Hurricane 3 Provincial VS Hurricane 3 NEO Provincial

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
Hi,

I am looking to get either "Hurricane 3 Provincial" or "Hurricane 3 NEO Provincial" as a forehand rubber.

I currently use Hurricane 3 commercial version. I have used this rubber for over two years without changing and it still works very well. As many point out, the sponge is hard.. however, I don't necessarily see that as a disadvantage as it has been able to give me a much wider range of shots than was available with other, faster, rubbers. I also realise H3 was always better when glued, but it has not hampered my ability to produce shots in two years without gluing.

While tenergy or nimbus type rubbers, which I have used before, are obviously more powerful H3 has always given me the option of playing good touch, short shots with small strokes as well as very fast shots if I swing fast. (For info I use tenergy 05fx on backhand).

My style is very fast, big forehand loops at close to mid distance, and H3 commerical always satisfied this. The provincial versions (either standard or neo) I feel should help guarantee a better quality rubber and/or give more consistency/control.

Therefore I would just like to ask what are the differences between H3 prov and H3 Neo Prov and also which people would recommend? And also what difference will I notice with each in comparison to the H3 commercial I use now?

One possible issue I have heard is that NEO versions can lose their "glue effect" after a couple of weeks. and then play no better than a standard H3, if not worse. But the reviews are conflicting on this. Any clarification would be great!

(To avoid the issue, I can trust my source so I won't be dealing with fakes).

Thanks!

Gary

says Hi, no thanks, I've found a place where I can get one...
Jan 2012
Yes I'm curious too. I'm considering moving from H3 neo prov w/ dianchi to the regular H3 prov. since I have the bad habit of stroking the ball too far away, it might be a good thing. To those who played with both (preferably with a drop of Dianchi for the softness), the REAL difference is it really the tuning layer on the NEO versions or the whole sponge ? Is it only the power of the NEOs that makes the difference between both versions ?Thx

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
NEO and regular Hurricane are different. They are both good. I have used both. I like both. Either is fine. Both are great for touch shots, for short game, for driving, and especially for looping.

Here is what is difference, the sponge and the topsheet are different. On regular Hurricane the sponge has a little less spring to it. Very little but it is there. There is less deformation and less bounce. This has its advantages and its drawbacks. The topsheet is tackier on the regular Hurricane by a lot. This also has its advantages and its disadvantages.

On the NEO, the sponge is a little more springy, has more bounce and is a bit more alive feeling. But the sponges are not very different. The biggest difference is in the topsheet. The NEO top sheet is very grippy, but not 100% tacky. So it grabs the ball really well, but not the way that regular Hurricane does. The advantage to this that I can see is that, you can sink into the sponge and use it more for loops and heavy pushes. The disadvantage is, that, with regular Hurricane you can get a ton of spin when you really brush the ball because of how hard the tacky topsheet grabs the ball before it sinks in. Because of this, NEO is also better for blocking. But, I would say, in the end, it is six of this, half a dozen of that. They are both great.

And if you have not tried NEO, it might be worth trying, so you know for yourself what the differences are.

As far as Commercial and Provincial. If you get a good one, there is not really that much difference. It is just, much more likely to get a good one if you get Provincial. The quality control is what is better there. The product is the same. They are just sending the stuff that passes the highest standard of tests to the National team, the stuff that passes the second highest standard of tests to the Provincial team and the stuff that does not quite make the cut is sold commercially.

Reactions: splasher78
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here are some videos that outline the details of the differences. Probably Part 3 is the most important part in my opinion. But all three give you interesting information:

Part 1 of 3: Hurricane 3 vs Hurricane 3 Neo - Physical Properties and Appearance Compared

Part 2 of 3: Hurricane 3 vs Hurricane 3 Neo - Rebound Speed, Throw Height, Spin Compared

Part 3 of 3: Hurricane 3 vs Hurricane 3 Neo - Used and compared in play by 4 of our league players

Reactions: Xanderngzien
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
if no wrong that NEO is the upgrade version and more power compare to normal version

It is true that NEO is the upgrade, but some people do still like Regular Hurricane III better than Hurricane III NEO. I kind of like them both, but like playing with NEO better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
i wouldnt say tenergy or nimbus are more powerful.. its jsut easier to get the ball go faster with them.. top end performance( speed anyway) of H3 should be higher than t05 or nimbus as its harder to bottom out a sheet of h3.

so for the neo debate. i would stick to the normal provincial. even though the sheet of neo provincial that i got from eacheng or ttnpp was really good it played really well straight out

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Note that this is in commercial version, not the provincial.
Personally I found the NEO version to be softer (just a tad) but more dynamic.
The Neo got more gear and plays better off the table.

Oh yeah and I do concur. The throw for the NEO is lower.

pre glue?? speed Glue?
Pre glue --> Glued and tuned by the factory
Speed glue --> We glue it with speed glue!

Jan 2012
Thanks a lot guys for your advices. I love the Neo but at my level, glued on a TBS, It's fast, even though I play quite good, I try lately to correct some of my moves, legs positions, and thinking about the moves more than the shots, I miss the table by far sometimes, and figured out that I could try the H3 provincial to see if that would solve something. Also I'm curious, I only try H3 #19 except for the Neo version.

For those who use booster or more specifically Dianchi, when boosted, is the difference between the two rubbers, the same as non-boosted: the springiness/speed that is a bit less on the H3 regular ?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
hmm...how to say....http://www.ttshop.cn/product.asp?id=2319 << is use for pre-glued 1...its a kind of oil nt gum...normally use for hurricane....after used the rubber will become more power n soft n better feelings if nt wrong...and it is legal......speed glue was banned right?

No, that is not legal. Let me say it again: NO, THAT IS NOT LEGAL.

People do boost, but, all boosting is against the rules. The rules clearly state that adding any substance to a rubber that will change its playing characteristics is against the rules. This issue has come up over and over. Boosting, which changes the performance of a rubber, is against the rules. A rubber that is FACTORY TUNED, is okay, but, once a company has gotten ITTF Approval for a rubber, and once it leaves their factory, players are not allowed to do anything but glue the rubber on and play. Here is the rule:

Law 2.04.07 - The covering material should be used as it has been authorised by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc.

You can look that up.

Here is an article that gives information on this:

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/speedglue/a/ban_speedglue.htm

That rule, listed above makes it clear that anything added to the rubber for the purpose of altering playing characteristics, after the rubber leaves the factory, is against the rules.

Jan 2012
Who cares really about those rules ? Except if your a pro, there's no big deal. I do boost, NOT for the speed increase really but for the spin and softness added to a hard rubber like Hurricane. The changing of the rule is an economical reason, NOT health, before people bought a sheet of Sriver and a liter of glue, which lasted for many months. Now, it is TENERGY or any tensor, no exception, and that costs a lot. almost 100% of the biggest players use Tenergy nowadays. And finally, I don't see how I could be unfair to my opponent because I use a booster and he uses Tenergy 05 or 64... Anyways, Hurricane needs to be boosted or speed glued to play as it was intended to. I played is without anything before, but a year later I tryed Dianchi on H3 neo and that helped me a lot. The feeling is completely different. Love it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Who cares really about those rules ? Except if your a pro, there's no big deal. I do boost, NOT for the speed increase really but for the spin and softness added to a hard rubber like Hurricane. The changing of the rule is an economical reason, NOT health, before people bought a sheet of Sriver and a liter of glue, which lasted for many months. Now, it is TENERGY or any tensor, no exception, and that costs a lot. almost 100% of the biggest players use Tenergy nowadays. And finally, I don't see how I could be unfair to my opponent because I use a booster and he uses Tenergy 05 or 64... Anyways, Hurricane needs to be boosted or speed glued to play as it was intended to. I played is without anything before, but a year later I tryed Dianchi on H3 neo and that helped me a lot. The feeling is completely different. Love it.

exactly the point . i would only do it for the feel and softness . hurricane is fast enough.. you would have to have some limp arm for it not to be fast.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I would rather know the rules and disagree with them then be naive. I personally do not care if people boost. It is a stupid rule and I can disagree with it. I boost when I put my rubbers on. But I will not say it is legal, and if you look at the post I was responding to:

hmm...how to say....http://www.ttshop.cn/product.asp?id=2319 << is use for pre-glued 1...its a kind of oil nt gum...normally use for hurricane....after used the rubber will become more power n soft n better feelings if nt wrong...and it is legal......speed glue was banned right?

iLove4X says: "...and it is legal......"

AND, NO, IT IS NOT LEGAL. When you are breaking the rules on purpose, you should know it. If you are boosting and think it is legal, you don't know the rules.

It is just as illegal as speed glue. I personally don't feel like there is anything wrong with speed glue either. I just think it is a pain to reglue every time you play. I would rather just use what I have or boost when I feel like it. BOOSTING IS JUST AS MUCH AGAINST THE RULES AS SPEED GLUE IS. If you know that, you can do what you want. I know people who still speed glue. I don't care.

But it is foolish that the ITTF originally said they are banning speed glue because it is harmful and then banned other substances that are not harmful as well.

But, Boosting is still against the rules. :) Do with the information what you want. I like the way Hurricane plays boosted and I think it plays just fine without boosting. It is all just what you are used to.

Last edited: