I’m horrible, help

This user has no status.
Here’s a recent video I managed to get onto YouTube. I am playing terribly these days. The small court in the video stops me from opening up, so I’m too passive. And my technique is way off. Even though I was able to do it with 90% success a few months ago, I completely fail to lift backspin now and can’t figure out how to fix it. I feel like I’m no longer in control of my body.
FYI: The video is two sets against a school team member of my old school (trained for 7 years)

This user has no status.
Maybe you are not playing regularly. One needs to play 3x a week with a purpose to maintain the level or slowly improve... less than that and one can get worse. TT requires more time doing it than say tennis.
Indeed I was not. I had been training regularly a while ago, and played quite well for a while. But then Chinese education struck and I had to focus on a test that’s planned for THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER BREAK. So there goes my TT time.

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Here’s a recent video I managed to get onto YouTube. I am playing terribly these days. The small court in the video stops me from opening up, so I’m too passive. And my technique is way off. Even though I was able to do it with 90% success a few months ago, I completely fail to lift backspin now and can’t figure out how to fix it. I feel like I’m no longer in control of my body.FYI: The video is two sets against a school team member of my old school (trained for 7 years)
You are not bad, you are just goofing around. I can feel that this does not represent the 100% you. You were just goofing around. Hence, don't take it too serious. Show us some real serious footage next time then we can better comment more accurately. For the benefit of clarity; serious means your body language shows that you want to win the match badly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
(Can’t tell if you are serious or not)
Noooooooooooooooooo……
🙉

how do you expect to have a tall guy playing in that space?

1st kick out the next table
2nd kick out the badminton people
3rd, move your table so you have the WHOLE area to yourself

then maybe can try and play

We will talk about your EJ virus next time and find a way to heal it

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
I have never seen a Multi Bird training (in badminton) . 1:54 of the video
Your TPH backhand is not bad. Tony is wrong. It is not too late for you. You can still try to learn RPH backhand

Seriously, I have rarely seen a poster with a YouTube video, say as to who is who in the video. I have seen a few players say like "I am the one with green skirt & high heels" or something.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I have never seen a Multi Bird training (in badminton) . 1:54 of the video
Your TPH backhand is not bad. Tony is wrong. It is not too late for you. You can still try to learn RPH backhand

Seriously, I have rarely seen a poster with a YouTube video, say as to who is who in the video. I have seen a few players say like "I am the one with green skirt & high heels" or something.

Sorry for any confusion, but to clear things up: I am the tall and skinny high schooler in grey t shirt and black shorts. I’m playing the kid with the white T-shirt.

This user has no status.

how do you expect to have a tall guy playing in that space?

1st kick out the next table
2nd kick out the badminton people
3rd, move your table so you have the WHOLE area to yourself

then maybe can try and play

We will talk about your EJ virus next time and find a way to heal it

4th, get kicked out for hogging the court.😆

I mean, the court costs 3 dollars an hour, I get what I get. But yes, a lot more room is needed.

And yes, I need to deal with the fact that I have 4 active rackets of different structure and probably need to stick with the Boll alc and the 7-plys.
Yes sir! Thank you sir!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
So serval things i like to mention, besides that you just can not play like this. I mean things like the old man walking right behind you without a word, is not just rude but really dangerous. Once I hit an unattended child with a full blown topspin in the back who was picking smth up behind me. If that stroke would hit the head, that child would have been unconscious with a dent in the head to remember.

First every backspin ball you failed to bring over the net you hit it with a topspin instead of a loop. In general at this level you need to loop or at least hit upwards every ball that lands below the net to bring it back over the net.
Second, you are a tall guy. You really need to get your ass lower. Bend your knees more and lean more forward. You are miscalculating and misreading the spin of many balls in the position you are standing and hitting the ball.
Third, dont blame your body. If you are that tall and compromised in your movement you cant trust your body to make decent choices for you. The risk of sidestepping into someone is way too big. I mean i am smaller than you probably and one sidejump into topsping would have been enough to crack the hip of the oldtimer next to you^^. No position i would want to be in.

This user has no status.
So serval things i like to mention, besides that you just can not play like this. I mean things like the old man walking right behind you without a word, is not just rude but really dangerous. Once I hit an unattended child with a full blown topspin in the back who was picking smth up behind me. If that stroke would hit the head, that child would have been unconscious with a dent in the head to remember.

First every backspin ball you failed to bring over the net you hit it with a topspin instead of a loop. In general at this level you need to loop or at least hit upwards every ball that lands below the net to bring it back over the net.
Second, you are a tall guy. You really need to get your ass lower. Bend your knees more and lean more forward. You are miscalculating and misreading the spin of many balls in the position you are standing and hitting the ball.
Third, dont blame your body. If you are that tall and compromised in your movement you cant trust your body to make decent choices for you. The risk of sidestepping into someone is way too big. I mean i am smaller than you probably and one sidejump into topsping would have been enough to crack the hip of the oldtimer next to you^^. No position i would want to be in.
Thanks for the advice.
The things I can do here are
1. practice my topspin against backspin and find the old feeling
2. remember to keep my center of mass low and in front at all times
3. find a bigger court

Reactions: Attitude
This user has no status.

Sorry for any confusion, but to clear things up: I am the tall and skinny high schooler in grey t shirt and black shorts. I’m playing the kid with the white T-shirt.

i don´t know what the problem is you counterpunched very awesome for your age and the Penhold Style😁 Well maybe just cause you think you are to tall,there were good tall players Before who took advantage of the angles and their reach,the main points already where pointed out from others. But look at Samsonov he had an incredible reach and was tall. Take what you think is a wekaness and try to make it an advantage,he doesn´t look faster than you,even if he is smaller. Meaning lower Body movement not the Arm Wrist movement,keep it up.
You have some good games and some bad ones,sometimes you learn more from bad games. And if you are in A stresssituation in your live School and no time to practice,dont get to critical of yourself. Was that the first Game and training after your Exams?

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Long time ago there was a video about sport-psychology relating to TT and i remember the "guru" insisting that we should attack every training session like it were the final in a great tournament,

Next time before the training watch some video of your TT-idol and then go and kick ass 😂

........and yes, stop playing that penhold grip 😁

• Haha
This user has no status.

i don´t know what the problem is you counterpunched very awesome for your age and the Penhold Style😁 Well maybe just cause you think you are to tall,there were good tall players Before who took advantage of the angles and their reach,the main points already where pointed out from others. But look at Samsonov he had an incredible reach and was tall. Take what you think is a wekaness and try to make it an advantage,he doesn´t look faster than you,even if he is smaller. Meaning lower Body movement not the Arm Wrist movement,keep it up.
You have some good games and some bad ones,sometimes you learn more from bad games. And if you are in A stresssituation in your live School and no time to practice,dont get to critical of yourself. Was that the first Game and training after your Exams?

No, I had trained quite a bit.