Backspin flick against backspin ball?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Ok, I see now. In the video he hits more side spin but there is some backspin. The fact that he hits it on the bottom of the ball even though it's a side to side motion gives it some backspin. At first I didn't think there was backspin but watching the return shot dive into the net tells me there has to be backspin.

yes, sure, but the very fact that he hits it from below means that it is not a flick (where you would hit it either from the back/side or the side/top), but rather a push. The movement before ball contact is irrelevant.

Just imagine me preparing to swing a forhand loop and in the last minute turning my arm and wrist down playing a push from below the ball. Can i then tell somebody that i just invented a topspin push ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
its definitely possible. Among pros, Mima ITO does it quite often when receiving, i see also Simon GAUZY doing it often.it used to be a novelty, but more and more pro players are using this technique.watch their matches.

when you see them doing the flick and the opponent putting their opening topspin in the net and perhaps scratching their heads, thats the one.

I remember a shot in Dans review with Gauzy where Dan goes to play a shot with a bit of what he thinks is topspin, and it hits the bat and goes under the table as its loaded with backspin.