Can you see the ball turning ???

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
There are some studies on baseball pitching on this and most seem to suggest that baseball hitters can't really see spin rate and spin axis but instead pick up shape of ball flight and also some information from the throwing motion and basically create an image of the kind of spin like that.

I would assume with table tennis it is the same, especially when we talk about heavy spin of a few thousand RPM, you probably can't see that but players will be able to read the swing motion of the bat and the curve of the ball flight and reverse engineer the kind of spin like that.
​​​

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
players will be able to read the swing motion of the bat and the curve of the ball flight and reverse engineer the kind of spin like that.
​​​

Indeed, I understand this but with my bad eyesight and slow brain it is not doing me
a lot of good .
I am alright when playing within my league but often I am set against top rated players
who use their trick-serves and by the time I might have a chance to figure out what they are doing it is normally all over 😁

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015

I am alright when playing within my league but often I am set against top rated playerswho use their trick-serves and by the time I might have a chance to figure out what they are doing it is normally all over 😁

Every table tennis player in the world could write this post. The reason much better players are much better is because you can't deal with their spin. If the top-rated players you can't figure out were set against world-class players they would have the same problems you have.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
I have never heard anyone say read spin on the ball. Unless it is very weak serves, otherwise the rotation is so fast that I would need to add boosters to my eyes to read the label.
Instructions unclear. Applied Haifu Seamoon to eyes, eyes gone, lawsuit pending. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Every table tennis player in the world could write this post. The reason much better players are much better is because you can't deal with their spin. If the top-rated players you can't figure out were set against world-class players they would have the same problems you have.

I think OP just got ill advise.

Coaches say, read the spin on the ball.
And then someone literately informs OP to read the spin, ON THE BALL lol

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

I think OP just got ill advise.

Coaches say, read the spin on the ball.
And then someone literately informs OP to read the spin, ON THE BALL lol

Neee, I am the OP, I am ok with Brs's quote.
In the end it might be a matter of semantics . We might be saying Spin ON the ball but
what we really mean is to "Watch the spin OF the ball".

Also to be more precise, and we have now established that nobody can SEE a fast spin,
we agreed that our only chance is to observe the movement of the arm, wrist and blade of the opponents and then let our brain evaluate the data and come up with the counter actions that are needed.
All that in about 1/10 of a second. 😁

Neee, I am the OP, I am ok with Brs's quote.
In the end it might be a matter of semantics . We might be saying Spin ON the ball but
what we really mean is to "Watch the spin OF the ball".

Also to be more precise, and we have now established that nobody can SEE a fast spin,
we agreed that our only chance is to observe the movement of the arm, wrist and blade of the opponents and then let our brain evaluate the data and come up with the counter actions that are needed.
All that in about 1/10 of a second. 😁

Eventually this will come intuitively so don’t need to actively need to think about it.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Just a sanity check.
Movies are displayed a 24 frames per second. Most people cannot see the flicker. That means most people would only see a blur at 24 rps at best.
Some TVs update and 120 fps but the updates are interlaced.
Some people are annoyed at the flicker from 50Hz or 60 Hz light bulbs. I know we had people at work where some claimed they could see a 60 Hz flicker and others could not.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/60hz-flicker-in-led-lights-whether-dimmed-or-not.155763/
I can not see the 60 Hz flicker. Some can.

My company makes motion controller that are used in simulators and "rides" . Most of the simulators generated frames at about 30 Hz or 25 Hz.
The motion controller needs to be kept synchronous to the video frame rate.

SMPTE rates are 29.97.
https://gearspace.com/board/all-thi...98-smpte-timecode-definitive-explanation.html

My company also makes controllers, motors and drives that move knives that cut french fries to remove defects. The knife will come down, cut the fry and then move back up in about 16 ms or 60 Hz. You can't see this happen. This is why I have a high speed color camera.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/Delta Fry Cutting Machine Demo.mp4
Yes, the machines cut fries for McDonald's and other brands.

The point is that I have a lot of experience on viewing or recording high speed actions. That is what I do or did before I retired. I still own half the company.

So, in conclusion, most probably cannot see a ball spinning at 24 rps or movie frame rates and very few can see thing that happen at much higher frequencies. I think most of us are fooled at 25 fps because the images doesn't change much between one frame and another whereas lights are going from off to on and off again which is a big chance.

Reactions: J Bus