You should see the scammer's face when he sees himself on his own camera.

One more thing. You can never have enough backups. What I mean is having backups in depth, one that go back in time. If you get hit by ransom wear, they may be able to lock up your last weeks or longer backups too. You need to back up in depth time wise.

I recently got a scam call that claimed to be from Amazon. I am not setup to delete his files but I could get him to go away quickly. If someone is calling you from a company you do business with, they should have have your account details. In my case I asked the person that claimed to be from Amazon what my shipping address is. They couldn't answer. DON"T TELL THEM IF THEY DON"T KNOW. Another good question is what are the last 4 digits of the credit card you have on file. DON'T tell them if they don't know. Ask questions they should know if they really have your account data.

I know this not TT related by I have had two scam phone calls and I thwarted both easily.
I bet this post saved more money than a few years worth of TT coaching.

One more defense that I have that most don't.
I don't have a credit rating. There is no point in trying to steal the identity of someone that doesn't have a credit rating.