Donic Skachkov Carbon

After some research and Joola Rossi Emotion being out of stock, decided to give it a try just to extend my knowledge. I've never had a Koto outer carbon blade, so curious to try.

I put almost fresh:
DHS Hurricane 8-80 38"
Nittaku Fastarc G1

Weight is 81.6 grams.

Haven't played yet, so will keep you updated :)

Meanwhile post some photos of the blade right out of the box (no additional sanding or anything on the photos).
Overall finish and design is quite nice. Don't see any issues at all.
Had to sand wings a little bit, because I like them smooth.
Also put a couple of super thin layers of lacquer.

ST handle is quite squarish and thick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrighty67
Ok guys, I'm still testing, but have some results.

So the blade is clear OFF range for me. It is not slow, not ultra-fast, not bouncy. I can control it with no problems. Sometimes when you pick a new blade for a first time you have weird feelings. It was not the case for me with this one. I picked it and started to play my game with no issues.
Short game and blocks are super easy.
Top-spins with DHS 8-80 require some technic and proper placement for me.
Fastarc g1 was a little bit too powerful and hard for me as BH rubber, so for now I'm playing with AK47 Red which is more linear I would say.

Today I had a chance to quickly compare it with Viscaria, but of course there were different rubbers.
The thing I noticed the most is that Viscaria vibrates much more. Skachkov Carbon has nice amount of vibrations which clearly gives you information and feedback, but doesn't bother.

(Fun fact: Viscaria has so sharp edges! I had to work with sandpaper on Skachkov Carbon as well, but the blade costs 4 times less. Love how Butterfly makes money :-D)

My intermediate verdict is that blade definitely worth trying it especially for the price! If you are an attacking player and have some skills, you will be just fine, especially with proper rubbers.

PS: squarish handle is so-so for me, but it gives a clear idea of a blade angle, which I like. Probably it makes sense to get used to.
I'm expecting to get Joola Santoru KL-C Outer blade soon to compare them. I don't have 2 sets of the same rubbers, so will have to reglue of course.

Reactions: ShoutGuy and AndyK
Quick update!
The more I play with the blade the more I like it (I think it happens often with other blades as well of course). So if you are thinking about this blade, don't worry. Just buy and try. You will not be disappointed.

I really love how easy is a short game for me now. But also have no issues making nice top spins with sticky rubber.

Squarish handle is ok for me now as well. I just got Donic True Carbon Inner and it has more rounded handle btw.
Also got Joola Santoru KL-C Outer for me and it has even more round than DTCI handle I will post some photos later.

Also in September I'll post some comparisons between these blades.

When re-gluing rubber top layers tends to split just a little even after a couple of thin lacquer layers.
Interesting that DTCI also has a Koto top ply, but it looks a little bit different. Not sure if it is just a matter of particular blade or they have some different types of Koto.

Reactions: ttarc
So after testing a few blades this summer, I decided to keep Skachkov carbon as my main one.
Playing with this one more and more I still don't find any weak spots for me. I can do all I want to.
My next step is to test softer BH rubber — Xiom Europe. I don't have a strong top-spin on BH side, so probably it will help.

Reactions: JEANJB
For those who are still interested in the blade how it combines with rubbers a small update after months of usage.
I've changed DHS 8-80 to Nittaku Hurricane Pro III Turbo Orange on FH.
For me it was a logical upgrade, because I love to play with sticky rubber on FH, but 8-80 was quite softish and uncontrolled for flat shots.

Nittaku Hurricane Pro III Turbo Orange fixed the issue, it is more powerful and grippy and works better for flat shots.
And I think it perfectly fits Donic Skachkov Carbon, because I still have enough feeling/vibration, but at the same time I can do anything I want to: super short balls, powerful shots, spinny shots.

In general I'm not sure that I can find a better combination for the price and playing style, but my curiosity leaded my to the shop again :).

So I've bought another one with ST handle. A little bit heavier this time. I'm going to use it for experiments with rubbers. I ordered Yinhe Juniper 3 Asia 39" and Palio Hadou 40+ 42-44 just to check what I can get out of the blade with cheaper rubbers.

Here is the video on how I usually prepare any blade before using it. English subs are there.

azv

This user has no status.

azv

This user has no status.
Jun 2017
It's a great blade, can do everything well!

I’ve been playing with G1 and p1r. It can block close to the table, chop from mid and long distance with the pips providing good control, and it gets a good amount of reversal!
With the FH it can attack very well, I like it with higher throw rubbers like g1, rakza z or t05, all of them work well, I did try it with a nittaku factive and it had great control, very easy and consistent to flat hit (would be great for bh if I didn't play with lp).

It’s fast but not too fast, I would rate it off- to off, something between a Viscaria and a if alc or a korbel (for example a 100g korbel is faster). The feel is slightly muted but has good vibrations and feedback from the ball, similar to a IF ALC but a bit crispier contact from the koto outer piles.

The blade is quite linear on power delivery, not like others that have clear and distinct gears once you engage the carbon.

The blade size is larger than normal, about 159x152mm, rubbers cut for a Korbel fit well giving it a hair of distance between the handle and where you land the rubber, so no weird shapes like donic eggs.
Weight is about 85g with the balance towards the head, the wood in the handle is very light, gets head heavy easily. The ST version is square and thick, very comfortable for big hands and great to twiddle.

The finish quality is ok, not like premium blades that cost three times more, it can use some sanding and requires lacquering, or you'll rip off the outer ply when changing rubbers. Considering the price I think it's a hit from Donic!

Reactions: kolyasya
This user has no status.
For those who are still interested in the blade how it combines with rubbers a small update after months of usage.
I've changed DHS 8-80 to Nittaku Hurricane Pro III Turbo Orange on FH.
For me it was a logical upgrade, because I love to play with sticky rubber on FH, but 8-80 was quite softish and uncontrolled for flat shots.

Nittaku Hurricane Pro III Turbo Orange fixed the issue, it is more powerful and grippy and works better for flat shots.
And I think it perfectly fits Donic Skachkov Carbon, because I still have enough feeling/vibration, but at the same time I can do anything I want to: super short balls, powerful shots, spinny shots.

In general I'm not sure that I can find a better combination for the price and playing style, but my curiosity leaded my to the shop again :).

So I've bought another one with ST handle. A little bit heavier this time. I'm going to use it for experiments with rubbers. I ordered Yinhe Juniper 3 Asia 39" and Palio Hadou 40+ 42-44 just to check what I can get out of the blade with cheaper rubbers.

Here is the video on how I usually prepare any blade before using it. English subs are there.
Hi, I have a question for you about this blade. How well do the soft rubbers play on the backhand? I was wondering if I should go Rakza 7/ Rakza 7 soft setup for this. I also considered Friendship battle II in case if rakza 7 would be too fast for my forehand. How does this blade compare to H301? I assume they have the same layer composition but they look very different.

Hi, I have a question for you about this blade. How well do the soft rubbers play on the backhand? I was wondering if I should go Rakza 7/ Rakza 7 soft setup for this. I also considered Friendship battle II in case if rakza 7 would be too fast for my forehand. How does this blade compare to H301? I assume they have the same layer composition but they look very different.
Hey, I haven't used H301 so can't compare.
Regarding the rubber: it all depends on what do you want to get. Rakza 7 and Battle II are completely different rubbers. Probably I would use a hybrid one if Rakza is too fast. Rakza soft will be really soft because of koto ply. So it is good one to have a lot of control and build up technic. But it will not be fast.
On my current setup I use Yinhe Jupiter 3 39" on FH. I like it much more than H3.
Ordered to test 37" on BH.

Reactions: h3llary
Very useful info

Why do you prefer it to Viscaria?

Which rubber on bh are you using? I'm downgrading to Omega 7 Europe after one season with Dan platinum M
Hey, I don't prefer it to Viscaria. I just had a chance to compare for a single time.
But I can tell you benefits of Skachkov as I see it:
Almost the same structure for a 30% of a price
Squarish and longer ST handle
Different shape of the playing surface with wider but lower "wings" (I like it soo much)
Better handle design :)
The playing characteristics are close, but different. So need choose what fits more your playing style. I would say that Skachkov is quite linear. So it gives me confidence and I know what to expect depending on my shot's power.

Reactions: Fedex78