Backspin flick against backspin ball?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes, it is possible.
it will be more side+backspin than pure backspin

your contact point need to be below the center line of the ball

these backspin flick, top spin push are just some of the new ways that is out for the past 5 years or so.
But still not really used a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Yes, it is possible.
it will be more side+backspin than pure backspin

your contact point need to be below the center line of the ball

these backspin flick, top spin push are just some of the new ways that is out for the past 5 years or so.
But still not really used a lot.
i challenge you to show me a top spin push and a backspin flick.
The pure definition of a push is to hit it from below and over the table.
if you hit it from below and move the racket in the direction you would need to to create top spin (which would be moving the paddle to yourself) you would play the ball into your own direction and not over the net.

Similarily a backspin flick would most likely drag the ball into the net.
I'm confused. I thought "flick" usually means a short round wrist stroke starting low and ending up high. How could you possibly make that back spin if you finish high?
You are correct and i am very curious about how Tony wants to proof his claims.

It is of course possible to flick a backspin ball, but that is something totally different. So either this is an issue of incorrectly describing things or something that to me is physically not possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: brokenball
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
i challenge you to show me a top spin push and a backspin flick.
The pure definition of a push is to hit it from below and over the table.
if you hit it from below and move the racket in the direction you would need to to create top spin (which would be moving the paddle to yourself) you would play the ball into your own direction and not over the net.

Similarily a backspin flick would most likely drag the ball into the net.

You are correct and i am very curious about how Tony wants to proof his claims.

It is of course possible to flick a backspin ball, but that is something totally different. So either this is an issue of incorrectly describing things or something that to me is physically not possible.

I think a flick, or a wrist flick , can be done both ways.
It does not matter if one starts low and finishes high or starting high and finish low...............or not ???😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Check TI Longs channel, there’s a vid on the variations of BH flick, one of which is a back spin flick, it’s ‘sick’ to use a modern term!!!

can you please post the link to that video with exact timestamp ?

the definition of flick is explicitly different from push. If you do a push motion and call it flick it does not become a flick ;)

Reactions: brokenball
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

can you please post the link to that video with exact timestamp ?

the definition of flick is explicitly different from push. If you do a push motion and call it flick it does not become a flick ;)

This correct and when you are sick and tired of pushing the ball back over the net, just to get another pushed backspin ball back, both flicks are means of stopping the terror. Both flicks will drastically increase the spin.😊

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Is it possible to do a backspin flick and if so how do you do it ?
1. Pay a coach to teach you and no, I am not being condescending.

2. It is not an easy stroke as it involves a lot of proper wrist mechanics + entering footwork, timing and feeling, all these ingredients cannot properly be conveyed with words and certainly not through YT / video, at least not effectively. The above is my experience with learning BH flick, which I still sucks at, as I rarely use at all if any.NB:

3. I am also in opinion, blade plays a part as well. Flexy, thinner blade may make it easier to execute this stroke. A thick bulky blade like my 10.5mm thick one play hinoki blade to me seems very difficult to do. At best, I can only BH loop once the ball is outside table and not while inside table.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
as i already expected. He does start with a flick angle of his wrist and then turns the wrist totally so that he actually only does a slight backspin (if at all) and more sidespin push.

https://imgur.com/a/uoaucxk

TnK5kiM.png

Starting the movement as if it was a flick does not make it a flick if the end movement when hitting the ball is a simple push/chop motion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Much easier to go on the side of the ball against backspin. If you want to flip against backspin like Lin Yun Ju with a closed racket angle you need to be able too accelerate very fast. I also think you can get more power if you come close to the ball, squat low and try to put elbow in front.

If you do not want to make spin, you can flip more like forehand flip, like Karakasevic and Pistej - start with an open angle and close according to the amount of backspin then push the ball. More backspin, more open angle and less backspin, more open angle. Very difficult to read the amount of spin correctly.

Good luck.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Ok, I see now. In the video he hits more side spin but there is some backspin. The fact that he hits it on the bottom of the ball even though it's a side to side motion gives it some backspin. At first I didn't think there was backspin but watching the return shot dive into the net tells me there has to be backspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
its definitely possible. Among pros, Mima ITO does it quite often when receiving, i see also Simon GAUZY doing it often.it used to be a novelty, but more and more pro players are using this technique.watch their matches.

when you see them doing the flick and the opponent putting their opening topspin in the net and perhaps scratching their heads, thats the one.

Last edited: