European Table Tennis Championships 2022

This user has no status.
The article doesn't make sense, and I honestly struggle to take anything from Emrathich seriously. Truls didn't play the Olympic because of injury and maybe they wanted Kallberg to have a chance since he had displayed better form and Karlsson may not have liked it. But what I will say is that if Sweden wants its best chance at a team medal, Karlsson is their only viable lefty and his best partner is Falck (nee Karlsson). Truls is the best singles player. And then it comes down to who is playing better between Falck and Karlsson for the other singles spot. I think they have tried Truls and Kallberg/Bergstron in mixed doubles and maybe Karlsson and Kallberg /Bergstrom for mixed doubles.

Of course all this is speculation but this is how I see it. Karlsson and Falck have proved themselves enough that they clearly give Sweden a doubles point against just about every team in the world, and they are both very strong in Singles with Truls. This is a chance at an Olympic medal against a lot of Asian teams - unless they just want to compete for 5th place, no other option is serious.

It was basically a translation with a clickbait title from an article in swedish reporting the same thing, anyway Karlsson performance in that period was quite bad so could've kinda made sense. For mixed doubles I certainly don't expect Bergstrom, with Truls they had a quite poor performance in the europeans, simply because chopper + attacker pair usually doesn't work well, Karlsson instead could be a good pick since there are no left-handed female players, maybe Karlsson + Stina Kallberg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

You clearly didn't watch the match.

Of course I've watched it, and even several times because I wanted to see HOW exactly Truls lost that way, and I stand my words (live + after on ETTU website): losing after leading 9-2 in the 5th game, at 2-2, in a best of 7 games macth is not choking at all, you''ve just reached the middle of the match.

I'm an old player, started in the late 80's when the games where 21 pts, a best of 7 nowadays is like playing a best of 3 with 21 pts, only 2 pts difference (44 pts overall with 11pts games, 42 with 21pts games) in that case, to me the players where exactly like 1-1 39pts to 37 for Truls to me equals to: Truls won the first one 21-16 and Mattias won the second one 21-18. Then Truls leads 9-2, and loses with only 14 pts scored in the "3rd" one.

As I've said, 4 games to reach is long, and anything can happen, if you think loosing the 5th game that way when you're tied at 2 games all is choking, quit TT cos' you seriously got a psychological problem. And it's exactly what Truls is known for, he could have won the 6th one, he wasn't having his back to the wall when Mattias was comming back in that game... but he couldn't, cos' the momentum already happened way before that 5th game.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Of course I've watched it, and even several times because I wanted to see HOW exactly Truls lost that way, and I stand my words (live + after on ETTU website): losing after leading 9-2 in the 5th game, at 2-2, in a best of 7 games macth is not choking at all, you''ve just reached the middle of the match.

I'm an old player, started in the late 80's when the games where 21 pts, a best of 7 nowadays is like playing a best of 3 with 21 pts, only 2 pts difference (44 pts overall with 11pts games, 42 with 21pts games) in that case, to me the players where exactly like 1-1 39pts to 37 for Truls to me equals to: Truls won the first one 21-16 and Mattias won the second one 21-18. Then Truls leads 9-2, and loses with only 14 pts scored in the "3rd" one.

As I've said, 4 games to reach is long, and anything can happen, if you think loosing the 5th game that way when you're tied at 2 games all is choking, quit TT cos' you seriously got a psychological problem. And it's exactly what Truls is known for, he could have won the 6th one, he wasn't having his back to the wall when Mattias was comming back in that game... but he couldn't, cos' the momentum already happened way before that 5th game.

Nothing wrong with defending fringe views, it's your prerogative.

Fitness cardio and all that weight loss hype isn't that much important for table tennis, you don't need to be that athletic, BUT on the other hand avoiding belly fat is way better for our health in general https://utswmed.org/medblog/belly-fat/

So, don't loose weight because you wanna play like those tiny asians with über quick footwork, loose weight because it simply matters. That's what I do now: I don't care about having quick moves and footwork and power in my FH with an H3, I just care about being healthy and happy in my life, I'm not the best blocker/counter in the world for sure (not even in my town 🤣), but I'm for sure healthier than Waldner is with his knees hurting because of his weight

I just realized that the venue where Waldner plays the woman in a wheel chair is the venue for of my clubs...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

case, to me the players where exactly like 1-1 39pts to 37 for Truls to me equals to: Truls won the first one 21-16 and Mattias won the second one 21-18. Then Truls leads 9-2, and loses with only 14 pts scored in the "3rd" one.

As I've said, 4 games to reach is long, and anything can happen, if you think loosing the 5th game that way when you're tied at 2 games all is choking,

2 points to seal the 5th game.
Not 12 points...
You can't mix and match 11 and 21 and think psychological there is no differences.

Players choke all the time. Maybe the term choke might not be defined the same everywhere, but if you up 9-2, you shouldn't loose. In 21 point context, it is 18-4, 3 to win and you still loose...

11 point has made TT more psychological than 21.
The 5 game of WTT has made it even more psychological

Imagine if they change 11 point to 7 point or 5 point - it is really anyone's game to win.

The way Truls lost game 3 and 4 and then how he lost 9 points in a row to loose game 5, 11-9 all shows the same problem and weakness.
hope the coaching staff can work on it

Last edited:
This user has no status.
European Champions Qiu Dang (#9) and Sofia Polcanova (#10) get top 10 World Rankings. The weight of a top 10 ranking is off Adriana's shoulders.
As for the rankings, I don't understand why Jorgic arriving in the final gained no points, being still 8th with the same point of Lin Jun Yu who is 7th

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
As for the rankings, I don't understand why Jorgic arriving in the final gained no points, being still 8th with the same point of Lin Jun Yu who is 7th

If you have more than 1 Continental result, only the best result is counted. Jorgic was winner of the 2022 Europe Top 16 Cup so that result is the one that counts. So ranking wise, there was nothing for him to be gained here.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
European Champions Qiu Dang (#9) and Sofia Polcanova (#10) get top 10 World Rankings. The weight of a top 10 ranking is off Adriana's shoulders.

Is Polcanova clearly better than Adriana? Just curious as to whether the same criticisms will be made (she does have a few better wins, but is she going to get the same top 10 criticism)?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

Is Polcanova clearly better than Adriana? Just curious as to whether the same criticisms will be made (she does have a few better wins, but is she going to get the same top 10 criticism)?

If her results show a few better wins, then at least somewhat better. I'm not at all going to deny that Sofia gets the Continental advantage as well. Is she better than players like Kihara, Hirano, Zhang Rui, Fan Siqi?... No. This is not a knock on Adriana or Sofia. They're doing what they're supposed to be doing. The ranking system is what it is.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015

Interesting question. Adriana is 1 - 0 head to head but from 2018. If anything maybe Polcanova should get more criticism.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016

If her results show a few better wins, then at least somewhat better. I'm not at all going to deny that Sofia gets the Continental advantage as well. Is she better than players like Kihara, Hirano, Zhang Rui, Fan Siqi?... No. This is not a knock on Adriana or Sofia. They're doing what they're supposed to be doing. The ranking system is what it is.

exactly wouldn't bet a single USD on Adriana or Sofia if they face one of these girls.