Returning to TT after 35 years

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
Hi, i have just rediscovered my love of TT after nearly 35 years and urgently need to update my equipment both blade and rubbers. To give you an idea my current setup is a Stiga 2000 blade and butterfly shriver rubber d13 on both sides, i did say it had been a longtime. I need recommendations on a good all round blade and rubbers i still play a reasonable attacking game and I'm stronger on my FH but prefer to block, counter attack and occaissional back hand top spin/loop. I would say i was quite a good club standard player in my youth and im still pretty quick around the table. I've read reviews on blades and rubbers and given they aren't cheap I want to get it right.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
If you want to ease your way in with something cheap first, I would recommend Palio AK47 on both sides or Yinhe Moon Speed. You can buy them for $13, so you won't feel the pressure of getting it right. But in any case, they are good rubbers and definitely more modern than your Sriver.

Otherwise, Xiom Vega is often thought of as an entry-level and all-around pro rubber.

I don't know your blade specifically, but it's really more rubbers that have advanced a lot more than blades.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Screenshot%2020220820%20202715%20png.png

Here is a complete setup from TT11. If you don't like this one they will have a new batch of sale items on Monday.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.

i would recommend a Nittaku Factive on BH and maybe a Vega Intro on FH.
I alsoe came back after 28 years or more.
That was my prefered setup,and i played the new version of my old Blade a Donic Waldner Offensive 2016.
i would choose a 5 ply Blade to start.
Gl and welome Back,we missed it long enough!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I was in the same place 13 years ago. Don't buy a cheap paddle . Spend at least $50. Rubber will come and go but a good paddle is a keeper.
Don't buy a paddle that is too fast. Offensive-- is a good place to start. Don't spend a lot on expensive rubbers. They are good but not that good. You should be able to get good rubber for about $30-$40 USD.

Once you have played a while you will know better what to get for rubbers then next time.

This user has no status.
Yeah you can get a custum blade for almost that (5ply as is his old Stiga Blade?)
He probably could use his Blade still?
the Nittaku Violin is really good,but let´s be fair also expensive.
But tbh i guess the 5 ply wood is the biggest Market in Blades volume wise i guess,so there are so many options.
I don´t know his budget.

Last edited:
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi John,

Great that you are back playing!!!

Butterfly Primorac is a good off- blade at a reasonable price. Tees Sport are the ‘Official’ UK Butterfly main dealer.

Most modern rubbers will feel more lively than your old Sriver!!
I started back playing about 4 yrs ago after a similar length hiatus and put Stiga Mantra M on my old Tamca 5000, oopps too fast bouncy etc!!!
There are loads of rubbers out there now, so many to choose from, I have tried quite a few but really like the modern Hybrid rubbers, bouncy sponge with tacky top sheet, Yasaka Rakza Z is very good and seems to be very durable,

TT11 is a great store, if you do buy from them just watch what the total spend value is, £135+ and some import taxes could kick in. Check on HMRC, they include the delivery charges the store makes as well !!! (TT11 don’t stock Butterfly).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
I was in the same place 13 years ago. Don't buy a cheap paddle . Spend at least $50. Rubber will come and go but a good paddle is a keeper.
Don't buy a paddle that is too fast. Offensive-- is a good place to start. Don't spend a lot on expensive rubbers. They are good but not that good. You should be able to get good rubber for about $30-$40 USD.

Once you have played a while you will know better what to get for rubbers then next time.

Tthanks for the response but can you recommend some blades for around £50 that I could look at. In the UK if I bought new shriver d13L they are about $30-40 but from what I've read there are better rubbers out there for this money, but which ones and I was thinking of going for a faster rubber on my forehand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022

I was thinking of spending around £50 for a blade and around £30-40 per side of rubber. My existing shriver rubber is 1.5m, i like to feel the rubber so I've always stayed clear of 2mm thickness in the past as found them difficult to control and return strong spin services. I was thinking of a faster rubber on my for hand which is my strongest side

This user has no status.
the old classics are as expensive as the newer Entry Level Tensors,which are optimized for the 40 Plastic Ball.
You could just refreash your old Rubbers but i would surely go the new route,considering if want to stay up to date.
Sooner or later you will probably switch to the new generation anyhow.
If you set a Budget it might help to see whats the best bang for the Buck so to Speak is.
But Xiom Vega Intro and Nittaku Factive are good choices in my humble opinion.(47.5 and 45 Shore scale)
so the sponge from the Vega Intro is faster for your FH and the Factive is a good choice for BH.
Even a Joola Rhyzen Fire could come into play if you want a more spinnier but slower rubber,wasn´t quite my thing tbh.
It also depends on your strokes,if you play close to the table,halfdistance,etc.
A Butterfly Primorac is also quite a good Blade,and you could have played it anyway back in the days.
A STiga Clipper is the most common ALL Blade in the World,Banda is now again on the market but rebranded from another manufacturer (can´t really claim that)
There is even a Thread about the new version about the Hans Alser.
So if you can say your budget it would be really a hint at what you looking at.
And you can buy in a Local store and link it to see what they got there if you don´t want to order via Internet.
Gl to you SIr!
Welcome back.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022

Thanks, which Xiom Vega do you mean there are 4 on Teeside at 1.8m (I don't want them too bouncy or difficult to control, as my shriver rubbers were replaced 5 years ago but never used and they are 1.5m)
Vega X
Vega Euro
Vega Tour
Vega Pro

these range from £35 to £45 per sheet

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022

Bbudget around £50 for the blade and around £35 for each side of rubber which is roughly what I paid for my shriver 5 years ago (but didn't end up using it until very recently and they seem very bouncy now so having problems blocking and counter hitting.

This user has no status.
Lets See
That would be MY recommendation,you have The Nittaku Factive 1.4 mm for BH and the Vega Intro in 1.5mm on FH.
Altough i would mostly recommend 1.8 cause of the new Polyball,but if that thickness is your comfort Zone stick with it.
The Stiga Clipper is expensive but one of the most solid choices out there,if you can mount your rubbers yourself,you can just refresh them on your old STiga Modell,to see the differences with the rubbers more.
5 ply Blades is really a question if you want to stay in the All+ speed range or go a bit more offensive.
Keep in Mind you can order a custum Blade also from SDC or so,which is the same amount as the Clipper!
Primorac Off-,Donic Person Powerplay,Apellgreen Allplay and my prefered choice the Waldner 2016 offensive (J.O SHape is the question there,and if you like that headsize).
5 Ply All Wood Blades

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews

Bbudget around £50 for the blade and around £35 for each side of rubber which is roughly what I paid for my shriver 5 years ago (but didn't end up using it until very recently and they seem very bouncy now so having problems blocking and counter hitting.

Go for a 5-ply wooden blade like Sanwei Accumulator S, Loki V5, Haitian Y1 or something similar and a couple of Pimplepark - Epos. Super rubber with a mild catapult and good grip. Max is 1.9mm and it makes it really controllable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022

Any particular Vega rubber as there are several ie should I start with the Intro?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Hi, i have just rediscovered my love of TT after nearly 35 years and urgently need to update my equipment both blade and rubbers. To give you an idea my current setup is a Stiga 2000 blade and butterfly shriver rubber d13 on both sides, i did say it had been a longtime. I need recommendations on a good all round blade and rubbers i still play a reasonable attacking game and I'm stronger on my FH but prefer to block, counter attack and occaissional back hand top spin/loop. I would say i was quite a good club standard player in my youth and im still pretty quick around the table. I've read reviews on blades and rubbers and given they aren't cheap I want to get it right.

0376997e2d5c8d92ba4ff97d7e5ad63a.jpg

Butterfly Falcima all wood 5 ply blade with Rozena rubbbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Haraold