Lesson Learned - I regret Boosting my Stiga DNA Dragon Grip

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
Oh my GOD 😪 😥
Hello everyone, I hope you're enjoying your Monday :)

My blade is the Stiga Cybershape, and I have on both sides the rubbers Stiga DNA Dragon Grip.
I decided to test the booster Haifu and Falco, 2 and 3 layers on both sides. My testing started 2~3 months ago.
They felt good during training sessions. I had some concerns with the grip and spin, but not a big deal.

Last Saturday, I decided to test them in a local tournament in South California "LATTA".
Long story SHORT, it was a HUGE mess 🤣

BEHAVIORS
- Sometimes, the rubbers didn't brush the ball and it just fell to the floor.
- My deadly serves were returned easily for even beginners. I think I put pretty decent amount of spin on those.
- My biggest weapons with topspin and sidespin were returned like nothing 😆
- Both rubbers on both paddles "Main" and "Backup" had cuts on the surface, for small contact with the table. FRAGILE after booster.

Note: The Club doesn't have A/C and it was HOT like Hell. Maybe it helped a bit to those behaviors.

KNOWLEDGE
I 'm aware of a lot or PROs boosting their ESN rubbers. Some of them, want just the fastest paddle. For me, a big risk to be blocked easily using just speed.
I know how to boost rubbers. Maybe this sticky rubber doesn't behave well.
My game style goes for SPIN 🙂

SUMMARY
I'm going to use rubbers WITHOUT booster, starting this week

Boosted%20Stiga%20DNA%20Dragon%20Grip%20jpg.jpeg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Oh my GOD 😪 😥

My blade is the Stiga Cybershape, and I have on both sides the rubbers Stiga DNA Dragon Grip.
I decided to test the booster Haifu and Falco, 2 and 3 layers on both sides. My testing started 2~3 months ago.
They felt good during training sessions. I had some concerns with the grip and spin, but not a big deal.

Last Saturday, I decided to test them in a local tournament in South California "LATTA".

BEHAVIORS
- My deadly serves were returned easily for even beginners. I think I put pretty decent amount of spin on those.
- Both rubbers on both paddles "Main" and "Backup" had cuts on the surface, for small contact with the table. FRAGILE after booster.

Note: The Club doesn't have A/C and it was HOT like Hell. Maybe it helped a bit to those behaviors.

KNOWLEDGE
I 'm aware of a lot or PROs boosting their ESN rubbers. Some of them, want just the fastest paddle. For me, a big risk to be blocked easily using just speed.

SUMMARY

all sticky topsheets are very susceptible to low or high temperatures and humidity. throw angle increases, spin is lost. "nothing new under the sun."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Hey Victor, I always thought you're loops look very spinny and penetrating. Why not try playing with boosted H3 or Battle 2? You're style might be a good fit for that.

Reactions: VictorMoraga
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
Hey Victor, I always thought you're loops look very spinny and penetrating. Why not try playing with boosted H3 or Battle 2? You're style might be a good fit for that.
Hey Michael, many players or Coaches suggested me to do that before.
To be honest, I don't want to waste time boosting rubbers.
But for me, the worst is that you can't boost in the same way or the same amount. That means playing with a different rubber every time.

For now, I will keep just my known stuff a stay away from BOOSTER. Let's see how it goes again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Hey Michael, many players or Coaches suggested me to do that before.
To be honest, I don't want to waste time boosting rubbers.
But for me, the worst is that you can't boost in the same way or the same amount. That means playing with a different rubber every time.

For now, I will keep just my known stuff a stay away from BOOSTER. Let's see how it goes again.

Hehe, I always think boosting is fun. It's kind of exciting to see how the rubber will turn out.

• Haha
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Oh my GOD 😪 😥

BEHAVIORS

KNOWLEDGE

SUMMARY

The heat, lack of A/C and associated humidity are the likeliest culprits for what you had observed. Nothing to do with the booster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Yep. Like said earlier. It's the moist and sweat from hands making the rubbers not grip the ball allright. It happens sometimes. I attended to a tournament where I at the afternoon couldn't loop at all with my H3 and had to lift the ball with flat hits. No grip at all because of the moist atmosphere in the arena. So frustrating.

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
A quick update,
I glued NEW rubbers yesterday "NO Booster"
And the spin and control are higher.
Less speed of course, but the control and spin are just amazing.
We can't have everything.
And with Booster the rubber turned way too fragile..
I will see how it goes in the next 2 local tournaments without Booster. 😊 🙌

Last edited:
Reactions: lodro and mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
A quick update,
I glued NEW rubbers yesterday "NO Booster"
And the spin and control are higher.
Less speed of course, but the control and spin are just amazing.
We can't have everything.
And with Booster the rubber turned way too fragile..
I will see how it goes in the next 2 local tournaments without Booster. 😊 🙌

What did you do with the boosted rubber? Did you try playing it again in the non-humid gym as some people suggested?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Here are my 2 Cents at boosting ESN / Euro Rubbers:

They need a lot less booster than Chinese ones.

Most higher level players I know (like 2 and 3 league in Germany) boost one layer. And then mostly not with Dianchi, Seamon or Falcon. There is a really thin booster around in Germany which works great with ESN Rubbers.

But most Rubbers will be complety overboosted with more than 2 thin layers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Here are my 2 Cents at boosting ESN / Euro Rubbers:

They need a lot less booster than Chinese ones.

Most higher level players I know (like 2 and 3 league in Germany) boost one layer. And then mostly not with Dianchi, Seamon or Falcon. There is a really thin booster around in Germany which works great with ESN Rubbers.

But most Rubbers will be complety overboosted with more than 2 thin layers.

What about for boosting ESN rubbers that are used and older?

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014

What about for boosting ESN rubbers that are used and older?

To be honest Michael. If someone wants to compete seriously, nobody is thinking to re-boost old or used rubbers.
Just glue a new rubber.
For now, I'm training 5 days a week, and I have to put new rubbers monthly.
And if you want to re- boost OLD rubber, it will get an unpredictable behavior and you don't want that, right?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
I boost all my rubbers and use only ESN rubbers and I never use more than 1 layer. I did two layers once and it completely bricked the rubber. While one layer softens it up and allows you to give more speed and spin, 2 layers goes too far. With 2 layers the rubber will dome too much thus causing glueing to stretch the rubber out massively, resulting in an uncontrolable mess.
2-3 layers is for H3 and such, which are harder than a concrete slab and need those layers to become softer and useable.

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
I boost all my rubbers and use only ESN rubbers and I never use more than 1 layer. I did two layers once and it completely bricked the rubber. While one layer softens it up and allows you to give more speed and spin, 2 layers goes too far. With 2 layers the rubber will dome too much thus causing glueing to stretch the rubber out massively, resulting in an uncontrolable mess.
2-3 layers is for H3 and such, which are harder than a concrete slab and need those layers to become softer and useable.
Just one layer sounds reasonable.
Good advice.
I have 2 paddles to test tomorrow in a HOT and Humid Club.
1st Paddle > One layer of Booster on both rubbers
2nd Paddle > No Booster at all
Let's see 👌😊

Reactions: Way Zooted
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Just one layer sounds reasonable.
Good advice.
I have 2 paddles to test tomorrow in a HOT and Humid Club.
1st Paddle > One layer of Booster on both rubbers
2nd Paddle > No Booster at all
Let's see 👌😊

I actually didn't recall seeing how many layers you put on, and forgot to ask.
Now I see, did you put 5 layers on?

and yes, ESN rubbers, I wouldn't put more than 2 too.
The way those sponges absorb is not as good as DHS blue sponge for example. So too much would destroy it.
of course drying time and what not, also plays a role.

and I wish you stay hydrated in that HOT and Humid club

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Regarding the re-boosting an can just agree with Victor:

The rubbers get boosted when new, then played to death. The period between good and dead rubber is very personal. Some like rubbers straight out of the package, others like to break it in for some time.

But everything between 2 and 6 weeks is quite normal, depending on the budget given by your club or your sponsorships ( there are a lot of "semi sponsord" players that get equipment at a heavily discounted rate).