Pure wood, ZLC or ALC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020

only inside your head and other ignoramuses head. 🤣

I've heard referring to ALC/ZLC/Tamca as Carbon many times too. It's not 100% correct/perfect of course. But I guess we all understand how Lazer meant it. The intention is more important here. Otherwise we could try zooming into the layer until we are no more sure that even electrons exists :) I vote for common sense :) And for increasing the level of the common sense due to the TTD :)

-- Ignorasimus majorus optimus

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I've heard referring to ALC/ZLC/Tamca as Carbon many times too. It's not 100% correct/perfect of course. But I guess we all understand how Lazer meant it. The intention is more important here. Otherwise we could try zooming into the layer until we are no more sure that even electrons exists :) I vote for common sense :) And for increasing the level of the common sense due to the TTD :)

-- Ignorasimus majorus optimus

Yes indeed we hear it all the time everything is CARBON ---- well, it is not.
There is really no reason why some stupid Simplification should be upheld just because it caters to the low common denominator.
Especially not if the OP has asked not for carbon but for ALC and ZLC.

Call it what it is : A dog is not a cat and a horse is not a donkey just because they all have 4 legs 😉

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Yes indeed we hear it all the time everything is CARBON ---- well, it is not.
There is really no reason why some stupid Simplification should be upheld just because it caters to the low common denominator.
Especially not if the OP has asked not for carbon but for ALC and ZLC.

Call it what it is : A dog is not a cat and a horse is not a donkey just because they all have 4 legs 😉

That is not the situation here. My impression was he used the word Carbon to refer to a ALC/ZLC/whatever super layer. Granted, it is imprecise, I don't argue with that. It's like if I say, we play some sport. And you say no, no no no, we play TT. Calling it sport is stupid simplification :)

There are thousands of levels of abstraction. And as I said, I think more important is the intention in what was expressed, than the imprecision in it. I hope you get that drift.

And for the record, I disagreed with Lazer when he said there is no need for fancy names when speaking about cross-over step. For the people at that exact level, it makes a lot of sense to call it cross-over step, and not calling it cross-over is indeed a bit silly.

But here I must agree that it is just nitpicking, especially when he said that he meant it that way. I choose to trust it. And I wish you good n8, I guess I stop in this thread :). Cheers.

Reactions: Lazer
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
That is not the situation here. My impression was he used the word Carbon to refer to a ALC/ZLC/whatever super layer. Granted, it is imprecise, I don't argue with that. It's like if I say, we play some sport. And you say no, no no no, we play TT. Calling it sport is stupid simplification :)

There are thousands of levels of abstraction. And as I said, I think more important is the intention in what was expressed, than the imprecision in it. I hope you get that drift.

And for the record, I disagreed with Lazer when he said there is no need for fancy names when speaking about cross-over step. For the people at that exact level, it makes a lot of sense to call it cross-over step, and not calling it cross-over is indeed a bit silly.

But here I must agree that it is just nitpicking, especially when he said that he meant it that way. I choose to trust it. And I wish you good n8, I guess I stop in this thread :). Cheers.

Chicken !!! 😁

There have always been 2 schools of thinking:
Ignorance is bliss and Ignorance is the cause of all suffering.😂

Next time you go to the disco make sure you come home with the date you prefer : male or female, they are all carbon NO, WAIT i was going to say all human beings

• Haha
Reactions: latej

Chicken !!! 😁

There have always been 2 schools of thinking:
Ignorance is bliss and Ignorance is the cause of all suffering.😂

Next time you go to the disco make sure you come home with the date you prefer : male or female, they are all carbon NO, WAIT i was going to say all human beings

The ability to abstract has nothing to do with ignorance…

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
its not "carbon" layer. The correct terminology or "known as" is composite layer.
Any of your carbon, glass, paper etc in the blade can also be called composite layer.
Carbon is only 1 of the 3

But in the beginner circle, people just call it wood and carbon.
And for that reason (beginner circle), I tend not to go into a debate.
For the ones that want to know, then here is your answer.
But I would say most people would know that Carbon is referring to composite layer (since it is 1 of the 3, and more popular of the 3)

Side step and cross over, most people know it is different (since it is no where the same or part of it)

Last edited:
Reactions: latej
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Hello TableTennisDaily Community!

Can anybody tell me in details what is the difference between the pure wood, ZLC and ALC blades? I've been looking, but I couldn't find the answer. Thought I might here.
Thanks!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The OP question is really quite clear.
He asks for the difference between all wood blade and a blade that has composite layers of either ZLC ( Zylon/carbon) and/or
ALC ( Aramid or Arylate / carbon.

He also does not ask for blades that simply a carbon layer.
He asks a very specific question about playing quality of these blades in comparison with just a wooden blade.

So c'mon you experts.......................answer the bloody question , specifically, not generally and be precise 😁😁😁

Reactions: Muhammad Saim
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Let me educate you again.
You can find the most complete information about ALC and ZLC on Butteflys homepage. Simply do a Google search on Butterfly…

You wanted to educate me in post #11 , so i assume it is me you try to educate again.
It might help if you would learn to press the blue line called REPLY TO XYZs POST.

More to the point: It is not me who asks for information . I used to own a laminating business and know the ins and outs
of the job. and I definitely do not need advise from amateurs. 😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
That is commonly referred to as “carbon layer”.

Through misuse of language. "Commonly" here means nothing, it's imprecise, incorrect, vague, abstract,elusive, unclear... inaccurate. As we say in french "On ? qui ça "on" ? "on" c'est un con .". I've been told hundreds of time in the very beginning of my journalist career to NEVER EVER use misuse of language: information has to be accurate, if it doesn't, then restate it.

I know, most of the people are imprecise, incorrect, vague, abstract, elusive... inaccurate, that's why we see misuse of language everywhere, and that's why it unfortunately leads to wrong informations, wrong knowledge, and sadly nowadays to fake news, and that's why there are journalists with ethics, and why there are FOX News complotist idiots, because spreading your own truth is always better to them instead of spreading the right one, even if it does not please your inner convictions. And the OP noticed that indeed in this topic, he needs the RIGHT information, not misuse of language.

You should use ethics: for example, I'm a vegan, I'm a sportaholic and I use protein powders, will I say that "commonly vegan proteins are as easy to use as animal proteins ?" nope, it does not please my convictions, but I have to face it: it's more difficult to get a complete complete amino acids composition with vegan proteins than with animal ones. Of course I'm informed enough to know how to eat correctly now, but the right information is not that easy to recover sometimes.

And again: END OF DISCUSSION

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
You guys need to remember, in Lazer's side of the world - they have they own language as far as TT is concerned. It is very different to many of my Swede friends and friends at the Yasaka (Woodhouse) and Stiga HQ (we all speak the same - we is referring the 20+ TT countries I've visited and friends from maybe another 20 more countries), but Lazer, his city is unique. We need to adapt to his TT language.

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hello TableTennisDaily Community!

Can anybody tell me in details what is the difference between the pure wood, ZLC and ALC blades? I've been looking, but I couldn't find the answer. Thought I might here.
Thanks!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The OP question is really quite clear.
He asks for the difference between all wood blade and a blade that has composite layers of either ZLC ( Zylon/carbon) and/or
ALC ( Aramid or Arylate / carbon.

He also does not ask for blades that simply a carbon layer.
He asks a very specific question about playing quality of these blades in comparison with just a wooden blade.

So c'mon you experts.......................answer the bloody question , specifically, not generally and be precise 😁😁😁

The way this thread is going (and not surprised), that dude is long gone

• Haha
Reactions: lodro and latej
This user has no status.
Are you all being deliberately dumb. Carbon fiber resin composites which are used as a layer is some table tennis blades are not Carbon by your own criteria they are carbon fiber resin composites. And ZLC is a Carbon fiber resin composites and Zylon TM Amarid weave.Also wood blades are not wood as they contain hide glueThis is all mindless pedantry and yes it's commonly called carbon blades if they contain carbon fibre resin composite weaves as a significant part of one layer in the construction if you want an example see literally most TTD videos on these blades.The original argument was just made in a spiteful internet clout chasing way and is embarrassing since they apparently didn't factor in that carbon fiber usually contains resin

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Are you all being deliberately dumb. Carbon fiber resin composites which are used as a layer is some table tennis blades are not Carbon by your own criteria they are carbon fiber resin composites. And ZLC is a Carbon fiber resin composites and Zylon TM Amarid weave.Also wood blades are not wood as they contain hide glueThis is all mindless pedantry and yes it's commonly called carbon blades if they contain carbon fibre resin composite weaves as a significant part of one layer in the construction if you want an example see literally most TTD videos on these blades.The original argument was just made in a spiteful internet clout chasing way and is embarrassing since they apparently didn't factor in that carbon fiber usually contains resin

another amateur who is giving his 5 cents worth 🤣

Children of Amarid as it's meant to be heard, narrated by Pete Cross. Discover the English Audiobook at Audible. Free trial available!

This user has no status.

another amateur who is giving his 5 cents worth 🤣

Children of Amarid as it's meant to be heard, narrated by Pete Cross. Discover the English Audiobook at Audible. Free trial available!

So you believe that carbon fibre composites are pure carbon?
and that wood blades don't contain glue?
Or have a plastic lens in the handle?
​​​​​​
this is the president you have set. Or do you beleive that being good at table tennis means you know the structure of carbon fibre weaves better than the people who make them?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

So you believe that carbon fibre composites are pure carbon?
and that wood blades don't contain glue?
Or have a plastic lens in the handle?
​​​​​​
this is the president you have set. Or do you beleive that being good at table tennis means you know the structure of carbon fibre weaves better than the people who make them?

What are examples of composite?A composite is a material that is made by combining two or more substances that have different physical properties.