Funny training method for behind the table looping

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I was playing with a friend recently in a public table tennis facility and tables there are rather close next to each other (maybe 3-4 meters of space between tables).

Then just for fun we played diagonally across two tables from my side of the table to the opposing side of the other table.

To my surprise that was pretty fun and we were able to play higher arc loop rallies from table to table.

Has anyone ever tried that and could that be a funny method to practice mid to far distance looping?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I was playing with a friend recently in a public table tennis facility and tables there are rather close next to each other (maybe 3-4 meters of space between tables).

Then just for fun we played diagonally across two tables from my side of the table to the opposing side of the other table.

To my surprise that was pretty fun and we were able to play higher arc loop rallies from table to table.

Has anyone ever tried that and could that be a funny method to practice mid to far distance looping?

What you did is quite popular.
One of my mates, many years ago in his Belgium super division club, they would get blank blades (no rubbers) and hit like that across 5 tables, and you would need to RUN. the rule was to lob high though, as 5 tables is quite a distance to cover.
and of course landing the ball on the table you aimed for also required very good accuracy - with no rubbers to exist you.

From training, players will not enough power or small strokes, I would give them extended tables (2 tables long) drills to loop .
I also feed multiballs over 2 or 3 tables (next to each other)
and just like VVK1 provided, At times we also have fun with a 4 table "table". And we would use the surrounds as nets.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
This is OK for fun. However, the trick with looping is knowing the right spin to speed ratio. It should be obvious that with the extra distance it is easier to land the ball because air resistance slows down the ball and gives gravity more time to make the ball drop onto the table.

The speed of the ball drops by about 1/2 for every 5 meters of travel. I can provide a plot of ball speed vs distance if anybody cares.

Most of what you guys call loops are really just gravity making the arc or you are hitting the ball from above net height, so a real loop isn't required.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

I will tell you what is fun

1233020_614187748632151_649995901_o.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: vvk1
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
This is OK for fun. However, the trick with looping is knowing the right spin to speed ratio. It should be obvious that with the extra distance it is easier to land the ball because air resistance slows down the ball and gives gravity more time to make the ball drop onto the table.

The speed of the ball drops by about 1/2 for every 5 meters of travel. I can provide a plot of ball speed vs distance if anybody cares.

Most of what you guys call loops are really just gravity making the arc or you are hitting the ball from above net height, so a real loop isn't required.

I think most decent players on this forum know what a loop is and how to hit one... Unless this is a joke, which in that case is rather funny.